PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight standards for class 1. This ok?

Tiger_ Moth
21st Aug 2003, 23:06
For an initial class one medical are these ok or is more information needed?

Right eye: SPH: -3.00 CYL: -2.00 AXIS: 35
Left eye: SPH: -3.75 CYL: -1.00 AXIS: 10

Thanks for your help, but please don't anyone refer me to the CAA's website, I've looked, it's useless.

MilkyWay
21st Aug 2003, 23:36
I think that the Right one would be ok, but at the limit (-3;-2) but the Left one is out of the limit for the moment !

But for a renewal would be ok ! And your left eye is only 0.75 out of the limit. Then it cans improve and be ok for an initial in few months !!!!

MilkyWay

Clogmaster
22nd Aug 2003, 01:28
Tiger Moth
My understanding is that the total correction may not exceed 5 ... in your case, adding together SPH and CYL, you would be within limits in each eye.
There is a limit on the amount of astigmatism (CYL) that is allowed, but I'm not sure what it is.
Why don't you do a search on this forum, this subject has been discussed in a lot of detail before.
Also phone the CAA medical dept. and ask to speak to their optometrist, Mr Adrian Chorley, he is very helpful and will give you a definitive answer.
Good luck!
:ok:

Rod Eddington
23rd Aug 2003, 04:06
The limit for astigmatism is -2.00. So your right eye should scrape through.

Best thing to do is take a printout of the JAA reqs for eyesight (i'm sorry to say you'll have to go to the CAA website for this) to your optician and have him check it out. Could potentially save you £400!

Cheers
Rod :ok:

Here's the link:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds.pdf

Tiger_ Moth
23rd Aug 2003, 05:51
Thanks a lot for your helpful replies. By the way this isn't for me it's for my brother.