Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Reply

Old 23rd Jun 2018, 10:09
  #641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by LostWanderer View Post
If you don't have a bachelors in aviation or the required years of industry experience in lieu of said degree then please be extra extra careful with this process guys! Interestingly, I believe I have even read a few people mention recruitment at a few airlines are starting to tighten the bolts a little too in the requirement for a degree or 12 years flying experience.

My understanding is airlines can file the paperwork for anyone to take to a consulate...its on you to be honest about your qualifications and if you actually meet the specific E3 requirements at the end of the day. It's really not a good idea to just hope you get an easy consulate staff member.
LW,

Interesting and it raises another question or two:

(1) If an "aviation" degree is the only one meeting the criteria for an E3, does this put non-av degree holders in the same category as those with no degree at all, leaving time in the industry as the sole determining E3 criterion ?

(2) How is the "time in the industry" being calculated ? Paid, professional years only...training years + paid, working years ?

"...airlines can file the paperwork for anyone to take to a consulate..."...true enough. But it's the responsibility of the consulate to pass judgement on quals presented; applicants only have what they have. This looks like government makes the mistake...and YOU get punished for it. Yet another reason why the kakistocracy is never to be trusted.

Having E3s come here and fly has been a win-win deal. I automatically assume applicants have presented themselves honestly to a consulate. It'd be a shame to have this thing upended by actions of incompetent government cubicle droids but I won't be surprised if it is.

Last edited by bafanguy; 23rd Jun 2018 at 11:46.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 11:44
  #642 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,085
Anything is possible with a good legal team. Melania trump got a H1B visa.

I think the outcome of your E3 application is only as good as your immigration lawyer.

Legal arguments can twist anything you like.
pilotchute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 12:12
  #643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
Anything is possible with a good legal team. Melania trump got a H1B visa.

I think the outcome of your E3 application is only as good as your immigration lawyer.
I think Melania runs with much "faster horses" than lowly airline pilots.

Do people getting visas under the aegis of a US regional airline even have an immigration lawyer ?
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 19:54
  #644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
LW,

Interesting and it raises another question or two:

(1) If an "aviation" degree is the only one meeting the criteria for an E3, does this put non-av degree holders in the same category as those with no degree at all, leaving time in the industry as the sole determining E3 criterion ?

(2) How is the "time in the industry" being calculated ? Paid, professional years only...training years + paid, working years ?

"...airlines can file the paperwork for anyone to take to a consulate..."...true enough. But it's the responsibility of the consulate to pass judgement on quals presented; applicants only have what they have. This looks like government makes the mistake...and YOU get punished for it. Yet another reason why the kakistocracy is never to be trusted.
I'm not an absolute expert by any means but my understanding is that if all procedures are being followed as written and as a number of consulate staff are now operating then: 1 - Correct, if no aviation degree, time in industry is what you need. (The staff member I saw last time and fairly recently was extremely thorough on seeing these items) And 2 - Time in industry is time you have been a paid, working commercial pilot. Which I know a number folks have had to start to back up with a letter of service on company letterhead from their respective former employers etc...

Professional Amateur - I don't think the music is anywhere near stopping thankfully. I just suspect there will now be a stronger emphasis on your actual qualifications in the future for applicants. There are certainly a huge amount more consulate rejections going on now for applicants than there was 6-12 month ago. But who knows, things change so quickly based on who's in office and what the current political climate is...unfortunately at the moment neither are too positive when it comes to immigration matters!
LostWanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 21:38
  #645 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Going home
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
I think Melania runs with much "faster horses" than lowly airline pilots.

Do people getting visas under the aegis of a US regional airline even have an immigration lawyer ?
Yes they now do. The airline I'm at uses a subcontractor to do all this and the subcontractor engages an immigration attorney to get the paper work together. I'm in the process of renewing my E3 visa. Can't believe it's been two years since I got my initial E3 issued.
VH DSJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 23:50
  #646 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ._..._...
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
"...airlines can file the paperwork for anyone to take to a consulate..."...true enough. But it's the responsibility of the consulate to pass judgement on quals presented; applicants only have what they have. This looks like government makes the mistake...and YOU get punished for it. Yet another reason why the kakistocracy is never to be trusted.
Correct ... but when the government makes the rules, they can change/break/do whatever they want with them as they see fit. Having read back through this thread about guys saying they got through the system without the stated requirements, it makes me shudder to think how risky that is.

1 thing I am vary wary of being over here in the US, is if you get a red mark on your record (whether it be your fault, the consulates fault for approving you when they shouldn't have) this can create all kinds of problems trying to get back over here on another work visa (even if all your ducks are in a row) or even as a tourist.
vee1-rotate is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 23:53
  #647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ._..._...
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
Anything is possible with a good legal team. Melania trump got a H1B visa.

I think the outcome of your E3 application is only as good as your immigration lawyer.

Legal arguments can twist anything you like.
I wouldn't risk this as your backup ... I had to go and see an immigration attorney once for a small paperwork issue here, and I was quoted a couple thousand as they usually charge in a lump sum (instead of hourly).

If the company you're working for has an immigration attorney, all well and good but do you really think they are going to put this person to work on your case for an extended period of time if the issue is that complex ? Unless you have top gun skills and are 1-of-a-kind pilot, highly unlikely.
vee1-rotate is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2018, 04:11
  #648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Houston
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by vee1-rotate View Post
Correct ... but when the government makes the rules, they can change/break/do whatever they want with them as they see fit. Having read back through this thread about guys saying they got through the system without the stated requirements, it makes me shudder to think how risky that is.

1 thing I am vary wary of being over here in the US, is if you get a red mark on your record (whether it be your fault, the consulates fault for approving you when they shouldn't have) this can create all kinds of problems trying to get back over here on another work visa (even if all your ducks are in a row) or even as a tourist.
Bingo. Just be fully aware of the score before you jump head first in to the E3 swimming pool As previously mentioned - and I may have been one of the few, I was required to provide evidence of education AND industry experience last time before I was approved, as a number of other folks have too that I know of. It was far from one of these "10 second interviews" some have had some time back.

I know of one airline here that has taken use of a third party to prepare paperwork, not sure if it is same one DSJ mentioned...I can't say I know a lot about that mob but from the folks I know there who are in the process...it sounds like its not impressing them much and is far from a well oiled machine.

Immigration/visa laws and conditions in the US really need to be followed to the letter, they take it extremely seriously. Sadly it will be the applicant that is punished more than the person who approves the visa if happens to go pear shaped. You sure don't want to get on the bad side of Uncle Sam! Good luck to all though! Play it safe guys and gals.
LostWanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2018, 12:10
  #649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by LostWanderer View Post
Sadly it will be the applicant that is punished more than the person who approves the visa if happens to go pear shaped. You sure don't want to get on the bad side of Uncle Sam! Good luck to all though! Play it safe guys and gals.
Yep, they'll crush you like a bug...and think nothing of it. Sure hope this doesn't stop our Aussie cousins from migrating north. The regional need will continue.
bafanguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2018, 01:38
  #650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 94
post from September 2017

Originally Posted by going_up View Post
Hi guys,
I hope you are all doing well! I have had a ton of inquiries from Aussie from all around the world asking about SkyWest. I have been with the company just short of two years now and was fortunate enough to be the first E3 visa pilot at any US airline. I cannot speak highly enough of how great my work/lifestyle is with SkyWest for my wife, little one and myself. Feel free to PM with any questions.
Skywest only just placed the ad on AFAP within the last 24 hours. SkyWest are eager to recruit Australian pilots who meet the E3 and FAA ATP requirements. Long story short, you do not need a degree in aviation, but you need 12 years work experience equivalent. How this works? For ever year of tertiary education (CPL, CIR, META, ATPL, etc) equates to 3 years work experience. So lets say you have been working for 6 years, and it took you 2 years of training to obtain your certificates full time, then you meet the requirements. That being said, a degree obviously covers this requirement without any further experience required but the degree must major in aviation. I am more than happy to help look at anyones situation who is looking to join Skywest.

I have already received a fair few guys emails and have contacted them directly. Feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks once again for all those interested!

Reading back through the posts on this topic, i'd like to know whether the above assumption still applies or is correct?

Does flying training to CPL/I.R/ATPL theory subjects, still count as 2 years, of the so called "4 year degree?"

Meaning,if a person "doesn't have a degree", the 2 years flying training (counts as 2 years of a degree),and 6 years of employment as a pilot,
covers the remaining 2 years of a degree (3 years work experience equals 1 year of a degree).
Seagull201 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2018, 07:36
  #651 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elsewhere
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by Seagull201 View Post
Reading back through the posts on this topic, i'd like to know whether the above assumption still applies or is correct?

Does flying training to CPL/I.R/ATPL theory subjects, still count as 2 years, of the so called "4 year degree?"

Meaning,if a person "doesn't have a degree", the 2 years flying training (counts as 2 years of a degree),and 6 years of employment as a pilot,
covers the remaining 2 years of a degree (3 years work experience equals 1 year of a degree).
i have mates with no degree and 3 years of seasonal ga work who got in?
Flyboy1987 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jun 2018, 17:28
  #652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ._..._...
Posts: 267
Originally Posted by Flyboy1987 View Post


i have mates with no degree and 3 years of seasonal ga work who got in?
These are the guys myself and LostWanderer are talking about above ....
vee1-rotate is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2018, 11:54
  #653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australasia
Posts: 82
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
CockpitJunkie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2018, 12:02
  #654 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,085
Australian regionals aren't short. Qlink get plenty of applicants every month. Any lack of line pilots in an Australian airline is due to lack of sims or training staff. Not pilots.
pilotchute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2018, 13:44
  #655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1,102
Originally Posted by CockpitJunkie View Post
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
looks like you havenít read the thread at all
havick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2018, 17:55
  #656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 78
You joking right

Originally Posted by CockpitJunkie View Post
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
Embraer 175 or CRJ 700/900 twin jet time flying in and out of the busiest airports in the world v REX or Sharp airlines on a $H!TTY metro or Saab 340

OKAAAAAAYYY......
Daddy Fantastic is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2018, 23:11
  #657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 237
Originally Posted by CockpitJunkie View Post
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
Exactly the type of pilot who would benefit from the experience.
Karunch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2018, 02:56
  #658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 94
I've read an in depth news article today, from a US website called "aircraft pilot".
Apparently, the pilot shortage in the U.S regionals is starting to become so severe.

The U.S needs 3,600 new pilots a year now, and every year, MOSTLY in the regionals,
that figure will increase to over 4,000 new pilots needed per year, in 5 years time.

In 10 years time, up to 40% of current airline Captains will retire.
There is a current push, to increase the retirement age from 65 to 67, it appears, it's likely to happen.
Seagull201 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2018, 05:53
  #659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by Seagull201 View Post
I've read an in depth news article today, from a US website called "aircraft pilot".
Apparently, the pilot shortage in the U.S regionals is starting to become so severe.

The U.S needs 3,600 new pilots a year now, and every year, MOSTLY in the regionals,
that figure will increase to over 4,000 new pilots needed per year, in 5 years time.

In 10 years time, up to 40% of current airline Captains will retire.
There is a current push, to increase the retirement age from 65 to 67, it appears, it's likely to happen.

Great if it comes off. Delta/United/Southwest have all cut back recruitment suddenly for reasons unknown but possibly due increasing fuel prices. Iím very skeptical still of the shortage crisis holding up, if it was coming to roost Delta, FedEx etc would have to dumb down their nasa style interviews somewhat.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jul 2018, 10:09
  #660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,085
Syria has restarted oil production so the prices will drop again soon.
pilotchute is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service