Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 8th Jan 2019, 19:42
  #841 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,433
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by zondaracer

Hire till you furlough. If pilots start abandoning ship, someone has to fly the planes until the last one leaves property.
Z,

Would you say that Commutair has a bit more certainty to its mid range future than the other regionals taking E3s ?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2019, 23:11
  #842 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 215
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Bafanguy,

So far there has been no word of hiring E3s or otherwise slowing at C5. We're supposed to take delivery of another 9 jets this year, taking the fleet up to 41. Then there are options from UA for another 20 jets.

I also heard a rumour that all the JetGo guys that were supposed to be coming over are due to start training soon or are already coming through the system.

WRT training, C5 has the process of dealing with Aussie conversions relatively down pat, so as long as you put the effort in you'll come out of it with some good quals.

As always, I will shamelessly put any interested aussies in touch with a recruiter, because I like those referral bonuses

Edit: while I think of it, the C5 contract is due to be negotiated by years end. While our contract is not very competitive right now, if a decent contract gets up, combined with the CPP, it could mean enough yanks are interested to the point Aussies are cut off. Just more murk in the crystal ball.
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 03:04
  #843 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 453
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
at C5.

WRT training, C5

the C5 contract is
Dude. Please. For the love of little blonde haired sweet baby Jesus ...... Stop saying “C5”. You’re embarrassing yourself. What makes you think that anyone knows what “C5” means ? Do you think that American Airlines pilots refer to the company as “AAL” when they talk to each other, or refer to the company ?
JPJP is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 14:27
  #844 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 215
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JPJP


Dude. Please. For the love of little blonde haired sweet baby Jesus ...... Stop saying “C5”. You’re embarrassing yourself. What makes you think that anyone knows what “C5” means ? Do you think that American Airlines pilots refer to the company as “AAL” when they talk to each other, or refer to the company ?
Hiya JPJP,

I didn't mean to upset you, so I apologize. It is actually very common though for not just personnel, but the airline's themselves to refer to themselves by their code. For example, Skywest is OO, and I think Expressjet is XJT. CommutAir is C5. I figured it would be appropriate, since this is a thread about working in the US. Those who don't know what it is need only ask, but they'll have to learn it eventually, especially when they're doing some research on airlinepilotcentral.

DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 14:40
  #845 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 157
Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts
Happy for you to put me in touch with a recruiter mate, only if you share the referee bonus.
LostontheLOC is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 17:23
  #846 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,244
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I share for sure
pilotchute is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 19:37
  #847 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 551
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
Hiya JPJP,

I didn't mean to upset you, so I apologize. It is actually very common though for not just personnel, but the airline's themselves to refer to themselves by their code. For example, Skywest is OO, and I think Expressjet is XJT. CommutAir is C5. I figured it would be appropriate, since this is a thread about working in the US. Those who don't know what it is need only ask, but they'll have to learn it eventually, especially when they're doing some research on airlinepilotcentral.

Remember that at the job fairs, guys introducing themselves by the airline code. Not many but a few. Found it very odd.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2019, 20:35
  #848 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ewemerica
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi DropYS, I agree Commute is a good choice with the growth and I would rate at well above mesa, go jet, trans states (bottom of the barrel these three). The top Regional in industry conditions has been Endeavour for a while now, but that choice has never been available to E3s and the backlog is now very long even if it were. (after this the list would be Republic, Skywest ... again no E3s on the table with these two).

It's horses for courses it really depends on the match people want. I'm at Piedmont and i liked the immediate travel benefits covering LAX - SYD and also the paid salary which you can double dip on. This is because training is backed up at Piedmont (PDT by the way) and they will give you the ok to keep flying in your old job after you are on payroll. Top group of people here are great support offered through training. I have heard mostly good things about Commute also.

I double dipped with for several months after indoc and before Systems by continuing to instruct in Oz. With the trips to and from the US all covered to do this. (not even tax to pay)

I'm also a referral benefits addict and I have always split this fifty-fifty with anyone who comes to be a Piedmonster like me. (so half of $5000 after tax for PDT on top of the either $16200 or $21200 or $44000 USD you get depending on experience)

Cheers Ralphi
Ralphi is offline  
Old 10th Jan 2019, 00:13
  #849 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Seat 1A on days off.
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nuffin unusual about airline codes.

@JPJP - wots to be embarrassed about airline codes mate, you shud get out more You might have to be the embarrassed one for bringin' it up A lot of carrier staff use their IATA (2 letter) or ICAO (3 letter) codes... EK, EY, QR, BA, KLM, AF, LH, SQ/SIA, TG, CX, KA, MH/MAS, AK, KAL, HX are pretty common and sometimes AA & UA. Even QF and VA (when it isn't Quaint-a$$ or the Flying Rat).

Back on topic... So officially it's this:

Thank you for your application. We regret to inform you that at this time, we are unable to hire you as we have discontinued our sponsorship of E-3 visas. This decision is due to the fact that we have had a large influx of domestic applicants after our new pay package and we can no longer justify the additional cost of the sponsorship. If the market changes, it is possible the program will return. Please continue to keep in touch and we would encourage you to re-apply should circumstances change.

Please understand that we are still interested to see your candidacy in future opportunities, and wish you the best of luck moving forward. You can also get regular updates by following us on Twitter (@SkyWestJobs) and at Facebook.com/SkyWestAirlinesJobs.

Best Regards,
SkyWest Airlines Pilot Recruitment.
At least they are quick and polite about it
Chill is offline  
Old 10th Jan 2019, 01:53
  #850 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Perth
Posts: 305
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chill
Back on topic... So officially it's this:



At least they are quick and polite about it
So that other rumour why SkyWest stopped hiring Australians on the E3 was not the reason?
VH DSJ is offline  
Old 16th Jan 2019, 21:58
  #851 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 453
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
Hiya JPJP,

I didn't mean to upset you, so I apologize. It is actually very common though for not just personnel, but the airline's themselves to refer to themselves by their code. For example, Skywest is OO, and I think Expressjet is XJT. CommutAir is C5. I figured it would be appropriate, since this is a thread about working in the US. Those who don't know what it is need only ask, but they'll have to learn it eventually, especially when they're doing some research on airlinepilotcentral.

You didn’t upset me DYS. I don’t usually quote Top Gear when I’m upset. As DUXNUTZ says, the habit seems to be fashionable amongst a small percentage of new regional pilots.

Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ
Remember that at the job fairs, guys introducing themselves by the airline code. Not many but a few. Found it very odd.
A brand new Skywest pilot asked for a jumpseat recently. He introduced himself as ‘BillyBob* from double oh’. The FO said - whatthefuk is a double oh ? BillyBob was horrified that nobody wanted to play the game. The point is this; we’re in the Australia forum. Most don’t know what C5 or OO means. A lot don’t care. If your goal is to educate, then perhaps use the real name at least once ?

I do appreciate the education though. I’ve been flying in the States for around 20 years. Two regionals, and one of the four large passenger majors for 13 years. Thanks for filling me in.

Originally Posted by Chill
@JPJP - wots to be embarrassed about airline codes mate, you shud get out more [img]images/smilies/badteeth.gif You might have to be the embarrassed one for bringin' it up [img]https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/images/smilies/nerd.gif A lot of carrier staff use their IATA (2 letter) or ICAO (3 letter) codes... EK, EY, QR, BA, KLM, AF, LH, SQ/SIA, TG, CX, KA, MH/MAS, AK, KAL, HX are pretty common and sometimes AA & UA. Even QF and VA (when it isn't Quaint-a$$ or the Flying Rat).

Lol. There’s a lot to unpack there. I thank you as well for the education. You’ve been in the Asian jungles for a long time it seems, so I won’t question your worldliness. One of the reasons they refer to KLM, as KLM - It’s written on the side of thefukin airplane The rest, I’ll leave alone. Stay cool.




* I made his name up to protect him from himself




JPJP is offline  
Old 17th Jan 2019, 14:29
  #852 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 253
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JPJP


I do appreciate the education though. I’ve been flying in the States for around 20 years. Two regionals, and one of the four large passenger majors for 13 years. Thanks for filling me in.
You're oddly defensive considering you rate yourself so highly.
umop apisdn is offline  
Old 17th Jan 2019, 19:20
  #853 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 453
Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by umop apisdn
You're oddly defensive considering you rate yourself so highly.
There was nothing in my post that indicated defensiveness nor ‘rating myself highly’. DYS ‘splained’ the airline environment in the U.S. My post indicated that I’m familiar with it.

Fail.
JPJP is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2019, 18:46
  #854 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 215
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JPJP


There was nothing in my post that indicated defensiveness nor ‘rating myself highly’. DYS ‘splained’ the airline environment in the U.S. My post indicated that I’m familiar with it.

Fail.
Thanks JPJP for the words of encouragement.

I can only represent myself based on my experiences so far in the US, as relatively limited as it might be compared to someone of 20 years. Despite that I still try to help those who are interested in following the same path.

DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2019, 20:37
  #855 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 161
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VH DSJ
So that other rumour why SkyWest stopped hiring Australians on the E3 was not the reason?
I must say I am very curious on this too DSJ, I guess they wouldn't announce it publicly if it was true? I know at my airline there have been a large number of Aussies suffering training failures and washouts - not saying any more than US guys and gals - but if there are extra expenses involved and a higher number of the Aussie guys are washing out at OO as well then I can see why they would drop it. Again, no way am I saying it is happening there. I can only speak for where I work and worked.

This is also assuming those persistent rumours are not true, which again I hope they are not...but even had an Aussie OO commuter in the JS the other day who said he had heard the same stories internally there but nothing from any official sources.

Regardless, hope they reopen it in the future.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2019, 21:57
  #856 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,244
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the US regional uses a lawyer to do the LCA paperwork then the costs of recruitment will certainly be higher.

I know one US regional does it inhouse so the cost difference is negligible.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2019, 23:08
  #857 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,433
Likes: 0
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotchute
I know one US regional does it inhouse so the cost difference is negligible.
I assumed they'd all do it in-house once the process was set up and understood by the airline's HR cubicle droids. Isn't it just shooting fish in a barrel after that ?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2019, 02:09
  #858 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,244
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you would think so but Skywest paid an external company to do it which was rather expensive.

The employer can download all the templates needed with a quick Google search.

Last edited by pilotchute; 19th Jan 2019 at 16:20.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2019, 19:31
  #859 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 253
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts
It's funny because OO did have the process absolutely down pat internally, then they employed a bunch of supposed professionals to take care of it, then they ended up making a fool of themselves. I haven't heard of them messing it up lately but in the beginning it was a total failure.

Originally Posted by LostWanderer
I know at my airline there have been a large number of Aussies suffering training failures and washouts.
That sucks. I don't think I've heard of any Aussies at OO washing out of new hire training. We tend to invest a lot in coming over so also have a fair bit to lose by failing. That is disappointing to hear that Aussies are washing out of C5.

The rumours are exactly that, but I think if we still had the same pay, they'd still be hiring Aussies irrespective of any wrongdoing. There might have been a few bad apples, and in a time where OO is filling classes to the brims with Americans again, its a pretty easy cord to cut. They are going to keep paying the Visa facilitator anyway, because they are going to continue to renew the Aussies that are already on property.
umop apisdn is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2019, 21:22
  #860 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 551
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LostWanderer
I must say I am very curious on this too DSJ, I guess they wouldn't announce it publicly if it was true? I know at my airline there have been a large number of Aussies suffering training failures and washouts - not saying any more than US guys and gals - but if there are extra expenses involved and a higher number of the Aussie guys are washing out at OO as well then I can see why they would drop it. Again, no way am I saying it is happening there. I can only speak for where I work and worked.

This is also assuming those persistent rumours are not true, which again I hope they are not...but even had an Aussie OO commuter in the JS the other day who said he had heard the same stories internally there but nothing from any official sources.

Regardless, hope they reopen it in the future.
Which airline?
DUXNUTZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.