Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 22nd Mar 2023, 01:37
  #3281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 572
Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon man
You mean the C scale for new SOs
Prime example
Ladloy is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 02:19
  #3282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 277
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon man
So where have the senior pilots succeeded? The change to bidding went to a vote or did you forget and not one rank on one aircraft was successful. Next please?
ah yesÖthe vote set up to fail! Voting by rank and fleet when people change rank and fleet was a farce.

so an opportunity to screw over only counts if itís a success does it?

letís see what happens with SH.

cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 02:52
  #3283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RealSatoshi
To be replaced by externals coming from where...150+ Cadets?

Once QF Mainline figures this out, recruitment from internals will grind to a slow halt in favour of externals so as not to jeopardise the entire machine. Easier to convince someone from REX or VA to join Mainline, than doing same to join any of the QantasLink or Jetstar group companies.
Absolutely hit the mark there. After waiting over a year QantasLink pilots have now got rough start dates out to 2025. If you join QantasLink now you won't likely see QF until 2026 if you're lucky. Who will join QantasLink with progression like this and pay below the award by the looks of it.
foggier is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 03:05
  #3284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sydney
Posts: 1,459
Received 385 Likes on 102 Posts
And the successful vote was put up to pass by wrapping in up in a vote with large back pay. What you people don’t realise is you have given up your ability to control your lives and your careers . Do you see the North Americans doing something as stupid, of course not they want stability and control which you no longer have. Put it back up again and il bet you it wouldn’t pass.
dragon man is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 06:44
  #3285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 40
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to the topic, what’s the movement looking like for the second half of 2023? Any word if recruitment will need to reopen?
Dawn Patrol is online now  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 09:20
  #3286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol
Back to the topic, whatís the movement looking like for the second half of 2023? Any word if recruitment will need to reopen?

It hasnít stopped I believe. Full up to end of June at the moment and Iím sure it will keep going.
Bumble_Pilot is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 10:13
  #3287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,136
Received 196 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumble_Pilot
It hasnít stopped I believe. Full up to end of June at the moment and Iím sure it will keep going.
I think they mean in terms of reopening recruitment for new applicants.

At this stage theyíre still interviewing people who applied the last time applications were open. There are enough on the hold file currently to fill courses well into next year. So unlikely there will be a reopening for new applications until at least the end of this year.
dr dre is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 11:14
  #3288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 198
Received 133 Likes on 48 Posts
Let's not forget when the last LH EBA came up for negotiation, er, I mean the ultimatum came up, the QF pilots were faced with the following:

Sign it or lose the A350 sunrise flying.
Mass exodus at the time of CX pilots with plenty of experience on airbus. This played on a lot of people's minds when the former LH CEO La Spina made the threats that they'll simply create another entity to do the sunrise flying.
I have no idea of guessing how the vote would have went, but before covid became a thing on the news, most talk I was hearing was to vote it down and take the chance of them creating an international QantasLink.
Early 2020 Covid hits the news. Very quickly everyone is worried as countries begin to close borders and everyone over the age of 30 has flash backs to the GFC, 9/11 etc. Covid put the nail in the coffin. Nobody was risking a no-vote when the industry was very quickly turning in favour of management.

Look how easily the company is giving away traditional QF routes to QLink subsidiaries domestically. Legally there's nothing the pilot group or the unions can do at the moment with them taking traditional 737 routes and handing them to QLink at half the wage. There is zero legal roadblocks to them creating a new entity for Project Sunrise as East Coast to LHR/NYC has never been done by mainline so they could easily argue it never was our flying to keep.
soseg is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 13:06
  #3289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Upthere
Posts: 98
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by soseg
Let's not forget when the last LH EBA came up for negotiation, er, I mean the ultimatum came up, the QF pilots were faced with the following:

Sign it or lose the A350 sunrise flying.
Mass exodus at the time of CX pilots with plenty of experience on airbus. This played on a lot of people's minds when the former LH CEO La Spina made the threats that they'll simply create another entity to do the sunrise flying.
I have no idea of guessing how the vote would have went, but before covid became a thing on the news, most talk I was hearing was to vote it down and take the chance of them creating an international QantasLink.
Early 2020 Covid hits the news. Very quickly everyone is worried as countries begin to close borders and everyone over the age of 30 has flash backs to the GFC, 9/11 etc. Covid put the nail in the coffin. Nobody was risking a no-vote when the industry was very quickly turning in favour of management.

Look how easily the company is giving away traditional QF routes to QLink subsidiaries domestically. Legally there's nothing the pilot group or the unions can do at the moment with them taking traditional 737 routes and handing them to QLink at half the wage. There is zero legal roadblocks to them creating a new entity for Project Sunrise as East Coast to LHR/NYC has never been done by mainline so they could easily argue it never was our flying to keep.
Wasn't there also the threat that the pilots on the Project Sunrise flights were going to come from China, if the proposed agreement wasn't agreed upon? I do sometimes wonder if such threat would have been followed through, and if so, if that would have backfired on management.
VHOED191006 is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 15:20
  #3290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 33
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Anything is possible nowdays. Company's choice at their sole discretion. Vast lack of solid unity and all important scope clauses have voided the union movement of any significant clout. Next development will be new hires employed on individual contracts with renumeration based on experience. This will in time further continue to divide and conquer the pilot group. Many factors have led to this unfortunate outcome,however the self importance and blatant greed of many senior aircrew has definitely worked in favour of the company.
PPRuNeUser01531 is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 03:10
  #3291 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,361
Received 115 Likes on 46 Posts
The horse has bolted, the industrial advantage was lost years ago with the formation of a ‘Group’ where different entities are played off against each other. The company do have the ability to move flying to other entities and the pilots know that any one group would happily throw another group to the wolves if it means bigger or more exciting aircraft for them. It sucks but it is just the way it is.
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 04:54
  #3292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,136
Received 196 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by soseg
There is zero legal roadblocks to them creating a new entity for Project Sunrise as East Coast to LHR/NYC has never been done by mainline so they could easily argue it never was our flying to keep.
To reiterate the A350 will be operated under the LH EA, and the 321X under the SH EA in mainline, and work has already started on this management wise.
dr dre is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 04:55
  #3293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 572
Received 71 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
The horse has bolted, the industrial advantage was lost years ago with the formation of a ĎGroupí where different entities are played off against each other. The company do have the ability to move flying to other entities and the pilots know that any one group would happily throw another group to the wolves if it means bigger or more exciting aircraft for them. It sucks but it is just the way it is.
I wouldn't say it is just the way it is. I'm sure the US pilots never expected a 40% pay rise this year. Apathy is management's best friend.
Ladloy is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 05:45
  #3294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 198
Received 133 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
To reiterate the A350 will be operated under the LH EA, and the 321X under the SH EA in mainline, and work has already started on this management wise.
Yes. Iím just saying that look how blurred the lines are in domestic with the subsids taking 737 routes and zero chance of pilots arguing that itís an illegal transfer of business.

Sunrise hasnít been done yet. Thereís nothing stopping them from giving it to another entity, new or existing.
soseg is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 05:53
  #3295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are we saying, There is a genuine chance that mainline could be shut down and all flying moved to other groups? Well SH at least?
Bumble_Pilot is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 06:26
  #3296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 435
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumble_Pilot
Are we saying, There is a genuine chance that mainline could be shut down and all flying moved to other groups? Well SH at least?
29 A220s (so far) along the east coast with Alliance taking NJSsí current work. Certainly looks that way.
aussieflyboy is online now  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 07:01
  #3297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 239
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With around 800 training slots forecast on 73 in next five years and rumour of training being done overseas to keep up with demand I donít think SH is going anywhere soon.
engine out is online now  
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 07:10
  #3298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by engine out
With around 800 training slots forecast on 73 in next five years and rumour of training being done overseas to keep up with demand I donít think SH is going anywhere soon.
This. There is a reason the airline is recruiting like crazy, and it's not because they like paying extra money to pilots. It is that simple, people need to stop jumping at shadows.
H-Dog is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 08:40
  #3299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,136
Received 196 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by H-Dog
This. There is a reason the airline is recruiting like crazy, and it's not because they like paying extra money to pilots. It is that simple, people need to stop jumping at shadows.
Projected recruitment minus projected retirements still leaves a net gain of pilots about double what the A350 will require, so extra aircraft or extra utilisation of current aircraft is being planned for in the next 5 years beyond the A350. They arenít planning on getting rid of a whole fleet of aircraft.
dr dre is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 23rd Mar 2023, 20:39
  #3300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bran Castle
Posts: 210
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by soseg
Yes. Iím just saying that look how blurred the lines are in domestic with the subsids taking 737 routes and zero chance of pilots arguing that itís an illegal transfer of business.

Sunrise hasnít been done yet. Thereís nothing stopping them from giving it to another entity, new or existing.
Can you (or anyone else) please explain to me how the recent legislation regarding multi-employer bargaining debates this exact situation? As far as I'm aware, it's precisely why the group CEO was vehemently against it.
romeocharlie is offline  
The following users liked this post:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.