Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 31st May 2020, 10:05
  #2361 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by mohikan View Post
I wont be agreeing to any pay cuts to save Normanton and other S/Os jobs. Given the way he carried on and abused senior pilots during the LHEA vote. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he is facing unemployment his pie hole is shut

Last on first off. Seniority and the RIN process will be enforced. End of story.

A RIN is never financially viable for the airline. It had a chance to change or get rid of that process during the last LHEA vote, which was taken during the COVID emergency if you look at the timing and it declined to do so.

If Qantas goes to FWA now seeking variation to the RIN and redundancy processes it wont have a leg to stand on. AIPA will fight this one into the ground

Last on, first off. See you later Normanton. Enjoy working at Maccas.
Never burn your bridges mate. One day that guy from maccas could be your sim instructor. I’ve seen it happen before.
skysook is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 11:31
  #2362 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 177
Originally Posted by normanton View Post
I still don't agree with you. You are talking LH only - this is not a LH only issue. At no point during EBA negotiations / voting was International planned to be at 1% and domestic at 5%. Realistically the pre-COVID 19 network are both operating at 0% without the government funding.

Your argument is valid, but Qantas have an army of lawyers who would rip it apart in FW. Don't forget who we work for here. An opportunity like this is once in a lifetime, and Allan will take full advantage of it.

Ask the contractors building the new sim training building how a signed contract worked out for them. Again, never one to waste an opportunity.
Heres the point you don't get Normanton.

During the LHEA debate you abused and threatened anyone senior to you on this forum and elsewhere. But in fact if you had bothered to speak to the F/Os and Captains you fly with you would have realised the EA vote was always going to get up. Therefore, you didn't need to make the threats and deliver the abuse you did.

The bulk of the QF pilot voting 'public' always does the common sense and pragmatic thing. Has the last 30 years I have been with the company. Yes there are many folks who are vocal on Qrewroom and elsewhere, but you have to look beyond that.

Skysook talks about burning bridges. Thats the situation you have placed yourself in. The guys I fly with (like #londonbound) think that because they have been S/Os for six months or so they have nothing to learn and in fact are smarter and more experienced then the F/O and Captain.

I know for a fact no-one goes sick on me on the 787 because I never say a word to anyone about performance or knowledge. Even when the S/Os turn up not prepared, hungover and disinterested or start lecturing me on how to fly the aircraft. I let it all go because I know there is no point. I get to LHR, shrug my shoulders and move on.

But now the situation is that Normanton and others want the contract they so vigorously championed three months ago changed because it potentially doesn't suit them. But I am reasonably sure that given your previous behaviour not many of the pilots senior to you, even the silent sensible majority, have any sympathy for you.

Last time this situation happened I took half lines, gave up leave and look LWOP to help the group. I did this because the guys I worked with were team players and I knew that if the situation was reversed they would do same for me. But with you, Normanton, people know that if the situation was reversed you would not support us, and in fact would do everything possible to feather you own nest at the expense of your fellow pilots.

At least you have the RAAF to go back to. Most guys don't. Count yourself lucky


Last edited by mohikan; 31st May 2020 at 12:23.
mohikan is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 12:35
  #2363 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 37
Posts: 484
Decided to remove this post.

Last edited by normanton; 2nd Jun 2020 at 11:31.
normanton is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 13:48
  #2364 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 422
For anyone actually interested in QF recruiting, could I please apologise on behalf of all those of us who are finding this an increasingly embarrassing spectacle.
itsnotthatbloodyhard is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 15:15
  #2365 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: I prefer to remain north of a direct line BNE-ADL
Age: 45
Posts: 1,148
I’d suggest the crew in QF Longhaul are looking at an extended brutal standown beating. Sometimes emotion gets out of control and that’s what we are seeing, don’t blame the participants. Looks like the 737 will be the most senior fleet for at least the next year! (Or 3)
Angle of Attack is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 17:19
  #2366 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Enzud
Posts: 11
Just passing by this thread and Christ, that Normanton is a touchy fellow. So much to prove...good luck chaps!
captsf is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 23:29
  #2367 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 310
I am confident the published RIN procedures will be followed. No FWA challenge. Why? Many reasons..but the main one is the cost blow out fear won’t eventuate with published procedures. At least not enough to warrant a challenge which they could easily lose. I challenge proponents of the FWA challenge to justify their position beyond ‘it’ll cost too much’ and explain why. Exactly where will the cascading training courses occur in this case. Put some thought into it because if you put forward a basic answer, I’ll conclude, probably accurately, that you’re not worthy of your scaremongering position. A good start is to answer this:

can a displacement occur on a fleet that itself is subject to a RIN?

and a chat to JB of AIPA first is a good idea.

Last edited by crosscutter; 31st May 2020 at 23:52.
crosscutter is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 06:14
  #2368 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: HKG
Posts: 279
Has QF and it’s management ever been scared of hiring the most expensive lawyers In the country because of a perceived chance of losing?



No, I didn’t think so.
Green.Dot is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 07:32
  #2369 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wherever I can log on.
Posts: 1,752
Originally Posted by Green.Dot View Post
Has QF and it’s management ever been scared of hiring the most expensive lawyers In the country because of a perceived chance of losing?
During the legal process with Fair Work Australia following Joyce's shutdown of the airline, Qantas went in with all guns blazing. They hired 5 QC's, one to do the arguing and 4 doing supporting roles which would normally be done by article clerks. It was all designed to intimidate the sole QC that was representing AIPA.

Altogether, QF spent $62M on legal expenses throughout that process and gained less than $5M in savings from the minor changes in the determination. No, they are not scared of hiring the best legal minds no matter the cost Vs outcome.

Going Boeing is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 03:23
  #2370 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: N/A
Posts: 16
A bit of a thread drift...

Hi guys, long time lurker here. I know this is a bit of a thread drift, but would anybody have any information on when QLink (Sunstate/Eastern) would start recruiting FOs again? I understand that finding an answer to this question would be a bit of a long shot given the current situation, but just wanted to see if anyone would have any information at all. Many thanks!
Time Map Ground is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 03:35
  #2371 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Time Map Ground View Post
Hi guys, long time lurker here. I know this is a bit of a thread drift, but would anybody have any information on when QLink (Sunstate/Eastern) would start recruiting FOs again? I understand that finding an answer to this question would be a bit of a long shot given the current situation, but just wanted to see if anyone would have any information at all. Many thanks!

Probably when all the existing ones are flying again and Pilots have moved around the group to cover shortages and surpluses and they need more. Which won’t be in the next 1-2 years.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 10:39
  #2372 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 44
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by Blueskymine View Post
Probably when all the existing ones are flying again and Pilots have moved around the group to cover shortages and surpluses and they need more. Which won’t be in the next 1-2 years.
what do you mean when you say “when pilots have moved around the group to cover shortages”

Are you saying if a 747 FO gets made redundant, they can move to qlink, JQ ect?

im not aware of this arrangement
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 10:41
  #2373 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76 View Post
what do you mean when you say “when pilots have moved around the group to cover shortages”

Are you saying if a 747 FO gets made redundant, they can move to qlink, JQ ect?

im not aware of this arrangement
The company will offer LWOP as required to balance the surpluses across the group.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 12:30
  #2374 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 673
There is no arrangement for anyone in the group to go to QLink. If there was in the future, it would be via a similar EOI process to the one used to apply to mainline.

There have already been dozens of former QLink pilots at mainline who have enquired about the prospects of returning and all told the same grim news.
Going Nowhere is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 14:12
  #2375 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In a house
Posts: 387
Originally Posted by Going Nowhere View Post
There is no arrangement for anyone in the group to go to QLink. If there was in the future, it would be via a similar EOI process to the one used to apply to mainline.

There have already been dozens of former QLink pilots at mainline who have enquired about the prospects of returning and all told the same grim news.
Haven’t heard of guys going to the links. But there
will be opportunities at network, cobham, Pacific, Japan, etc as the various domestic networks fire up again.
Blueskymine is offline  
Old 5th Jun 2020, 23:27
  #2376 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 348
Originally Posted by Blueskymine View Post
Haven’t heard of guys going to the links. But there
will be opportunities at network, cobham, Pacific, Japan, etc as the various domestic networks fire up again.
I doubt that any domestic markets are going to get to a point within 12-18 months where they need to recruit more pilots, even through internal EOI.

ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.