PDA

View Full Version : F3 and the way of the gun

Woff1965
21st Aug 2003, 08:48
I was reading a article about the F4G Wild Weasel (from 1980) in which a pilot was talking about the using the 20mm cannon to attack SAM radars and I thought about the F3's used in the Gulf for SEAD. Could or would a F3 use its 27mm cannon to strafe a target of opportunity.

Do they even have a AG gun mode or would it be a case of just trying to walk the tracer through the target?

Obviously if it is sensitive don't post - I would not want anyone to get a visit from men in Black Omegas.

Ali Barber
21st Aug 2003, 14:50
Yes the F3 has practiced strafe before, but it would not be the weapon of choice for SEAD! By the time you got in that close against a SAM radar, you'll wish you hadn't!!!!!

Man-on-the-fence
21st Aug 2003, 15:33
The F-4G Wild Weasel was based on the airframe of the F-4E but didnt have a gun. It was replaced with electronic gagetry and sensors.

Journolistic Licence perhaps?

noisy
21st Aug 2003, 18:06
It's my understanding that the F3 only has 3 seconds worth of ammunition? Is this true?

L J R
22nd Aug 2003, 01:19

How many seconds do you want??

Nozzles
22nd Aug 2003, 02:06
Most fighters only have about 6 seconds. My shabby maths tells me that gives me 24 1/4 second bursts. If I haven't hit after 24 attempts someone upstairs is telling me it's time to extend to the bar.:{

Woff1965
22nd Aug 2003, 02:20
The article had a interview with the squadron commander of the Weasel squadron and he said that it had been common to fit a gunpod on the centre line pylon but they preferred not to as it reduced fuel load.

Bear in mind the article was written in 1980. It also said they were starting to use Maverick as a preferred choice for non-emmiting targets.

Formski
22nd Aug 2003, 09:26
I've got a book on USAF F4 Phantom History that mentioned the Wild Weasel Squadrons would use flights of both F4Gs and F4Es in the SEAD roles, with the F4Gs locating the defences before calling in the F4Es in as well (and dumping some nasty stuff on it themselves) And the F4Es did have a 20mm gun (650 rounds IIRC)

Marco

noisy
22nd Aug 2003, 19:19
I'll have a big gun that fires lots of bullets.
In fact, I'll take two! :D

tonybliar
23rd Aug 2003, 01:06
You can't jam a bullet!

GuinnessPWS
23rd Aug 2003, 11:05
I beleive Maj. Harry Schmidt (sp?) is an expert in using the gun for SEAD. Seemed to be his first choice if I recall.

BlueWolf
23rd Aug 2003, 11:55
If memory serve correct, the F-4 wasn't originally designed with a gun at all, because missiles were the order of the day. Air-to air combat was all going to be conducted with missiles in "the future", and no-one needed a gun anymore because "we don't fight wars like that anymore."

Wouldn't it be great if we could base our technology requirements on an accurate prediction of what the future holds?;)

GuinnessPWS
23rd Aug 2003, 12:32
BlueWolf, I think your memory is correct. F4E was the first variant with an internal gun, if my memory is correct. I'm sure somebody more knowleadgeable will correct me if I'm wrong:)

Jackonicko
23rd Aug 2003, 18:26
True, though earlier versions had the option of podded guns.

tonybliar
24th Aug 2003, 03:48
The Lightning went through the same cycle - guns in the Mk1A & 2 but abandoned in the Mk 3, then resurrected in the ventral for the F6. Not surprisingly, Euroblighter has gone through the same Committees and the gun has been in and out of favour - not sure now if it is coming with a gun or not but then by the time we get it the bullets will be out of shelf life anyway.

One thing's for sure, the warning shot with the heat-seeking missile might not win any friends in the airline business!

kitwe
24th Aug 2003, 04:13
Seem to remember the US Marines exchange officer at Coningsby in 1971 telling me that the Marines had fitted 5 (yes-five!) podded M61s to F4s in Vietnam - awesome!

Impiger
25th Aug 2003, 21:50
Typhoon is currently gunless following a weight redution exercise. However your point about warning shots has already been noted by 'them' and has added relevance in the post 11 Sep world. Who's got a fiver on a gun in Typhoon by 2010:rolleyes:

Jackonicko
26th Aug 2003, 02:35
Typhoon's gun was removed and then reinstated.

It was never going to be removed from Tranche 1 aircraft (cos of the balance implications) it just wasn't going to be trialled, cleared, supplied or supported.

The Typhoon gun is, however, back in.

dmanton300
26th Aug 2003, 02:41
[quote]F3 and the way of the gun

Seem to remember the US Marines exchange officer at Coningsby in 1971 telling me that the Marines had fitted 5 (yes-five!) podded M61s to F4s in Vietnam - awesome! {/quote]

There is one pic of an ANG F-4C in a five pod set up, but the undercarriage cannot be retracted if you chuck an SUU-23 pod on there. It was strictly an airshow load for the "wow!" factor amongst those who don't know what they're seeing.
In 1966-67 VMFA-122 flew CAS missions "in country" carrying three 20mm Mk-11 HIPEG pods.
HTH.

Tartan Stazi
30th Aug 2003, 16:51
"F3s used in the Gulf for SEAD!!.....Check facts..over"