Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions

Old 8th Oct 2022, 06:19
  #681 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done this within in the last 20 years?? I've been flying for 20+ and I would still be looking for a single job on a community if I took that kind of stance. Every single operator wanted me to have both the experience and the endorsement. That's everyone from single engine charter operators through to regional and jet airlines.
Started flying about 30 years ago and have worked for the last 25+ with regular work at a few different employers. Getting pilot jobs is as much networking as it is gathering experience, aim for a certain job and you will get it. Although when your preferred employers go broke it doesn't help. And I quickly learned the the allure of a shiny jet to a young one can be overwhelming, I don't blame the young pilots for wanting to get into one asap, but the airlines are taking advantage of your naivety. I've seen young guys in the last 20 years get into QF mainline under 25 years old after pestering mainline HR for their whole existence. Plan your path using knowledge gained by networking and asking questions and you can skip the shit operators all together. If you sit back and wait for the work, or want the easy path that doesn't require a bit of social interaction then sure, got the easy route and pay for it all yourself. But that attitude only lessens how the company you work for treats you, as they see you as some form of mug rather than a valued employee.

I've helped a few get jobs at airlines, through references and passing comment to HR that this person is reliable and won't waste your time etc etc. If you want to jump the ques, get to know who you have to talk to that will get your resume looked at, and will say a few good things to get you a look in. And its been said a million times, but aviation is a Tiny industry, getting on the wrong side of one person will cost you advancement, I know several pilots that are black banned at various operators due to their conduct. And HR/operational staff do call each other and ask questions even if you don't put them down as referee. Why did X pilot leave you and not put you down as a reference? type questions.

PS if you are banned they wont say it, you just won't get time of day.
43Inches is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2022, 22:58
  #682 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Unfortunately its supply and demand, J* and VA got away with pay for your own endorsements because of pilots who wanted to fly jets no matter what. Seriously you had other choices.
Is that a fact. Tell me all about these 'other choices' that provide me with +200k per year and the long term stability to build a career that will see me out?

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
These same pilots who only think of themselves
Yeh, these self centered assholes, can you believe they don't just rot in GA on foodstamps so that you can buy a second boat? The nerve!


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
because of no job security provision like seniority you may just be face with either accepting the much lower T & C or be training your replacements while you look for other work. A mate in IT went through this a few years ago at a bank.
Nonsense, and demonstrates another tried and true pilot quality, financial illiteracy. Removing the ability of a labor group to actually participate in the market can never have an upward effect on wages. You cannot take an offer from a competing firm that offers a better package if you're forced to start in the mailroom each time.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
At least with current provisions and seniority a pilot workforce can at least maintain some sort of stability as pilots progress and those at the top who have given time to negotiate those conditions can continue to enjoy them while the newcomers agree to work on less, for whatever reason they see fit. I mean I see the problem straight away when you say those in the top seniority are lazy, no they are not they are reaping the rewards they fought for.
Like I said, a system pushed by the strugglers to keep their jobs.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Not sure how you would get onto top pay from the start without seniority, that makes no sense.
To you perhaps. Without seniority, if another airline is offering a better package, I can apply and transition into the same role in the new entity, on that better pay immediately. With seniority, I go from my current role and rank, to the lowest position and pay at the new entity, which is almost certainly going to be lower, not higher than what I make now. In nearly every airline in the country, people stay put once they're in. The movement between the companies is extremely low, because of precisely this reason. As a result, the management know that you're never going to leave, so they can feed you a shit sandwich and you're gonna take it, because ultimate its more than you'd make if you started again somewhere else, for years. Maybe ever.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
And you do see the issue that the next guy is going to offer to do your job for less, there will be no EBA they will just offer contracts, like most other professional jobs. Airlines can already hire into command positions if they are short on EBA requirements outside of seniority if there are no internals to do it. Good luck negotiating contracts when you have no idea what the other pilots are offering. Hmm you turn up to job interview, see what is on offer, oh that's crud, well that's because several pilots with more jet experience than you have applied, they are willing to work for half your contract cause its more than they get paid at X airline, but want to live in Australia. Then you will see airline wages collapse in Australia
Why does the removal of seniority also remove EBAs?

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
I mean you could probably apply to Rex or Link and get a DEC on the SAAB right now, promoted to trainer/checker in short time and so on as the regional are so short. But no, the truth is most want seniority gone so that they can undercut the upper echelons to fast track to the jet LH seat. Its still the same mentality of the entry level. Any outfit that respecst skill and experience will hire you into the position they need you for. Airlines dont' need super pilots, they just need ok seat warmers so vast experience will not grant you some sort of huge wage increase, only negotiation of the entire group.
I don't give a rat shit about the LH seat of a jet. I'd fly a 172 if the pay and career options were good enough. I want seniority gone so I can actually market my labor, no different to how any professional/executive progresses their career. Instead, I'm locked into one company for my career and have to effectively take what I'm given, with very little control.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
All you have to do is have been involved in airline level training to know its not the best and brightest out there, just an average cut of able bodied humans.
Oh you don't need to convince me that I'm not dealing with the best and brightest.
das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 00:00
  #683 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeh, these self centered assholes, can you believe they don't just rot in GA on foodstamps so that you can buy a second boat? The nerve!
And this is the self centered attitude I'm talking about, in a country where you could go dig a hole for $100k a year, you persist at a sub conditions job just because YOU want to. That degrades the conditions for all, if youa re not making it in aviation do something else for a few years, make some money, don't take substandard conditions just because you will do anything to fly a plane.

I don't give a rat shit about the LH seat of a jet. I'd fly a 172 if the pay and career options were good enough. I want seniority gone so I can actually market my labor, no different to how any professional/executive progresses their career. Instead, I'm locked into one company for my career and have to effectively take what I'm given, with very little control.
There is no seniority in GA that I'm aware of, so market your skills all you want, no one is going to pay you more than the next guy for the jobs out there. I spent a lot of time in GA and ended up being paid an ok salary for GA work, but it involved working a lot harder than an airline FO so I moved on, a few places did ask how much it would take to make me stay, and I told them honestly what I was worth and they just said no, or offered a couple of grand more which was nowhere near enough, so I moved on.

Why does the removal of seniority also remove EBAs?
It doesn't but what you are saying is that you want to market your skills, which in the airline world means they will move to contract based pay rather than EBA. That's just how the business world works, if the labor force wants to move to individual contracts they will be more than happy to facilitate that as they know the average person is a hopeless negotiator on their own. That's why the libs wanted to scrap EBAs and move to individual contracts, another way of reducing wages and inflation.

To you perhaps. Without seniority, if another airline is offering a better package, I can apply and transition into the same role in the new entity, on that better pay immediately. With seniority, I go from my current role and rank, to the lowest position and pay at the new entity, which is almost certainly going to be lower, not higher than what I make now. In nearly every airline in the country, people stay put once they're in. The movement between the companies is extremely low, because of precisely this reason. As a result, the management know that you're never going to leave, so they can feed you a shit sandwich and you're gonna take it, because ultimate its more than you'd make if you started again somewhere else, for years. Maybe ever.
Depends on the role, you are only talking about line positions, just about any other role in airlines you can apply for and get in outside of seniority. In any case if you start hiring over the top of qualified FO/Captains you remove job security and more than likely you will get your paid position but be resented by those under you that you displaced by rank and possibly even baseings. If you like to be paid more but hated by those you fly with go for it, I've seen it happen it's not pretty. It's even happening now in some companies where FO's are almost Cpt ready but are hired over the top of because they are not ready right now, it's not pretty.

Again it shows a self centered attitude that you don't care about these consequences, or the people you will work with, that in essence is why Australian Aviation conditions have declined so much.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 00:36
  #684 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seniority is a con, people put up with being treated like crap in the hope that in the future you will be ‘senior’ and reap the benefits. Take the Covid debacle at Air NZ, the airline was hamstrung by seniority, they had to pay unproductive assets to sit on the sidelines whilst making those they needed the most redundant. The guys on the right side of the deal would say. ‘My seniority should protect me!’. In a true market an Airline should be able to advertise for Captains, Checkies etc externally much like big corporations can advertise for the skills required, Seniority just means that once you reach a certain level you are ‘stuck’ and the airlines know it.
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 01:03
  #685 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
And this is the self centered attitude I'm talking about, in a country where you could go dig a hole for $100k a year, you persist at a sub conditions job just because YOU want to. That degrades the conditions for all, if youa re not making it in aviation do something else for a few years, make some money, don't take substandard conditions just because you will do anything to fly a plane.
Just when I thought the arrogance couldn't possibly increase, you demand that young pilots literally give up their careers to protect YOUR pay conditions. And then you have the unbelievable gall to write

"Again it shows a self centered attitude"

What on earth is more self centered than that?!

Pathetic.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
There is no seniority in GA that I'm aware of, so market your skills all you want, no one is going to pay you more than the next guy for the jobs out there. I spent a lot of time in GA and ended up being paid an ok salary for GA work, but it involved working a lot harder than an airline FO so I moved on, a few places did ask how much it would take to make me stay, and I told them honestly what I was worth and they just said no, or offered a couple of grand more which was nowhere near enough, so I moved on.
Pig shit. I spent 10 years in GA, and did exactly that. I marketed my labor. If I found another operator paying more, I moved to it. That's how I improved my wage, and the fact people would leave for greener pastures meant the operators HAD to increase wages in order to retain people. As I've been banging on about, the ability of a labor group to participate in the market provides upward pressure on wages. You think locking people in and preventing them from leaving somehow motivates the employer to hand them more. Take a bow.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
It doesn't but what you are saying is that you want to market your skills, which in the airline world means they will move to contract based pay rather than EBA. That's just how the business world works.
If there is one thing you've demonstrated absolutely no understanding of, its the business world. We don't need a contract model to scrap seniority. If I could move from a JQ FO to a Qantas FO, I don't need to be on a contract for that to be beneficial to me. I would be bound by the EBA, same as everyone else.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Depends on the role, you are only talking about line positions, just about any other role in airlines you can apply for and get in outside of seniority. In any case if you start hiring over the top of qualified FO/Captains you remove job security and more than likely you will get your paid position but be resented by those under you that you displaced by rank and possibly even baseings. If you like to be paid more but hated by those you fly with go for it, I've seen it happen it's not pretty. It's even happening now in some companies where FO's are almost Cpt ready but are hired over the top of because they are not ready right now, it's not pretty.
Strugglers trying to justify their positions. I know mate, I know.


das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 01:46
  #686 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are arguing seniority doesn't work on a thread about jetstar, possibly the lowest paid to living costs operator in the world, who still get thousands of applicants and probably hire the most pilots in Australia. What does that say? If pilots had a choice they would still be stabbing each other in the back to climb the next rung.

I don't know what deluded economy you live in but what pilot is going to leave QF for VA or J* and move backwards to allow you to have a go at QF. And no one at QF is going to vote down seniority in our lifetime so I have no idea what your argument is. All that will happen is VA/Rex/J* pilots will jump around the lower end jobs and the top guys that have been there for ages will still be there. If the EBA is based on time in service you will be paid less as its time in position that pays more not seniority number, airlines would love this as you'd have a constant conga of guys jumping between airlines onto 1 year pay levels when they could have stuck around on 10 year pay. That alone means you have no idea how airline pay scales work. Tiger went without seniority for a while and you just end up with wild accusations of favoritism and boys clubs. You really have not worked in the real world to see what happens without a progression based system. All that happens is the top boys surround themselves with buddies and you have to lick arse to get anywhere. You still end up with hopeless candidates as they are based on friendships rather than time in service.

You can jump around in GA to other operators, but they all pay shite relative to the work you do. I assume that's why you want to get into an airline otherwise who cares. If the free market worked so well in GA why is it still paying so poorly?

The only way you improve conditions is through unity, GA lacks this completely, so languishes in award land. Airline pilots have unions that set up what they want, or should, and only being united as a group will you get advancement.

PS I worked at an airline not long ago where they tried to make life hard for the 10+ year pilots so they would leave, as they wanted to keep the average pay scale of the pilot group below 5 years so they could save on crew costs. This is how airline management thinks, so all that experience and knowledge means nothing to them if it costs more, the more you do the job the more you figure that out. So how would you be marketing your skills when no airline wants skills, just pilots?

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Oct 2022 at 01:57.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 03:16
  #687 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Going nowhere...
Posts: 331
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some seem to forget…

…. that ‘seniority’ is still underpinned by pilots who pass their simulators, retain a valid medical & thus have a licence to fly. True arrogance is shown by an assumption that you’re so much better than your peers that they’re holding you back from your true potential.
Jetsbest is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 03:27
  #688 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: vegas, not 'las', or 'bris', but the other one
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Network Aviation has no seniority, look what it’s done for their terms and conditions……. Oh wait




mince is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 03:57
  #689 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
You are arguing seniority doesn't work on a thread about jetstar, possibly the lowest paid to living costs operator in the world, who still get thousands of applicants and probably hire the most pilots in Australia. What does that say?
About my point? Nothing.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
I don't know what deluded economy you live in but what pilot is going to leave QF for VA or J* and move backwards to allow you to have a go at QF.
Strawman.

If pilots had the freedom to move between entities (you know, like pretty much any other profession or executive), then its one more tool available in the bag to improve their wage by moving to the most competitive offer. Just as I said effectively did in GA.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
And no one at QF is going to vote down seniority in our lifetime so I have no idea what your argument is.
The argument has been ably explained to you. If you can't comprehend it, ask a friend to draw you a diagram.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
All that will happen is VA/Rex/J* pilots will jump around the lower end jobs and the top guys that have been there for ages will still be there.
So? If a J* FO moves to VA as an FO because the pay is better, the prevalence of 'top guys' is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
If the EBA is based on time in service you will be paid less as its time in position that pays more not seniority number, airlines would love this as you'd have a constant conga of guys jumping between airlines onto 1 year pay levels when they could have stuck around on 10 year pay.
Non sequitur. Nobody would move unless the package offered was more competitive than what they're on now. What you're arguing is actually in effect, seniority. Being locked into your current role because to move would mean losing money.

Congratulations, you're arguing my point for me now.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Tiger went without seniority for a while and you just end up with wild accusations of favoritism and boys clubs. You really have not worked in the real world to see what happens without a progression based system. All that happens is the top boys surround themselves with buddies and you have to lick arse to get anywhere. You still end up with hopeless candidates as they are based on friendships rather than time in service.
Strugglers unite!


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
The only way you improve conditions is through unity, GA lacks this completely, so languishes in award land. Airline pilots have unions that set up what they want, or should, and only being united as a group will you get advancement.
Unity is ONE tool in the bag available to drive wages. Being able to market your labor is another.

So whats next mate, going to picket flying schools and abuse every 19 year old who walks in for risking your 300k pay packet? I do hope in the cruise you turn to your young FO and explain to them how disgusting you believe their self entitlement is, that they're sitting here living their dream instead giving the whole thing up to dig a hole somewhere so that you can buy a second boat. You poor bugger, you probably haven't even cracked 2 million in super yet either.

Maybe setup a gofundme and hand the link to all the new FO's? Its only fair.
das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 04:59
  #690 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So? If a J* FO moves to VA as an FO because the pay is better, the prevalence of 'top guys' is irrelevant.
More likely the outcome is that a J* FO would move to take a VA command, and VV. No one is going to move for a slightly better package and go through a few months of no pay, re-training in company procedures and line training. Which the savy companies will put you on lower wages for your initial jump anyway, but you will be on more than your FO salary. That's where your argument falls down. This will result in lower wages for captains overall.

Then you have issues such as how to organise baseings, leave allocation and so on. Good luck sorting those issues out without seniority.

Nothing you have put forward at all makes any argument against seniority. It just confirms you have never worked in a large company where you have been trapped in the lower echelons due to cronyism. Which I have seen directly in GA and in Airlines. Seniority ensures the good and the bad get a go all equally, if they don't measure up they don't progress. Get rid of the ticket system and the airline dictates who progresses and who doesn't, we know where that ends regard to conditions.

So whats next mate, going to picket flying schools and abuse every 19 year old who walks in for risking your 300k pay packet? I do hope in the cruise you turn to your young FO and explain to them how disgusting you believe their self entitlement is, that they're sitting here living their dream instead giving the whole thing up to dig a hole somewhere so that you can buy a second boat. You poor bugger, you probably haven't even cracked 2 million in super yet either.
If I'm a Captain on $300k the FO is probably on $200k, so whats the issue? He's probably unmarried, no kids, has 2 boats a racehorse and a pub.

As for picketing schools, no that's stupid, its still choice if you want pilot qualifications, but the truth needs to be told to those training what the early part of the industry is like. Although in the Maritime world there are limited spaces to train and you need some form of recommendation to start off, Australian based shipping Captains are paid more than airline Captains as a result. Mate was recently paid $100k to ferry a tug to Singapore, couple of weeks work, back to early retirement.

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Oct 2022 at 05:16.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 05:54
  #691 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the awful truth in the aviation world, all the companies have a tap setting for workforce. They do not want most of their pilots to stick around, this is a nightmare for them in a industrial relations setting. Most operations work on a core 30% strategy where they look after a few key pilots that actually manage things, the rest they are happy to walk when they've had enough. The tap is adjusted to what the training department can handle, not to stop pilots leaving.

When you make pilots too comfortable they start to stick together as a group (unity) become friends and agree on mutually beneficial goals. That then leads to the pilot group holding the company to task, on conditions and wages. Only the very top airlines would care about retention in the long run, the rest of the industry sets itself up as feeders for the next rung knowing that pilots would rather jump than fight to improve conditions at their current station.

Setting up a situation where pilots can move freely between airlines would be a godsend for the airlines, GA already enjoys this, not a great deal for pilots...

The current shortage of experienced pilots has thrown a spanner in what has been around for a long time. However I see no shortage until the airlines are paying for cadets to join from scratch, as what happens in Asia. Terms will then crash as they will have you by the balls with a huge training debt and good luck to moving without putting a financial noose around your neck. Jobs for direct entries will be only for the top end experienced captains, as with what happens now, once the cadets start getting their commands en masse then even those jobs will dry up. And there's nothing you can do to stop that, it would be quite within the companies rights to train their own at their cost and pay less or bond them for a lot.

The other thing to consider is that in the next 10 years you are probably looking at 20 thousand cadets in China coming off bond, most probably with significant large jet time including command. Good chance some of those guys will want to move to Australia for a different lifestyle given the opportunity.

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Oct 2022 at 06:15.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 06:19
  #692 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Then you have issues such as how to organise baseings, leave allocation and so on. Good luck sorting those issues out without seniority.
Network manages. Jetconnect manages.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Nothing you have put forward at all makes any argument against seniority. It just confirms you have never worked in a large company where you have been trapped in the lower echelons due to cronyism. Which I have seen directly in GA and in Airlines. Seniority ensures the good and the bad get a go all equally, if they don't measure up they don't progress. Get rid of the ticket system and the airline dictates who progresses and who doesn't, we know where that ends regard to conditions.
Correct. I'm not a struggler.

I love that you think seniority is somehow protection against cronyism or nepotism. Just shows you have absolutely zero understanding of JQ and its makeup.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
If I'm a Captain on $300k the FO is probably on $200k, so whats the issue? He's probably unmarried, no kids, has 2 boats a racehorse and a pub.
According to you, the FO has no right to be there. Make up your mind.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
As for picketing schools, no that's stupid, its still choice if you want pilot qualifications, but the truth needs to be told to those training what the early part of the industry is like. Although in the Maritime world there are limited spaces to train and you need some form of recommendation to start off, Australian based shipping Captains are paid more than airline Captains as a result. Mate was recently paid $100k to ferry a tug to Singapore, couple of weeks work, back to early retirement.
No, you clearly said that people applying to JQ and other airlines should literally give up their careers to go dig holes.

"And this is the self centered attitude I'm talking about, in a country where you could go dig a hole for $100k a year, you persist at a sub conditions job just because YOU want to. That degrades the conditions for all"

So, let me understand you; You're happy for people to spend 100 grand learning to fly, but they must quit immediately after so as to not endanger your super?

Explain it to me. When precisely is a young person allowed to apply for Jetstar so that they don't receive your condemnation of their 'self centered' attitudes?

This will be good.




das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 06:30
  #693 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Network manages. Jetconnect manages.
They pay so low they hardly rate above GA, what is the point again? In fact looking at the numbers JC and Network only pay slightly more than a Rex SAAB pilot. So it looks like a SAAB pilot on a seniority system is way better off than a jet pilot without when you compare size of aircraft and especially with NZD vs AUD conversions.

I love that you think seniority is somehow protection against cronyism or nepotism. Just shows you have absolutely zero understanding of JQ and its makeup.
If you are being jumped by others for a position outside of seniority then you are not operating under a seniority program, so this is moot.

No, you clearly said that people applying to JQ and other airlines should literally give up their careers to go dig holes.

"And this is the self centered attitude I'm talking about, in a country where you could go dig a hole for $100k a year, you persist at a sub conditions job just because YOU want to. That degrades the conditions for all"

So, let me understand you; You're happy for people to spend 100 grand learning to fly, but they must quit immediately after so as to not endanger your super?

Explain it to me. When precisely is a young person allowed to apply for Jetstar so that they don't receive your condemnation of their 'self centered' attitudes?

This will be good.
Nope didn't say anything of the kind, I said if you were struggling living on food stamps or whatever you said in GA you should find other work that pays the bills.

However that being said no one has to work in Aviation in Australia, so remember that whenever you whinge. No one is forced to be a pilot, you choose this path, this is essentially the self centered idea. If you want to choose a job that is highly competitive with established structures that don't work for you, don't complain when you are stuck in a rut you created for yourself. No one else put you where you are, only by gathering support from your peers and working together can you change things.

According to you, the FO has no right to be there. Make up your mind.
Not sure where you get that idea from, FO has a right to be there like anyone else. However if they chose sub standard conditions below their predecessors then they are hurting themselves and the industry.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 06:55
  #694 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
They pay so low they hardly rate above GA, what is the point again? In fact looking at the numbers JC and Network only pay slightly more than a Rex SAAB pilot. So it looks like a SAAB pilot on a seniority system is way better off than a jet pilot without when you compare size of aircraft and especially with NZD vs AUD conversions.
Strawman. You wrote that you can't organize basing and annual leave without seniority. Fact check, some airlines do.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
If you are being jumped by others for a position outside of seniority then you are not operating under a seniority program, so this is moot.
You really are all over the place in this thread.

"you are only talking about line positions, just about any other role in airlines you can apply for and get in outside of seniority."

So, now you're arguing that the seniority system DOESN'T exist in Australia? Make up your mind.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Nope didn't say anything of the kind, .
Ah the backpedaling accelerates. Love it.

I literally quoted what you said. I'll throw you another quote of what you said

"Still a steady stream of takers, that's the sad part. If the individual can't even control their urges to fly a jet at any cost what hope have you of a concerted effort to negotiate better. "

That is you, blaming new hires for being unable to negotiate higher pay. You are telling people to rot in GA, or quit the industry all together in order to protect YOUR pay. And you've made the point repeatedly. YOUR WORDS.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
I said if you were struggling living on food stamps or whatever you said in GA you should find other work that pays the bills
That work is called joining an Airline, something you have repeatedly said should not be available to GA pilots, because it is 'self centered'.

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
However that being said no one has to work in Aviation in Australia, so remember that whenever you whinge. No one is forced to be a pilot, you choose this path, this is essentially the self centered idea. If you want to choose a job that is highly competitive with established structures that don't work for you, don't complain when you are stuck in a rut you created for yourself. No one else put you where you are, only by gathering support from your peers and working together can you change things.
Correct. And yet, here you are complaining that nobody should be allowed to follow you into an Airline, because it harms your precious super.


Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Not sure where you get that idea from, FO has a right to be there like anyone else. However if they chose sub standard conditions below their predecessors then they are hurting themselves and the industry.
Or, they are taking the best job available to them. If its not competitive, they can go do something else. But guess what kiddo, nobody is forcing you to remain in aviation either. If you don't like the fact the supply of pilots is increasing, placing downward pressure on wages, then you're just as free to leave the industry and find something else to do as anyone. You don't get to dictate that others should not be allowed to follow you, just to protect your own self interest. Whilst labelling those very people you wish to sacrifice as being 'self entitled' in the process. The hubris, holy hell.

das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 07:05
  #695 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler
 
Strawman. You wrote that you can't organize basing and annual leave without seniority. Fact check, some airlines do.
The argument is Seniority vs Not in a total package you can't cherry pick what parts you like and don't. Fact is companies without seniority have worse conditions full stop, unless its some sort of specialty operation that does require skill.

You really are all over the place in this thread.

"you are only talking about line positions, just about any other role in airlines you can apply for and get in outside of seniority."

So, now you're arguing that the seniority system DOESN'T exist in Australia? Make up your mind.
I think you are drinking too much today, you were saying you were somehow being hindered by cronyism and nepotism in J*. Seniority generally only covers basing and promotions to captain among general line pilots. Training and checking at almost all airlines is a selected position with merit/skill the main concern. If you are saying that there is cronyism at J* preventing your promotion to Captain or a particular basing then you don't work under a normal seniority system.

Ah the backpedaling accelerates. Love it.

I literally quoted what you said. I'll throw you another quote of what you said

"Still a steady stream of takers, that's the sad part. If the individual can't even control their urges to fly a jet at any cost what hope have you of a concerted effort to negotiate better. "

That is you, blaming new hires for being unable to negotiate higher pay. You are telling people to rot in GA, or quit the industry all together in order to protect YOUR pay. And you've made the point repeatedly. YOUR WORDS.
Yep and that is the crux, never said they are not entitled to the job, just by taking a job at lower conditions you are affecting the negotiations of those established within a company. Think of the overseas examples of A,B,C whatever scale at Cathay etc... poor guys at the bottom will never be on even close to those that went before, because they accepted those conditions. If you don't accept it, the company is forced to up the conditions.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 07:22
  #696 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 223
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
The argument is Seniority vs Not in a total package you can't cherry pick what parts you like and don't. Fact is companies without seniority have worse conditions full stop, unless its some sort of specialty operation that does require skill.
This is like pulling teeth. That is not the argument at all. Lets revisit!

You "Then you have issues such as how to organise baseings, leave allocation and so on. Good luck sorting those issues out without seniority"

You are claiming the 'baseings' and leave can't be sorted without seniority. Its there, in black and white.

I then pointed out to you, that other airlines have done exactly that. They have worked out those things, without seniority. So you spear off on a rant about general conditions overall, which was NOT the point you started off with. Do you understand what a strawman argument is?

Originally Posted by 43Inches View Post
Yep and that is the crux, never said they are not entitled to the job, just by taking a job at lower conditions you are affecting the negotiations of those established within a company. Think of the overseas examples of A,B,C whatever scale at Cathay etc... poor guys at the bottom will never be on even close to those that went before, because they accepted those conditions. If you don't accept it, the company is forced to up the conditions.
Then that is on the people who accept the position. That was the most competitive position they could secure at the time. It is certainly not for you to label them 'self centered' and all the other pejorative nonsense you have thrown at them, just because they threaten your super. And it absolutely is not your right to demand they don't apply for a job at your airline, as you have explicitly stated in this thread.

"J* and VA got away with pay for your own endorsements because of pilots who wanted to fly jets no matter what. Seriously you had other choices. These same pilots who only think of themselves"

When I asked you what these 'other choices' were, you stated that these young pilots should give up their careers and go 'dig holes'.

I'm done with this debate, its a waste of time.

If you ever sit next to a young FO and then lecture them about how 'self centered' they were for joining your airline, which in your view risks your super, you're an absolute ******. Don't like the increase of supply of pilots and the resulting downward pressure on pilot wages? Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Go dig holes.

I'm done here.


das Uber Soldat is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 07:39
  #697 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,966
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You still have not proven anything that seniority is a bad thing.

The problem is still those willing to accept substandard conditions just to fly planes, even more so to fly a jet. If you can't see the forest for the trees you will never be able to group up and get anywhere. Why are pilots starving in GA? Because they chose to, and in one day they can change that and do another job. If you don't understand that is purely a self centered ideal you are lost. The same push to become a pilot at all costs then means they take that ideal all the way through their career, this ruins it for pilots who want to just fly GA or regional turboprops as the operators continually have a stream of cheap labor "doing it for the love" or doing it "for the hours". Again if you don't understand this fundamental issue in Australian aviation then you are arguing at clouds. If pilots didn't use companies as experience building rungs and treated them as real jobs then they all would pay proper salaries. Oh, I'll work as an instructor to build hours, I've nop people skills and bugger all teaching knowledge but hey, I'll do it for next to free to get those hours....

Go dig holes.
Why when I'm earning $300K+ and just about to buy another boat. I'd rather spell out what the real issue is to the newcomers rather than just retire in peace.

If you ever sit next to a young FO and then lecture them about how 'self centered' they were for joining your airline, which in your view risks your super, you're an absolute ******. Don't like the increase of supply of pilots and the resulting downward pressure on pilot wages? Nobody is holding a gun to your head.
And this just really showed your self centered cold heart right there, so you are saying you wish downward pressure on our conditions? Nobody is holding a gun to my head as I've almost finished my career and have amassed the finances I need, my advice is trying to help the next gen achieve the same, it's not that hard. Again if you really wanted to change conditions you would work together as a group, both new and retiring to come to mutual agreements. The biggest thing you could do is push nationally for a limit to pilot CPLs issued each year on an industry advised level. Soon the path into airlines will almost purely via cadetships and whats left of GA will want to be there and conditions will improve, that will be past my tenure sadly.

I'll end with this, any increase or decrease in conditions will affect me very little, I'll be retired in the next 5-10 years max. So whether you want more or less is a decision you have to make, I'll vote for anything that makes life better for the next generation. But the next generation has to face reality and not want everything now at the cost the company wants. You build up conditions over years, you can smash them down overnight.

Last edited by 43Inches; 9th Oct 2022 at 07:50.
43Inches is offline  
Old 9th Oct 2022, 12:08
  #698 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: FNQ ... It's Permanent!
Posts: 3,954
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh look! Is that the time already?
Capt Fathom is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2022, 02:57
  #699 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,886
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is still those willing to accept substandard conditions just to fly planes, even more so to fly a jet. If you can't see the forest for the trees you will never be able to group up and get anywhere. Why are pilots starving in GA? Because they chose to, and in one day they can change that and do another job. If you don't understand that is purely a self centered ideal you are lost. The same push to become a pilot at all costs then means they take that ideal all the way through their career, this ruins it for pilots who want to just fly GA or regional turboprops as the operators continually have a stream of cheap labor "doing it for the love" or doing it "for the hours". Again if you don't understand this fundamental issue in Australian aviation then you are arguing at clouds. If pilots didn't use companies as experience building rungs and treated them as real jobs then they all would pay proper salaries. Oh, I'll work as an instructor to build hours, I've nop people skills and bugger all teaching knowledge but hey, I'll do it for next to free to get those hours.
I'm not sure what your argument actually is. If you think that by people hanging around in dead end jobs will drive wages up, the opposite in fact is true. If an owner knew someone is not going anywhere why would they spend any more on salary than they have to? Additional to this where is the money in GA coming from anyway?? There is a limit on the amount people will pay before they stop actually flying. If you paid flying instructors airline FO money then the market for flying training would be very small. Same with scenic flying or SE charter. If there are only 6 pax paying your salary over a small time frame then the revenue pool is very small

In your scenario I don't quite understand how the industry even works. If people are supposed to hang around in dead end jobs to jack up the salaries how do you then get into an airline or RFDS or jet charter etc? You could miss your opportunity to progress by hanging around in GA. You also forget that the Airline market could be influenced by international recruiting by the swipe of a pen in Canberra. To prove the point there was a time around the 2013s when airline recruiting came to a halt. Did the folks stuck in GA get massive pay rises then even though people spent years in the same job??

Last edited by neville_nobody; 10th Oct 2022 at 03:57.
neville_nobody is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2022, 03:15
  #700 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is OUR responsibility as currently employed members of virgin/ Jetstar/ Network/ NJS etc to improve the conditions for those that come after us. It is not the responsibility of young pilots to languish in GA longer so my terms and conditions at the airlines improve. ( I'm not even sure how that works but okay.....)
cLeArIcE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.