PDA

View Full Version : Flight Test in 10 days, what have I missed

Helisell
21st Aug 2003, 20:25
Sorry if I'm asking in the wrong place but my searches haven't produced much so here goes . . .

I have my PPL (H) flight test in 10 days time, I'm fairly confident but just 'know' that there will be something I have forgotten.

What will catch me out? What "blinders" or "corkers"am I going to be asked about? How should I treat the examiner? Any general advice/tips gratefully accepted.

Herbie

(P.S. Robbie R22 of course!)

Vfrpilotpb
21st Aug 2003, 21:36
Herbie,

Ask the Ft man/woman " What do you weigh" be a little delicate if it's a female, but that way you will be able to show you know how to work out your fuel cap and hence endurance.:ok:

RDRickster
22nd Aug 2003, 00:42
Preparation builds confidence, both ways. Have your CFI get your DFE's weight and the cross-country route before your check ride. Then, you can prepare a weight & balance, and your route with alternates for the DFE to review. If you are more prepared and on the ball, the DFE might be more flexible. IMHO.

The Nr Fairy
22nd Aug 2003, 01:52
RD :

I think our candidate is in the UK. Up till the moment the applicant meets the examiner, he has no idea of the route therefore must plan on the hoof (there's time given to do that).

Hopefully Helisell will be able to complete his mission, should he choose to accept it ! Let us know how it goes - if you're in my neck of the woods I'll buy you a beer if you pass and more if you don't.

RDRickster
22nd Aug 2003, 02:30
Ooops! I keep for getting to look at the posting individual's location.

muffin
22nd Aug 2003, 03:22
I don't think they normally spring trick questions - certainly expect them at the level of "what would you do if both RPM gauges failed simultaneously?" though.

I actually enjoyed mine, especially the EOL which I muffed first time, was shown how to do it right by the examiner, then got it passably right second go. They do not expect perfection, just the confidence that you are safe and competent to go on learning on your own from then on.

Good luck

Grainger
22nd Aug 2003, 16:25
Doesn't work for everyone, but I find the running commentary very helpful. You don't need to go motormouth, but if you're checking the carb heat gauge, say so - if you're doing a HASEL check call 'em out, if you are doing a spot turn, say that you're checking to see the tail rotor is clear, and so on.

This isn't just so the examiner knows you are doing these things (he/she should know anyway), but also helps to focus the mind.

Good luck !

Helisell
22nd Aug 2003, 22:33
I think I am just over compansating. I have, I belive, prepared meticulously for the flight test and just thought I would get your views. Thanks to all who replied, your advice is all absorbed . . . and I'll let you know how I get on.

Herbie

Barannfin
23rd Aug 2003, 04:05
The little advice I can give ya probably recieved before, prepare well, get a good nights sleep. Don't be too nervous, but not too laid back either. Youll do fine buddy.:ok: think of all who have gone before you and passed, leaving you wondering how we managed. :E

by the way what are you guys talkin bout when u say HASEL checks? I have never heard that term before.

The Nr Fairy
23rd Aug 2003, 18:24
HASEL(L) - mnemonic used before PFLs, vortex ring - anything requiring large rates of descent.

H - Height - sufficient for exercise and recovery ?

A - Airframe - more f/w for things like flaps and gear.

S - Security - no loose articles, hatches/harnesses closed/tight

E - Engine - Ts and Ps ok, fuel sufficient, and the like

L - Lookout - clear below ?

Optional last L - Location - more used in f/w spinning, IIRC, to make sure you're not over cloud/sea to ensure a good visual reference

Heli-Ice
30th Aug 2003, 06:08
I think you should treat the examiner just as every other person. Just act normal and do your things the way you are used to.

I'd suggest you have your emergency procedures at the top of your head as always. The fire drill is of upmost importance as you may already know. You should know f.ex. how much fuel is left in the tanks when the fuel low light comes on? What do you do if the clutch light comes on in flight? and things like that... Know your aircraft.

And another thing, eat, sleep and s**t well before your test :} That should help!

VeeAny
30th Aug 2003, 06:28
Nr Fairy

Don't forget

A - Airframe (frictions off)

and L - Lookout below (and behind), how about a 360 climbing turn before any High ROD manouevres.

last L - Location Very important if you wanty to operate out of your local airfield for more than a week. Don't want to auto too close to built up areas.

Cheers

V.

Whirlybird
30th Aug 2003, 18:53
I got what appeared to be trick questions..can't remember details now. Seeing me looking nervous, the examiner explained: "You've obviously thoroughly digested the book, so I don't need to test you any more on that. But I was just wondering if you happened to know about....." It wasn't part of the test; he was imparting useful information. May not happen, but nice to know that it could. Apart from that, I'd agree with making sure you're clear on all emergency procedures; otherwise don't worry - you wouldn't be doing it if you weren't ready for it.

Lots of luck anyway. :ok:

Helisell
31st Aug 2003, 00:20
Most replies were along the lines of "Prepare - prepare - prepare"
well guess what? I DID prepare and . . . . . . . . . .

I breezed through the test. Today at 2:30 the man said I was a helicopter pilot! ! ! ! ! !

I think I had prepared way beyond what was expected and the test proved to be very easy. My advice to anyone else taking their test? PREPARE-PREPARE-PREPARE!

Once again many thanks to all who replied

Herbie

Grainger
1st Sep 2003, 01:02
Yee-haa! Nice one, H. Well done !

Now the learning really begins - remember, stay competent but not over-confident..... and NEVER assume anything !!

Congratulations again, and enjoy your flying !

G