PDA

View Full Version : Incident at BK

Natit
21st Aug 2003, 21:11
From another site...

VH-OCF made an emergency landing at BK today with an engine out after a fire in flight.

Just wondering if anyone had anymore info?? OCF is from Johnston Aviation I think...

Thanks

Natit

urkidnme
21st Aug 2003, 22:23
Told flight continued to bankstown after shutting down engine as they were going down the lane into BK when it happened,two experienced pilots onboard,aircraft flew OK on one engine,landed OK,pilots OK and that is the main thing.
Pilots did a great job:ok: no immediate knowledge on cause.

RYAN TCAD
22nd Aug 2003, 06:37
Gazza's fine - he had the plane parked opposite the termnal. I landed about 7pm. Cops from a plain clothes car and security were surrounding the a/c. As i taxiid past, they didn't seem too concerned about the possibility of being introduced to my propellor blades. (Ningkumpoops!!)

One thing i did notice - was the two gaping holes in the crank case. Looks pretty awesome with all that metal torn open!

After shutting down, i went over for a sticky. That port engine was one big mess! One thing we do know for sure is that he had what looked to be enough oil originally in that engine!

Desert Flower
22nd Aug 2003, 09:52
I think Johnston only has the one Chieftain. Is this the same one mentioned in the thread "Aircraft incident originating from BK? And yes, yet another Chieftain with a serious engine failure! :hmm:

AZTRUCKER
22nd Aug 2003, 10:23
DF i am very confused with your post, why the hint of sarcasm?? Are Chieftans the only plane that suffer from serious engine failures?? :confused: :yuk:

Desert Flower
22nd Aug 2003, 12:11
Are Chieftans the only plane that suffer from serious engine failures??

Probably not. But when you do your homework, you will see there have been an awful lot of them in the last few years.

DF.

Bendo
22nd Aug 2003, 12:26
DF,

If you consider the number of Chieftains in the "working" GA fleet, the hours they do each year, the rough treatment received doing freight runs (not a dig at the drivers, just the "mission profile") and the average age of the Chieftain fleet (roughly 25y.o.) then it is not surprising that there is an elevated number of Chieftains in the stats.

Add to that the nature of GA and the less experienced pilots finding their way (again, not a dig - I was one and might be one again) and what would you expect?

I wonder:
*If other aircraft types were substituted in the Chieftains role (say a C310) would they not feature similarly? and
*Compared to hours flown per year, does the Chieftain fleet as a whole have more incidents/accidents than any other type similarly employed?

Have a good weekend!;)

High Altitude
22nd Aug 2003, 12:31
Hang On...

Its the engine having the failure not the aircraft.

Maybe it would be fairer to find a comparison between Continental and Lycoming failures?

And yes given the hours they do..............

Torres
22nd Aug 2003, 12:55
I still don't understand why FJ Holdens aren't still used as Taxis? After all, that too had 1948 engine technology.........

Desert Flower
22nd Aug 2003, 13:11
Its the engine having the failure not the aircraft.

Yes. Specifically the TIO-540-J2BD Lycoming, which is in the Chieftains!

Maybe it would be fairer to find a comparison between Continental and Lycoming failures?

No comparison. But then I have been a Continental lover from day one!

DF.

RYAN TCAD
22nd Aug 2003, 13:29
And no. - This post has nothing to do with the other post titled 'aircraft incident originating from BK'!

olderbutyzer
22nd Aug 2003, 18:45
Ah, Desert Flower - everyone knows you get turned on by the sound of a pair of GTSIO-520's and love Cessnas with "cuddly bits" (tip tanks) on the wings! :) ;)

jerrry
24th Aug 2003, 18:32
No doubt Senator Gareth Bingham's pulse remained at its usual cool calm rate as always......

Onya Gary!!!!!!!!!!!:):):)

Why do you wreck so many Nazi engines Neil ??????????????
Right on hippie............

urkidnme
24th Aug 2003, 22:19
Operators are assisting the ATSB to throughly investigate the casue of the engine failure,it seems that given the extensive damage to the engine and that it's condition hasnt been destroyed by any further misfortune that it may hold some valueable information for safety.

Dont hesitate with an engine failure,do your checks,shut it down if needed,stay calm,and get that prop feathered immediately.

Never assume that you will know when its about to happen and always keep current on your emergency checks,its the best insurance you will ever have.

Bevan666
25th Aug 2003, 08:21
The aeroplane that has the engine has a lot to do with the overall reliability of the engine as the engine itself. Each different type has different cowl and other geometries which greatly affects the cooling and vibration that the engine experiences when in service.

A good example is the Lycoming TIO-540. Very reliable in the saratoga and navajo/chieftain fleet, but has a bundle of problems in the malabu and mirage...

Bevan..

Bevan666
25th Aug 2003, 10:49
Oh ******. :( I spent a good 10 minutes trying to remember which engine was in the Malibu. Shows you I get no points for my memory. Looks like I was 1/2 right - the Lycoming is in the Mirage, but I think they introduced that engine to fix some of the reliability problems they had with the Continental engnie.

Well anyway, the point is still a valid one. I'll see if I can remember some other aircraft with a TSIO-520. The A36TC and B36TC spring to mind, and they suffered from poor reliability too, until the cooling problems were fixed in later B36TC's.

Bevan..

The Messiah
25th Aug 2003, 12:37
'serious engine failures?'

I thought they all were.:oh:

Jamair
25th Aug 2003, 12:54
I fink (emphasis on THINK - I could be wrong) the engine in the Mirage is a TIO-541..... thats the 'tuned induction' version of the TIO-540 (also found in the Duke). Its problems (apparently after research into all the various failures) stemmed mainly from a lack of understanding of how to run the engine using the recommended 'Peak TIT" and 'Lean of Peak' method - for which the engine was optimised and instrumented.

The basic design of the -540 is rock solid - although it has been let down by some poor parts quality in the not-so-distant past. I've said before that anyone running an aero engine without all-cylinder monitoring and trend capture is taking a major risk; literally betting everything on uncalibrated and isolated readings from antique dial guages. My rude awakening on this came after fitting a JPI to my Aztec (IO-540s) and comparing the standard gauges to the all-cylinder readings. This bolt from the blue was rapidly followed by a set of GAMIjectors. If you haven't seen this gear in action, find someone with a setup and check it out. It WILL change the way you fly and manage your expensive engines - as well as save major $$ in fuel and maintenance. I would LOVE to see data capture from the failed PA31 engine in this thread, and how long before the failure (whether) the engine was indicating a problem........or in the Whyalla Chieftain....

Oh, BTW Torres, the V-6 driving the Commodore (todays FJ) is a Buick design that dates back about 1960-something......;)

Desert Flower
25th Aug 2003, 13:46
Well anyway, the point is still a valid one. I'll see if I can remember some other aircraft with a TSIO-520. The A36TC and B36TC spring to mind, and they suffered from poor reliability too, until the cooling problems were fixed in later B36TC's.

The TSIO-520 is specific to the following aircraft:

Beech 58P
Beech F33; V35
Beech A36
Cessna T188C; T188C/A1
Cessna TU206F; TU206G; U206G
Cessna T207A
Cessna 210N; T210G; T210N; T210L; P210N; T210M
Cessna 310R; T310R
Cessna 320D
Cessna 340 & 340A
Cessna 401; 401A; 401B;
Cessna 402; 402A; 402B;402C;
Cessna 414; 414A; 414/A1
PA-46-310P

DF.

Bevan666
26th Aug 2003, 07:33
The V35TC had a TSIO-520-D as did the A36TC and B36 (The B36 is an A36TC without cowl flaps (!!!) and a longer baron wing for better high altitude performance. I cant remember if there was a turbocharged version of the 33 series Bonanza (Debonair) but I suspect there was.

I think we have now moved away from the subject of the thread a bit though.. :)

Bevan..

Desert Flower
26th Aug 2003, 09:44
My information came from a search of the CASA Civil Aircraft Register for aircraft with the engine model TSIO-520, of which there are 133. Does this mean they are wrong as well?

DF.

kiwiblue
26th Aug 2003, 10:02
Probably not DF, but your search criteria may have been a tad loose :) Goes into Boolean searches & yadayadayada, not going there...

Do try to be a little less 1-eyed though... I've spent loads of hours behind & beside 520's & 540's from the humble IO's to the TSIO -VB. Both are bloody good engines and are generally reliable, but if its continuing, on-going, inexpensive reliability with self-respecting TBO and ease of use you seek, then I would have to say (imho) the Lycoming is a clear winner every time.