Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Qantas 787 recruitment for cadetship

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas 787 recruitment for cadetship

Old 10th Mar 2016, 09:43
  #221 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: I prefer to remain north of a direct line BNE-ADL
Age: 44
Posts: 1,029
Yes they will bypass all other applicants, they need experienced F/O's as the second officers don't want to leave their gravy train.
Angle of Attack is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2016, 21:46
  #222 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sydney
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by Angle of Attack View Post
Yes they will bypass all other applicants, they need experienced F/O's as the second officers don't want to leave their gravy train.
Horse shite AOA.

Don't know where you're getting this nonsense from, maybe wishful thinking.

There is no mechanism within the awards to employ straight off the street into the 737 F/O seat. All employees will be for S/O positions. The F/O 737 positions will be advertised, just like any other vacancy, for all to bid for. As some others have mentioned, people change there bids right up to the hour they close, so no one knows with any certainty how many S/Os will bid for these positions.

It may very well transpire that the F/O awards will go very junior. It's happened in the past on the 737 and the 767 prior to 5:30 MDC. I fully expect this to happen again if the rumoured expansion is any where near correct. This may mean, as it has in the past, that F/O positions are filled from those that have only just joined the company within the last few months. 767 F/O slots were filled from guys who were still doing their initial S/O training on the classic (that took 4-5 months thanks to an FE panel endorsement).
IsDon is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2016, 23:52
  #223 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 891
IsDon,

You are mostly correct, however, with respect, if the LOP's in force when they close in a couple of months have insufficient 737 F/O preferences to meet the demand of the training year, then I seriously doubt there is anything in the "awards" (sic) to prevent them offering any applicant a 737 gig.

Even if there were, there's nothing to stop them offering a slot to an applicant 30 seconds after they walk in the door on the first day of their S/O course, which would amount to the same thing except that they couldn't be forced to accept it.

The Company policy of x hours on Company aircraft prior to promotion to F/O is the only impediment I can think of, but I'm pretty sure they could get around that easily.

Given the seniority of recent promotions to the 737, and the proposed number of movements, I would think this is a serious possibility. No-one will know, of course, until all current S/O's (and those approaching age 65) review their LOP's over the next couple of months.

As for "bypassing applicants" (I think that comment was made somewhat in jest), they will employ whatever applicants they choose. You get to do that as an employer (within the bounds of the Discrimination Act). Cadets have no legal privilege to a position over anyone else, but the Company will presumably employ them first unless there is a reason to do otherwise. I would think many cadets would be more than qualified to jump straight to the 737 given the experience they have had over the past several years.
Derfred is online now  
Old 11th Mar 2016, 01:03
  #224 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sydney
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by Derfred View Post
IsDon,

You are mostly correct, however, with respect, if the LOP's in force when they close in a couple of months have insufficient 737 F/O preferences to meet the demand of the training year, then I seriously doubt there is anything in the "awards" (sic) to prevent them offering any applicant a 737 gig.

Even if there were, there's nothing to stop them offering a slot to an applicant 30 seconds after they walk in the door on the first day of their S/O course, which would amount to the same thing except that they couldn't be forced to accept it.

The Company policy of x hours on Company aircraft prior to promotion to F/O is the only impediment I can think of, but I'm pretty sure they could get around that easily.

Given the seniority of recent promotions to the 737, and the proposed number of movements, I would think this is a serious possibility. No-one will know, of course, until all current S/O's (and those approaching age 65) review their LOP's over the next couple of months.

As for "bypassing applicants" (I think that comment was made somewhat in jest), they will employ whatever applicants they choose. You get to do that as an employer (within the bounds of the Discrimination Act). Cadets have no legal privilege to a position over anyone else, but the Company will presumably employ them first unless there is a reason to do otherwise. I would think many cadets would be more than qualified to jump straight to the 737 given the experience they have had over the past several years.
True to a point Fred. Another possibility is a freeze on the 737. If sufficient numbers to replace those wanting to leave can't be found within the existing ranks with the prerequisite number of hours in company aircraft then this is another option available. Not popular, but possible.

Another point you alluded to is also correct. How many permanent F/Os are turning 65 and wish/need to keep flying? They can't be employed as captains, and they have to go somewhere.
IsDon is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2016, 01:13
  #225 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chunny
Posts: 171
Plenty of people with a few thousand hours on qantas owned/leased jets floating around.

myshoutcaptain is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2016, 01:49
  #226 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Sydney
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by myshoutcaptain View Post
Plenty of people with a few thousand hours on qantas owned/leased jets floating around.

True. Something I hadn't thought of.

Cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.
IsDon is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2016, 04:27
  #227 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Australia
Posts: 495
Plenty of people with a few thousand hours on qantas owned/leased jets floating around.
And Turboprops!!!!!!
Kiwiconehead is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2016, 04:29
  #228 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: sincity
Posts: 947
Originally Posted by IsDon View Post
True to a point Fred. Another possibility is a freeze on the 737. If sufficient numbers to replace those wanting to leave can't be found within the existing ranks with the prerequisite number of hours in company aircraft then this is another option available. Not popular, but possible.

Another point you alluded to is also correct. How many permanent F/Os are turning 65 and wish/need to keep flying? They can't be employed as captains, and they have to go somewhere.
Yep no bypass provisions or anything like that to prevent being held on the 737. I have almost been caught myself but got off by the skin on my teeth
maggot is offline  
Old 11th Mar 2016, 14:08
  #229 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,176
The qantas group owns/ leases 207s?
Keg is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2016, 04:46
  #230 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Shire
Posts: 2,899
Only C209s from memory keg
The Green Goblin is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2016, 07:23
  #231 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: In The Boondocks
Age: 39
Posts: 58
If Qantas wanted to be strategic with their hiring all they need to do is take a bunch off their competitors turboprop fleet which at the moment have no training approvals what so ever! The fleet would come to a grinding halt........
sled_driver71 is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2016, 08:00
  #232 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Not Syderknee
Posts: 993
If Qantas wanted to be strategic with their hiring all they need to do is take a bunch off their competitors turboprop fleet
I always wondered why the big players never did that.
In the past Virgin have recruited from the Link but only in dribs and drabs, taking pilots from elsewhere at the same time, if they had wanted to be brutal in their fight against the competition they could have taken a dozen or so pilots directly from one base and fleet in QLink and done serious damage.
Just imagine if Qantas took 6+ Captains from one fleet and one base in any regional airline and you would see cancellations and panic for months.

Maybe they try to be nice in the hopes that it doesn't then happen to them?
rmcdonal is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2016, 08:06
  #233 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: oz
Posts: 257
It's actually preferable to have a healthy, rational competitor. So, no Qantas won't do anything to seriously damage Virgin. Think of the consequences if Virgin were damaged to the extent of either reducing size or folding all together. Not good for anyone.

Last edited by Iron Bar; 14th Mar 2016 at 20:40.
Iron Bar is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2016, 09:56
  #234 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North
Posts: 30
Just heard on fairly good authority that the first round of hiring will start in April, but not onto 787 onto 330. 35 S/O's being the rumoured number. And I don't usually put up rumours on this forum but I am almost certain it is correct.
So Angle of Attack,
Is the good authority still saying April?
Dunda is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2016, 05:10
  #235 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,176
Last info I had was still for the start of the FY.

Rob, maybe it's just about the best candidates available at the time.
Keg is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2016, 05:30
  #236 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Not Syderknee
Posts: 993
It's actually preferable to have a healthy, rational competitor. So, no Qantas won't do anything to seriously damage Virgin.
I would agree with you there if I hadn't just watched them claw each others eyes out for the past few years with capacity dumping.
Rob, maybe it's just about the best candidates available at the time.
True, but if you are going to take them anyway, then putting them slightly out of order to affect maximum inconvenience for your competitor would surely be an effective strategy?

BTW I am not suggesting this is a sensible idea.
rmcdonal is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2016, 06:49
  #237 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 67
Last info I had was still for the start of the FY.
Hey Keg,

Would that be for the ground courses or for the start of the recruitment process?

TIA
Koizi is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2016, 09:31
  #238 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,176
Ground courses.
Keg is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2016, 10:41
  #239 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: FNQ ... Still!
Posts: 3,304
Keg.
How do you know all this?
Capt Fathom is online now  
Old 15th Mar 2016, 11:56
  #240 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,176
Angel

Various conversations with various people. The Townsville refueller is best.

I'm all seriousness, if a former cadet on placement with Qlink was starting in 4 weeks we'd know about it here on PPRuNe about 15 minutes (perhaps less) after they got the phone call.

I simply asked someone who should know if there were trainees starting in April and the response was 'no, next FY'. Maybe they're right. Maybe they're not. Maybe it won't be the start of the FY and it'll be a bit later. That's the info I have though.

The numbers thrown around at recent meetings indicate still circa 150 on LWOP to phase back in over the next couple of years. Suspect not all of them will return but that may not be many.
Keg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.