PDA

View Full Version : I'm coming to the party!

EGPFlyer
21st Aug 2003, 04:28
The powers that be have deemed that they need me to go to Dakar for 3 months in the very near future. I have just gone through the required pin cushion stage (why can't they make it one injection!) so I am pretty much all set. I haven't been told where I'm living yet but it is probably going to be pretty close to the airport (as thats where I'm going to be working). My french is OK but I haven't spoken it a looooooong time so hopefully it will come back otherwise I might starve!!!

Any advice of do's and don'ts will be most welcome!

4HolerPoler
21st Aug 2003, 07:12
The words "wet" and "behind the ears" are ringing in my ears but I wish you good luck. I can only imagine the support that an African Aviator would receive if he enquired about the do's & don'ts of life in Scotland. There's a frightened little creature on another thread who's worried about which country in Africa has snakes!!!!!!!!!

Be gentle guys; show the man a little more compassion than I can scrape together & make him feel at home in GOOY.

4HP

EGPFlyer
21st Aug 2003, 22:38
Well I guess we all have to be 'wet behind the ears' at some point!

BTW, I don't mind snakes ;)

Cave Troll
23rd Aug 2003, 00:05
I love snakes. They're sooooo cute and cuddly.

ct

Gerund
23rd Aug 2003, 00:18
Just don't listen to all those doom mongers.

1. The tap water is tasty and very nutritious.

2. The city centre is very safe, particularly after dark.

3. Your schoolboy French will identify you as a local and you will make lots of new friends very quickly.

4. The machete wielding local dance is an enjoyable spectacle, particularly when running and glancing over your shoulder.

5. Sharing needles if you go to hospital is quite safe - whoever heard of anyone getting Aids from a mosquito.

6. Local women are very friendly, even more friendly than your new friends at 3. above.

I hope this helps.

EGPFlyer
23rd Aug 2003, 13:18
It sounds just like home ;)

Jelly Doughnut
23rd Aug 2003, 16:02
Hey Gerund, the man was asking about Dakar, not Luanda!
:ok:

Goldfish Jack
24th Aug 2003, 10:43
Yup Gerund you have got your facts wrong. He was asking about Dakar not Johannesburg!!

Hey EGP.. just remember Africa is Africa - dont expect every robot to work and the ATMs to be stocked full of money!!!

Good luck and have fun and look after your snake - it will be a popular thing up there!!!

24th Aug 2003, 14:18
Where he's going, there are no robots or ATMs. Just EGPF, his snake and plenty of snake charmers:}

south coast
26th Aug 2003, 18:51
yes, great advice gerund...i agree with you all the way.

and, when they say they love you in the night club, they are being truthful and honest too!

hows things going...?

Gainesy
28th Aug 2003, 23:28
EGPF,
In case you're now totally confused a robot is the term for traffic lights. And at a 4-way stop you must wait for another three cars to come before you can fight for right of way.

EGPFlyer
29th Aug 2003, 02:03
Thanks Gainsey, that was confusing me!

Gerund
29th Aug 2003, 13:17
south coast

Greetings!

All is going well at this end - still alive!

Not back until near Xmas, see you then.

G