Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 11th May 2022, 01:47
  #2801 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 443
Received 121 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by woke2022
enough arguing about CARs / if your too cheap to pay $100 for a first aid certificate to be eligible for a job you really want then please dont join an airline or you'll be the guy taking the toilet rolls of the plane

Moving on. Anyone heard much? are they doing it in stages after a group have done online aptitude inviting them for interviews or waiting until all applicants complete online testing?
What about the $1400 medical that had to be completed prior to be offered a spot on the hold fileÖ

But wait, if your an internal applicant your already employed/paid/required to abide by Qantas and their policiesÖ why should you be paying anything?? You chump are the reason the race to the bottom continues.

Last edited by aussieflyboy; 11th May 2022 at 03:48.
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 11th May 2022, 01:51
  #2802 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Lost in Space
Posts: 275
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woke2022
enough arguing about CARs / if your too cheap to pay $100 for a first aid certificate to be eligible for a job you really want then please dont join an airline or you'll be the guy taking the toilet rolls of the plane

Moving on. Anyone heard much? are they doing it in stages after a group have done online aptitude inviting them for interviews or waiting until all applicants complete online testing?
I expect you may have supported the qualification of ďworking from heightsĒ requirements as well?

Last edited by t_cas; 11th May 2022 at 03:30.
t_cas is offline  
Old 11th May 2022, 02:38
  #2803 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Oztralia
Posts: 176
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Toilet rolls are a valuable commodity
SixDemonBag is offline  
Old 11th May 2022, 11:04
  #2804 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 152
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist
Every ferry / freight flight Iíve seen / done is heavy crewed.
Thatís funny. You donít work for Qf then.
regitaekilthgiwt is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 07:27
  #2805 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: perth
Posts: 63
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes a lot of people
kjvmw is online now  
Old 26th May 2022, 07:38
  #2806 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 576
Received 73 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by woke2022
any update on the recruitment front? Are people progressing from testing to interviews etc?
I know about 5 turboprop drivers who have completed interviews and sim rides but nothing past that.
Ladloy is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 08:12
  #2807 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 329
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anecdotally, appears to be more progress for pilots from some airlines, and less from others overall
TimmyTee is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 09:08
  #2808 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 576
Received 73 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyTee
Anecdotally, appears to be more progress for pilots from some airlines, and less from others overall
Heard of anyone getting to the hold file stage?
Ladloy is offline  
Old 26th May 2022, 09:25
  #2809 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 443
Received 121 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladloy
Heard of anyone getting to the hold file stage?
Is this the same hold file that has people from 2018 on it?
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 00:08
  #2810 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 106
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy
Is this the same hold file that has people from 2018 on it?
Yes.

And that hold file is forecast to be empty by October. Apparently

130 SOís to be recruited over the next 12 months.
Sparrows. is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 00:16
  #2811 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 576
Received 73 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparrows.
Yes.

And that hold file is forecast to be empty by October. Apparently

130 SOís to be recruited over the next 12 months.
I heard almost 300 required or is it 130 externally?
Ladloy is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 02:30
  #2812 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 329
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Will the 321s coming to short haul create or reduce recruitment opportunities at QF?
TimmyTee is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 03:37
  #2813 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,153
Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TimmyTee
Will the 321s coming to short haul create or reduce recruitment opportunities at QF?
Create opportunities, as long as the variations are voted up and the aircraft comes to mainline of course

Last edited by dr dre; 27th May 2022 at 06:10.
dr dre is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 07:29
  #2814 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Create opportunities, as long as the variations are voted up and the aircraft comes to mainline of course
Donít see how itís creating jobs as itís a replacement for the 737. Thereís only growth if the 737s are staying - which theyíre not.
stillcallozhome is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 07:44
  #2815 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,153
Received 204 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by stillcallozhome
Donít see how itís creating jobs as itís a replacement for the 737. Thereís only growth if the 737s are staying - which theyíre not.
Youíll need more pilots for a new aircraft type to cover instructors, those absent during training etc.

The A321 will cover existing domestic plus potentially more short haul Asian routes, which would be growth above the current numbers. While the 737 remains youíll still be training pilots on to that.
dr dre is offline  
Old 27th May 2022, 08:35
  #2816 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 64
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Youíll need more pilots for a new aircraft type to cover instructors, those absent during training etc.

The A321 will cover existing domestic plus potentially more short haul Asian routes, which would be growth above the current numbers. While the 737 remains youíll still be training pilots on to that.
Sounds like an overlap to me. Doesnít seem very cost effective to hire crews to cover instructors being trained and conversions for existing pilots.

I agree with 321 doing Asian routes which COULD replace 330. Wonít need as many crew either because itís not on LH award.

DA said itís a fleet replacement. This seems a 1 for 1 swap at this stage. The only reason itís the 321 first is so they can squeeze for the variation I reckon. Rest will be 320s in a like for like swap.

Just my 2c.
stillcallozhome is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2022, 01:30
  #2817 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Bne
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BravoSierraLima
I don't think the current version of the cadet scheme is anywhere near the same as the old version, which included industry placement. The current one seems like a fast food franchise (operations conducted by a third party but with visits from head shed to keep an eye on things, some mentoring and to validate the logo on the front door). Two graduates were in a recent QLink intake of Dash 8 FOs.

I can confirm this as a current student, it is a bit of a sausage factory and they vaguely tell you that this is not a cadetship and is entirely run by FTA with Qantas reps coming in every couple of months. The academy does an intake of about 10-20 students every 7 weeks, already upto 18 groups so far with ~100+ graduates in about 2 years. They have plans to ramp up to 250 students a year.

The course is approx. 56 weeks with the only break being a couple of days over Christmas, no other public holidays throughout the year are observed. GS being 8-5 Mon-Fri and flying phases are 6 days a week, very fatiguing/students do burn out.

At the end of it you get CPL, MEIR, ATPL theory and MCC (approx. 150-200 hours total time). You get a spot in the Qantas group future pilot program and then they send you on your way with a big graduation ceremony (noting you still graduate if you have failed ATPL subjects and still need to pass them, it's on you to do this in your own time afterwards).

So far graduates seem to either look for GA jobs up north or get their instructors rating and come back and instruct at the academy, many are on the first job hunt. I've heard of about 2 or 3 graduates so far getting into Qlink. Will be interesting how we fair post covid, whether we've been suckered in with the branding or we'll be given a leg up for Qlink jobs.

Last edited by Flyonthewall2020; 5th Jun 2022 at 20:00.
Flyonthewall2020 is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2022, 09:52
  #2818 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 937
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyonthewall2020
The course is approx. 56 weeks with the only break being a couple of days over Christmas, no other public holidays throughout the year are observed. GS being 8-5 Mon-Fri and flying phases are 6 days a week, very fatiguing/students do burn out.
Theyíre just preparing them for when they get on the line.
SHVC is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2022, 20:05
  #2819 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Australia
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyonthewall2020
I can confirm this as a current student, it is a bit of a sausage factory and they vaguely tell you that this is not a cadetship and is entirely run by FTA with Qantas reps coming in every couple of months. The academy does an intake of about 10-20 students every 7 weeks, already upto 18 groups so far with ~100+ graduates in about 2 years. They have plans to ramp up to 250 students a year.

The course is approx. 56 weeks with the only break being a couple of days over Christmas, no other public holidays throughout the year are observed. GS being 8-5 Mon-Fri and flying phases are 6 days a week, very fatiguing/students do burn out.

At the end of it you get CPL, MEIR, ATPL theory and MCC (approx. 150-200 hours total time). You get a spot in the Qantas group future pilot program and then they send you on your way with a big graduation ceremony (noting you still graduate if you have failed ATPL subjects and still need to pass them, it's on you to do this in your own time afterwards).

So far graduates seem to either look for GA jobs up north or get their instructors rating and come back and instruct at the academy, many are on the first job hunt. I've heard of about 2 or 3 graduates so far getting into Qlink. Will be interesting how we fair post covid, whether we've been suckered in with the branding or we'll be given a leg up for Qlink jobs.

How much are you kids paying for this? #HECS
FO NappyBum is offline  
Old 6th Jun 2022, 00:26
  #2820 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Bne
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FO NappyBum
How much are you kids paying for this? #HECS
About $130k (+ 20% hecs fee) + accommodation ($20k) so around $175k total 🥲
Flyonthewall2020 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.