Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 29th Jan 2023, 22:32
  #2681 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 359
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stillcallozhome
Kenny did it. Although he went back to US in the end. It’s something I wish I did but family wise, wasn’t an option (Sorry Kenny, hope you don’t mind me saying so).

For all those that go, then want to come back, it was possible when the “market” was tight. It’s only going to get easier in terms of returning. Go have fun! Enjoy it. You’re crazy not to. One thing about aviation though, it will always be different tomorrow.
Nope, don’t mind at all.

Ironically, the only reason I returned to Oz to fly was because there were a lack of options in the USA at the time (2010). But yes, ultimately I returned to the US and it was the single smartest decision I‘ve made in career that’s been marked by really sh!t timing.

Loved the lifestyle in Sydney, Enjoyed doing a single 3 day trip to Bali, every week. Made some great friends and met some interesting people.

Hated, the pedantic and anal training culture but ultimately made my peace with it.. Stunned by the shear and unbelievable arrogance I encountered in more than a number of my colleagues. I kept my head down but tall f#cking poppy syndrome is alive and kicking in 21st century Australia. (Being a 737 Captain does not, I’m afraid to break it to you, mean you are god).

As I used to say, the Yanks may have invented aviation but the Oztralians have perfected it.

Last edited by Kenny; 29th Jan 2023 at 22:47.
Kenny is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2023, 06:23
  #2682 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: tossbagville
Posts: 795
Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts
I couldn't tell if tossbag was serious or just being tongue-in-cheek
The aviation industry in Australia is small, and insular. It also bears grudges. However, it was tongue in cheek, I'm sarcastic by nature. Having said that, a couple of mates were early recipients of the E3, one mate in particular interviewed at Virgin, Jetstar (twice) and wasn't good enough for them, despite being a CAR217 checky and having a great resume. Do ya reckon Virgin and Jetstar would change their tune and welcome him into the fold after returning from the States? Don't think so. There is an attitude amongst a great many Australian pilots that you are cheating if you get a US ATP and that the Australian ATPL has a far higher standard, that may be the case theory wise, but you will get a far broader practical experience in the States and an Australian based pilot cannot bear the thought that someone else may be better than them. The fella I speak of progressed to T&C before scoring a green card and moving onto the 320 with a major. There was zero chance of him ever getting there in Australia.

There seem to be a number of Austronauts who are convinced that the E3 is a trap, that it will turn to shit. The Australian aviation industry is a far greater turd than the US will ever be. So what if in 2 or 3 years it ends, great experiences will have been had. The pilots can come back to Australia, infiltrate the airlines and whenever any situation crops up they can say 'in the States, we used to do it this way' and sit back, laugh and listen to the ranting and raving that creates.
tossbag is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 30th Jan 2023, 09:16
  #2683 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 542
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tossbag
The aviation industry in Australia is small, and insular. It also bears grudges. However, it was tongue in cheek, I'm sarcastic by nature. Having said that, a couple of mates were early recipients of the E3, one mate in particular interviewed at Virgin, Jetstar (twice) and wasn't good enough for them, despite being a CAR217 checky and having a great resume. Do ya reckon Virgin and Jetstar would change their tune and welcome him into the fold after returning from the States? Don't think so. There is an attitude amongst a great many Australian pilots that you are cheating if you get a US ATP and that the Australian ATPL has a far higher standard, that may be the case theory wise, but you will get a far broader practical experience in the States and an Australian based pilot cannot bear the thought that someone else may be better than them. The fella I speak of progressed to T&C before scoring a green card and moving onto the 320 with a major. There was zero chance of him ever getting there in Australia.

There seem to be a number of Austronauts who are convinced that the E3 is a trap, that it will turn to shit. The Australian aviation industry is a far greater turd than the US will ever be. So what if in 2 or 3 years it ends, great experiences will have been had. The pilots can come back to Australia, infiltrate the airlines and whenever any situation crops up they can say 'in the States, we used to do it this way' and sit back, laugh and listen to the ranting and raving that creates.
I had the fortune (misfortune) of doing all AUSSIE ATPL subjects back in the day and having to convert my US ATP anyway whilst in Indoc at one of the two employers of choice in Oz. I hated doing them, and have jumped up and down how silly the Oz ATPL theory is but itís best described like going to university/college. Itís a great background education. Iím consistently surprised at the lack of general knowledge amongst US widebody CAís I fly with.

Contrary to Kennnyís post above I also think that thereís prob just as many psychos youíll fly with in the States as there is in Oz. That may be a factor of equipment though.

I was surprised to hear an Ozmate recently went back to Oz for Bonza.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 30th Jan 2023, 10:23
  #2684 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fieldsworthy
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 3wickets
Most of us have had to bust our nuts in G.A to get here , but once your here. The view from the top is second to none.
Don't be telling the yanks you had to "bust a nut" to make it in GA. They may not feel comfortable flying with you.
Eclan is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by Eclan:
Old 30th Jan 2023, 19:57
  #2685 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,316
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
He doesnít get it
morno is online now  
Old 31st Jan 2023, 03:14
  #2686 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gíday all,

Been having a read through this thread lately, thank you all for sharing your knowledge about this topic.
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any websites or platforms or their own experiences on obtaining GA jobs for low hour pilots in the USA. I am on the Gold Coast about to begin my MEIR (will have about 250 hours TT when complete) and itís my goal to settle in America, having lived there before and loved it. I understand most here are discussing Airline positions, but I thought Iíd try my luck and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Ben
benburgess93 is offline  
Old 31st Jan 2023, 13:16
  #2687 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,258
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
ben,

Getting that first job as a fresh CPL is a tough one. From my observations in FAA land, instructing (with another expensive rating required) is the most common job for a new CPL. But, I don't know if there is any shortage of CFIs lately to help qualifying for an E3. There are surely lots of new people here asking the same question you have.

Non-instructing jobs will commonly fall under FAR Part 135 and will require about 500 hours TT for a VFR-only spot...go up from there...and those are likely few and far between:

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-1...-135/subpart-E

I hope someone will come along shortly with more info. Good luck and hang in there !
bafanguy is offline  
Old 31st Jan 2023, 17:34
  #2688 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 444
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by benburgess93
Gíday all,

Been having a read through this thread lately, thank you all for sharing your knowledge about this topic.
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any websites or platforms or their own experiences on obtaining GA jobs for low hour pilots in the USA. I am on the Gold Coast about to begin my MEIR (will have about 250 hours TT when complete) and itís my goal to settle in America, having lived there before and loved it. I understand most here are discussing Airline positions, but I thought Iíd try my luck and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Ben
I donít think youíll be able to get an E3 visa with a basic CPL. Not to mention unless you meet ATP mins, thereís a whole lot more training to get an FAA CPL.

take a look at part 61 regs in FAA.
havick is online now  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 03:39
  #2689 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: In a box
Posts: 348
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
If Ben had a degree, would that help in regards to the E3?

I would expect there is a lot of movement with instructors in the USA as well, as they get their hours up and move to the regionals.

Have heard Delta FO's are getting offered commands within their 1000 hours FO time or 8 months but not sure if the 1000 hours overrides that?

Servo is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 05:18
  #2690 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 444
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Servo
If Ben had a degree, would that help in regards to the E3?

I would expect there is a lot of movement with instructors in the USA as well, as they get their hours up and move to the regionals.

Have heard Delta FO's are getting offered commands within their 1000 hours FO time or 8 months but not sure if the 1000 hours overrides that?
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...ml#post3577045
havick is online now  
Old 1st Feb 2023, 09:38
  #2691 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by benburgess93
Gíday all,

Been having a read through this thread lately, thank you all for sharing your knowledge about this topic.
I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any websites or platforms or their own experiences on obtaining GA jobs for low hour pilots in the USA. I am on the Gold Coast about to begin my MEIR (will have about 250 hours TT when complete) and itís my goal to settle in America, having lived there before and loved it. I understand most here are discussing Airline positions, but I thought Iíd try my luck and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Ben

I might know a place that has taken guys/girls with 200hrs TT and put them in a multi turbine role as an FO. Builds hours quick and gets you to the states quicker?
Likeasomebody is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 06:55
  #2692 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: tossbagville
Posts: 795
Received 170 Likes on 99 Posts
and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated
Your best bet, at this stage of your career if you want to get into the States is a tinder subscription and set the location to one of the bigger cities. More fish.
tossbag is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 11:04
  #2693 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: rookie land
Age: 30
Posts: 160
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Likeasomebody
I might know a place that has taken guys/girls with 200hrs TT and put them in a multi turbine role as an FO. Builds hours quick and gets you to the states quicker?
Sounds like Machjet.
the_rookie is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2023, 21:37
  #2694 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,258
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The latest from PSA Airlines. If you go to their F/O recruiting page, and scroll down, they're still saying they take E3s:

"PSA is now accepting applications from Australian pilots eligible for an E-3 Visa. E-3 Visa applicants must meet all hiring and Visa requirements prior to hire. Complete the First Officer application and a member of our recruiting team will reach out regarding next steps."

https://simpleflying.com/psa-extends...es-new-pilots/


https://www.psaairlines.com/first-officers
bafanguy is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 01:18
  #2695 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 205
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
The latest from PSA Airlines. If you go to their F/O recruiting page, and scroll down, they're still saying they take E3s:

"PSA is now accepting applications from Australian pilots eligible for an E-3 Visa. E-3 Visa applicants must meet all hiring and Visa requirements prior to hire. Complete the First Officer application and a member of our recruiting team will reach out regarding next steps."

https://simpleflying.com/psa-extends...es-new-pilots/


https://www.psaairlines.com/first-officers
I think I saw today that they've also extended their higher pay rates through until 2026. More than enough time to make some money and get further up the food chain.
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 10:52
  #2696 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 677
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
A bit of a roll back to some previous posts about deicing and how some people think it's just "reading a checklist".

Here is a link to a clip showing deicing misery.

Climb150 is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 22:44
  #2697 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 444
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb150
A bit of a roll back to some previous posts about deicing and how some people think it's just "reading a checklist".

Here is a link to a clip showing deicing misery.

https://youtu.be/bElfWmmBWys
Some airports better than others. Canada has it worked out, almost like going through a carwash in Toronto!
havick is online now  
Old 4th Feb 2023, 07:41
  #2698 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fieldsworthy
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Likeasomebody
I might know a place that has taken guys/girls with 200hrs TT and put them in a multi turbine role as an FO. Builds hours quick and gets you to the states quicker?
That sounds creepy. Like Mr. Herbert. See previous posts on "busting nuts" to get ahead in aviation.
Eclan is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2023, 08:37
  #2699 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,258
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
This from Ameriflight. Not sure if they'll take people without an FAA license:

https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/14...ting-required/
bafanguy is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2023, 15:15
  #2700 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 205
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
This from Ameriflight. Not sure if they'll take people without an FAA license:

https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/14...ting-required/
If I had to do my time again, this would have to be a tempting option vs traditional GA. With all the regionals slowing down their hiring of FOs due to having no captains this is probably one of the more viable routes over now if you're not yet competitive for atlas or Frontier.

I don't know this for sure, but Ameriflight might do some of the part 135 flying that counts towards your 1000 hours for part 121 command. The benefit is if you have low time, you smash your hours at Ameriflight now, then go to the left seat of a regional.
DropYourSocks is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.