Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 4th Mar 2021, 09:24
  #1421 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: The Hague
Posts: 71
If you want to look on the pedantic side, companies don't renew visas, employees do.

On the good news side, E-3 visas can now have premium processing, obviating the need to travel to another country for renewal.
Bellthorpe is offline  
Old 4th Mar 2021, 10:21
  #1422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by Bellthorpe View Post
If you want to look on the pedantic side, companies don't renew visas, employees do.

On the good news side, E-3 visas can now have premium processing, obviating the need to travel to another country for renewal.
I know, but the company doesnít have to support the renewal, basically semantics. Either way at least they didnít kick the pilots to the curb when they theoretically could have.
havick is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2021, 11:27
  #1423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,654
With some indications that US regionals are beginning to recruit pilots, are there still Aussies interested in running away from home to join the circus ? Anyone recently tried it to see what'd happen ?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2021, 22:24
  #1424 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
With some indications that US regionals are beginning to recruit pilots, are there still Aussies interested in running away from home to join the circus ? Anyone recently tried it to see what'd happen ?
I think most stopped hiring Australians before the pandemic, some long before it began. Doubt they will have any need for foreign workers now with so many qualified locals ready to fly.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2021, 22:55
  #1425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by LostWanderer View Post
I think most stopped hiring Australians before the pandemic, some long before it began. Doubt they will have any need for foreign workers now with so many qualified locals ready to fly.
There is one that is a step above a regional about to start hiring E3ís.
havick is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2021, 23:12
  #1426 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,654
Originally Posted by LostWanderer View Post
Doubt they will have any need for foreign workers now with so many qualified locals ready to fly.
LW,

Yes, that crossed my mind too. But airline management is unpredictable.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2021, 02:40
  #1427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by havick View Post
There is one that is a step above a regional about to start hiring E3ís.
Are you sure about that? I think that is going to be beyond a hard sell given how many local pilots could fill those positions.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2021, 12:23
  #1428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 248
Originally Posted by LostWanderer View Post
Are you sure about that? I think that is going to be beyond a hard sell given how many local pilots could fill those positions.
Positive. Theyíre putting through some candidates in the coming months.

Last edited by havick; 16th Mar 2021 at 20:51.
havick is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2021, 08:33
  #1429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: AU
Posts: 24
Any indication as to which airline this is? From their hiring pages, it appears GoJet's E3 visa page appears to still be active and looking like taking applicants
VH-RME is offline  
Old 16th Mar 2021, 23:39
  #1430 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 152
Originally Posted by VH-RME View Post
Any indication as to which airline this is? From their hiring pages, it appears GoJet's E3 visa page appears to still be active and looking like taking applicants
No idea what airline Havick is talking about, but GoJet is a regional, so "a step above" doesn't hold. Whatever this entity is, they are likely not hiring freshies from Australia but E3s already here with 1000+ 121 time. My best guess would be Moxy / Breeze.

Once the laughing stock of the world is now vaccinating the entire Australian population every week, cases are reflecting that and airlines are getting excited. Big hiring and expansion coming from all soon if the covid trends continue in the right direction, so I'd advise anyone on the fence to dust off those resumes.
umop apisdn is offline  
Old 17th Mar 2021, 15:31
  #1431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by umop apisdn View Post
Once the laughing stock of the world is now vaccinating the entire Australian population every week, cases are reflecting that and airlines are getting excited. Big hiring and expansion coming from all soon if the covid trends continue in the right direction, so I'd advise anyone on the fence to dust off those resumes.
Probably a tad over-optimistic. There will likely be some hiring by the majors and possibly some by the regionals but thereís every indication that initially, any increase in domestic flying will be done by NB aircraft rather than RJís. The big question mark is international travel and the feed it provides to the domestic sector. Whether you agree or not, the ability to travel internationally is going to come down to whether youíve been vaccinated or not and thereís a lot of people in this country who simply donít believe they should.

As always, donít believe it until youíre sitting in it.
Kenny is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2021, 15:35
  #1432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Just checking to see if anyone has some intel on how the Aussies flying for the now-defunct US regionals have made out. Someone must know somebody who knows somebody.

I saw the question asked on APC about Aussies from ExpressJet but no one seemed to know where they went.
I managed to get lucky and found another job back in GA in Australia after Xjet was sucked into the void.

Interestingly, I got an e-mail from a GoJet recruiter a few days ago letting me know that the E3 program may be up and running again in May/June and asked if I was still interested in a position.

Signs that confidence is starting to return.
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 19th Mar 2021, 18:43
  #1433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,654
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
Interestingly, I got an e-mail from a GoJet recruiter a few days ago letting me know that the E3 program may be up and running again in May/June and asked if I was still interested in a position.

Signs that confidence is starting to return.
Glad you managed to land on your feet post-XJT.

Is a GoJet offer of any interest to you ?

Last edited by bafanguy; 19th Mar 2021 at 19:00.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 02:29
  #1434 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
Glad you managed to land on your feet post-XJT.

Is a GoJet offer of any interest to you ?
Thanks! At this stage I am not in any rush to roll the dice. Things are still much too unstable and if things were to turn south, I don't have any faith that GoJet would give E3s any sort of support.

Going to stay where I have some stability currently and monitor things for at least 6-12 months. There are rumours that there may be some hiring on the horizon at the Australian carriers also.
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 05:49
  #1435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
Thanks! At this stage I am not in any rush to roll the dice. Things are still much too unstable and if things were to turn south, I don't have any faith that GoJet would give E3s any sort of support.

Going to stay where I have some stability currently and monitor things for at least 6-12 months. There are rumours that there may be some hiring on the horizon at the Australian carriers also.
Good move, GoJet is the last man standing in the Trans States group. Certainly would not be shocked to hear them go belly up in the not to distant future. They promised their other two airlines things were peachy then suddenly they were all unemployed a short time later.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 06:11
  #1436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Up there.
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
There are rumours that there may be some hiring on the horizon at the Australian carriers also.
I'd be very amazed at this.
Dookie on Drums is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 12:50
  #1437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a pipe in the upstairs water closet
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by Dookie on Drums View Post
I'd be very amazed at this.
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...eedy-recovery/

VA is hedging their bets. Hopefully lots of guys and gals can get their livelihoods back.

Fuel-Off
Fuel-Off is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 13:03
  #1438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Up there.
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Fuel-Off View Post
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...eedy-recovery/

VA is hedging their bets. Hopefully lots of guys and gals can get their livelihoods back.

Fuel-Off
As I said, I'd be very amazed. Surely you don't take everything you read as gospel?
Dookie on Drums is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 08:08
  #1439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 47
Rumors from the inside say that Q-link to start hiring again shortly in Australia, as well as more movement over in the US as commute begin to expand into the void left by Express Jet. Another 6-12 months and the sun may begin to shine once more.
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 29th Mar 2021, 21:14
  #1440 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,654
Found this overview of US regional hiring in case there are any interested Aussies... or regionals that might hire them:

Courtesy of FAPA
  • Air Wisconsin: Has recently begun hiring FOs off the street with scheduled classes to start in late April
  • CommutAir: Hiring FOs off the street, new hire classes scheduled every two weeks
  • Endeavor: Has started hiring FOs off the street with new hire classes starting every Monday
  • Envoy: No updated information on pilot hiring or training at the time of this bulletin
  • GoJet: Actively hiring FOs off the street and have scheduled new hire classes
  • Horizon: Had a hiring window in early March that has since closed. Planning for new hire classes in March and April
  • Mesa: Has not yet started hiring pilots off the street, but they have been recalling pilots with job offers/class dates from 2020. Their first new hire class will be in early April
  • Piedmont: Getting close to starting to hire off the street and are currently accepting applications. Planning for new hire classes sometime in April
  • PSA: Recently started aggressively hiring pilots off the street with hopes of filling new hire classes to be scheduled every two weeks, starting in April
  • Republic: Has not yet started hiring pilots and no new info on new hire classes (furloughed trainees tentatively coming back in May 2021)
  • Skywest: While they have not yet started hiring new pilots, they started recalling all of their pilots who were sent home from 2020 classes this month. No information on new hire classes as of yet
bafanguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.