Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 24th Feb 2023, 02:12
  #3181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 47
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RealSatoshi
That is a very broad statement and theoretically untrue...
Apologies…99% of them.
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2023, 03:11
  #3182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,468
Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76
Correct 6 passed up a start date and already regretting that decision. Just like all the expats who have left Australia for “greener pastures”. Yet they still try and sell living in the US as some magical experience.

As per my previous post - recruitment will continue but will slow for the next 12 months. 787 fleet is stable, yet to see where the numbers fall when SFO and NY start in a few months. 787 and 330 back to MGH.

380 still 12 months away until we see 2 more return. Direct entry SO on Z scale to happen next month

Recruitment for the 350, we all know where that stands. An aircraft not due for the best part of 3 years - the 330 will carry a surplus so they can hire onto the Z scale conditions in the meantime.

If you’re an internal…good luck mid 2024 seems likely
330 is back to MGH because 2 are out for maintenance, and HKG can’t supply enough ground handlers to have 2 A330 flights a day.
morno is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2023, 07:40
  #3183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 1,195
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by morno
330 is back to MGH because 2 are out for maintenance, and HKG can’t supply enough ground handlers to have 2 A330 flights a day.
And how many to EFA? Meanwhile freight rates aren't what they planned on any more
maggot is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2023, 13:22
  #3184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 310
Received 349 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76
Correct 6 passed up a start date and already regretting that decision. Just like all the expats who have left Australia for “greener pastures”. Yet they still try and sell living in the US as some magical experience.

As per my previous post - recruitment will continue but will slow for the next 12 months. 787 fleet is stable, yet to see where the numbers fall when SFO and NY start in a few months. 787 and 330 back to MGH.

380 still 12 months away until we see 2 more return. Direct entry SO on Z scale to happen next month

Recruitment for the 350, we all know where that stands. An aircraft not due for the best part of 3 years - the 330 will carry a surplus so they can hire onto the Z scale conditions in the meantime.

If you’re an internal…good luck mid 2024 seems likely
I personally know about 10 guys flying in the USA at the moment. Close friends too, not distant. All loving it.
In fact one went there years ago before the hype and has returned for family reasons to fly for a subsidiary here in Oz. Biggest regret of his life. Already considering going back.
soseg is online now  
The following users liked this post:
Old 24th Feb 2023, 22:55
  #3185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 1,048
Received 694 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by soseg
I personally know about 10 guys flying in the USA at the moment. Close friends too, not distant. All loving it.
In fact one went there years ago before the hype and has returned for family reasons to fly for a subsidiary here in Oz. Biggest regret of his life. Already considering going back.
This has been my experience too. Australia is not the utopia that the die hards insist it is, it’s quite literally a middle of the road joint in which to exist.

https://michaelwest.com.au/sharehold...ers-and-staff/

If the sort of things in this article are deemed to be ok, nay, applauded and encouraged industrial behaviour, it’s going to get a lot worse.
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 25th Feb 2023, 00:52
  #3186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: FNQ ... It's Permanent!
Posts: 4,290
Received 169 Likes on 86 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying that flying in Australia is utopia.

But the majority of people born here are more than happy to settle down and make a career at home. Some may have different dreams, and the flexibility and motivation to travel to other countries and jump through their hoops! Good for them.

Having done the hard yards with foreign licensing and getting to know your new neighbours, there's plenty of incentive to make a go of it.
But it won't work out for everyone.
Capt Fathom is online now  
Old 25th Feb 2023, 02:36
  #3187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 637
Received 119 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gordonfvckingramsay
This has been my experience too. Australia is not the utopia that the die hards insist it is, it’s quite literally a middle of the road joint in which to exist. https://michaelwest.com.au/sharehold...ers-and-staff/ If the sort of things in this article are deemed to be ok, nay, applauded and encouraged industrial behaviour, it’s going to get a lot worse.
that's a really well written news story for Aviation related matters
Ladloy is offline  
Old 25th Feb 2023, 04:20
  #3188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kichin
Posts: 1,048
Received 694 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladloy
that's a really well written news story for Aviation related matters
Ain’t independence grand?
gordonfvckingramsay is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 04:39
  #3189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Australia
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking to a friend recently they told me JQ has taken some new FOs straight from QGPA in Toowoomba, first job, fresh CPL/MEIR. Straight into the right seat of a A320. This doesn't have next major accident written all over it does it? I wonder if the line training Captains know that they will be basically single pilot ops for quite some time while the guys/gals slowly work their way up from past row 30 over the course of many many months. It seems ridiculous in a country with such a well developed GA industry that they think this is the best they can get.
Contigo is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 05:11
  #3190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 94
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Contigo
Speaking to a friend recently they told me JQ has taken some new FOs straight from QGPA in Toowoomba, first job, fresh CPL/MEIR. Straight into the right seat of a A320. This doesn't have next major accident written all over it does it? I wonder if the line training Captains know that they will be basically single pilot ops for quite some time while the guys/gals slowly work their way up from past row 30 over the course of many many months. It seems ridiculous in a country with such a well developed GA industry that they think this is the best they can get.
Wow.

Let’s not forget aviation in Europe. Most of their first jobs are the right seat of a B737/A320. Absolutely no difference here.

A pilot is a product of the company who trains them, the QF group have a good reputation in this instance and the decision making of these individuals will come in due course.

They will be perfectly safe operators.
transition_alt is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 05:22
  #3191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Outback
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Contigo
Speaking to a friend recently they told me JQ has taken some new FOs straight from QGPA in Toowoomba, first job, fresh CPL/MEIR. Straight into the right seat of a A320. This doesn't have next major accident written all over it does it? I wonder if the line training Captains know that they will be basically single pilot ops for quite some time while the guys/gals slowly work their way up from past row 30 over the course of many many months. It seems ridiculous in a country with such a well developed GA industry that they think this is the best they can get.
I don’t even want to think about the dive salaries will continue too take…
xaos03 is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 05:27
  #3192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 265
Received 178 Likes on 56 Posts
For all of Jetstar's many faults and incompetence, the training department are very good at doing this. Won't be an issue. The one thing they do much better than Qantas.
cLeArIcE is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 07:24
  #3193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 108
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Contigo
This doesn't have next major accident written all over it does it?
Do you realize Jetstar has been hiring pilots with a bare CPL/MECIR and some with sub 200 hours since approximately 2011? Many of whom now have commands and some are even the training captains themselves now.
Sparrows. is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 07:54
  #3194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 637
Received 119 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparrows.
Do you realize Jetstar has been hiring pilots with a bare CPL/MECIR and some with sub 200 hours since approximately 2011? Many of whom now have commands and some are even the training captains themselves now.
but but but GA experience!
Ladloy is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Ladloy:
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 08:42
  #3195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: tossbagville
Posts: 795
Received 176 Likes on 102 Posts
that's a really well written news story for Aviation related matters
Except for the bastard criticising RSL's, I'd rather hang out in a rissole than a qantas lounge any day, especially Friday arvo at happy hour, or when the Mentals are playing.
tossbag is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 11:22
  #3196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,468
Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Contigo
Speaking to a friend recently they told me JQ has taken some new FOs straight from QGPA in Toowoomba, first job, fresh CPL/MEIR. Straight into the right seat of a A320. This doesn't have next major accident written all over it does it? I wonder if the line training Captains know that they will be basically single pilot ops for quite some time while the guys/gals slowly work their way up from past row 30 over the course of many many months. It seems ridiculous in a country with such a well developed GA industry that they think this is the best they can get.
Why would it have accident written all over it? It’s not a space shuttle

As others have just said, you realise that Jetstar has been doing it for a number of years right? And a fair majority of the world also does it? And actually you know what, I reckon if you did a search of air transport jet hull accidents over the years, you wouldn’t find many where the FO had 200hrs.
morno is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2023, 18:00
  #3197 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,432
Received 207 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Contigo
Speaking to a friend recently they told me JQ has taken some new FOs straight from QGPA in Toowoomba, first job, fresh CPL/MEIR. Straight into the right seat of a A320. This doesn't have next major accident written all over it does it? I wonder if the line training Captains know that they will be basically single pilot ops for quite some time while the guys/gals slowly work their way up from past row 30 over the course of many many months. It seems ridiculous in a country with such a well developed GA industry that they think this is the best they can get.
what a ridiculous comment, who says the 200 hour recruits aren’t ‘the best’ Jetstar can get. Working in GA doesn’t guarantee the person is some kind of aviation hotshot.
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 10:30
  #3198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 39
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone in the know tell me the pro’s/cons of going SO widebodies VS FO narrows?
Bumble_Pilot is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 11:29
  #3199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lower North Shore
Posts: 277
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumble_Pilot
Can someone in the know tell me the pro’s/cons of going SO widebodies VS FO narrows?
My brief 2 cents.

SO lifestyle is good. Big blocks of time off. Commutable from almost anywhere in Aus if you choose. QOL reduces when you owe hours / blank line as days off are not protected.

A new hire FO will be paid better than any B-Scale SO regardless of fleet. You will work significantly more than most SOs, but when you're on top of the cage you can generally have a fair amount of time off if you want it. Commuting is not impossible but significantly more difficult. 28 day rosters may suit you better and days off are protected.

Worth noting, you cannot regress from FO-->SO under normal circumstances if you decide to take the 737 day one and it doesn't work for you.
Brakerider is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2023, 12:08
  #3200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 94
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Brakerider
My brief 2 cents.

SO lifestyle is good. Big blocks of time off. Commutable from almost anywhere in Aus if you choose. QOL reduces when you owe hours / blank line as days off are not protected.

A new hire FO will be paid better than any B-Scale SO regardless of fleet. You will work significantly more than most SOs, but when you're on top of the cage you can generally have a fair amount of time off if you want it. Commuting is not impossible but significantly more difficult. 28 day rosters may suit you better and days off are protected.

Worth noting, you cannot regress from FO-->SO under normal circumstances if you decide to take the 737 day one and it doesn't work for you.
Are they giving people the choice between SO/FO when they commence?
transition_alt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.