PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arann withdraw DUB - BHD Service

mysecretsmile
20th Aug 2003, 20:46
Aer Arann are to withdraw their twice daily service on the DUB - BHD service from the end of this week. The reason being sited as poor loads since the service commenced.

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 21:08
Hi,

What aircraft operated the route?

BAe 146-100

mysecretsmile
20th Aug 2003, 21:15
The DUB-BHD route is/was operated by an ATR42. Although a 50 seater I don't think it was ever managed a full load during its operation. The airline has also been having quite a few technical problems and the flights were often cancelled in order to allow craft to operate routes which had better loads.

Not a great way to convince PAX of the merits of using the service rather than drive or take the train.

jbird11
20th Aug 2003, 21:16
No surprise!

I didnt see it lasting very long, I remember when Jersey European operated it with a Shorts360 about 8 years ago, they also dropped the service after a short while. As did the LDY-DUB, it also ceased operating after a few months. With the new road improvements between Belfast to Dublin you can get there from what I hear anyway in about 1.30/1.45mins.

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 21:23
Hi,

Thanks mysecretsmile, what is Aer Arann's most successful route?

BAe 146-100

ALLMCC
20th Aug 2003, 21:31
Agree not really surprising - Aer Arann did state clearly when the route was announced that good support was essential - seems that this did not materialise - can't help feeling that part of the problem was the flight timings - support of business travellers would have been limited with a 1555 departure from DUB & returning at 1635 - another one bites the dust!

Hopefully the Jet Magic doesn't follow suit.

mysecretsmile
20th Aug 2003, 21:34
BAe-146, Aer Arann run a number of very successful routes and will carry approx. 800,000 passengers this year.

DUB - ORK is a very popular route which Aer Arann operating it 7 times a day (weekdays). Loads should continue well on this route since Aer Lingus announced that they are no longer going to operate between DUB - ORK.

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 21:40
Hi,

How is the MAN-GWY route doing?

BAe 146-100

mysecretsmile
20th Aug 2003, 21:46
MAN-GWY is doing OK !

ALLMCC
20th Aug 2003, 22:17
MY SECRET SMILE

As a matter of interest where did you hear this from? Aer Arann's website still accepting bookings beyond this week & no news threads anywhere.

mysecretsmile
20th Aug 2003, 22:56
ALLMCC - heard it from a contact at an Irish newspaper who had received a press release regarding it.

eastern wiseguy
21st Aug 2003, 05:45
From Aer Aranns' website

"Statement in relation to suspension of Dublin-Belfast service

20th August 2003 Aer Arann today announced that it is to suspend services on the Dublin-Belfast route effective from Monday, August, 25th. While disappointed with the development, the consistently low load factors experienced on the route necessitated the airline's decision to suspend services. Aer Arann will monitor market conditions over the coming months to assess whether a commercially viable service can be reinstated in the
longterm."

'PlaneHappy
21st Aug 2003, 06:26
A predictable, but nevertheless sad, outcome.

I wonder whether the route would be profitable if it was operated by a 19-seat Jetstream 31 and if it was properly scheduled? For instance, it could operate twice daily from Monday to Friday during the morning and the evening, thereby enabling a full business day before returning home (forget other routes which the aircraft would operate to increase utilisation and hopefully profitability). But the price would, of course, have to equal or be lower than that of the nearest alternative. However, if it only takes 1 hour 30 minutes/45 minutes by road to reach Belfast from Dublin or vice-versa, then an air connection will not, once checking in and getting to and from the airports are done, be quicker. Accordingly, and with regret, I guess that the route will never, like MAN-NCL-MAN, be profitable.

BAe 146-100
22nd Aug 2003, 05:11
Hi,

On a positive note! Aer Arann have taken delivery of a 3rd ATR 72 EI-RED (http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/viewphoto.main?LC=&picid=495).

BAe 146-100

airbourne
23rd Aug 2003, 11:38
I dont think that RE put a lot into that route marketing wise etc, radio promotions and all. If there was a a Dublin city airport that didnt take 3 hours to get into and on to an a/c then no problem, but DUB is a nightmare for parking charges, taxes, security (or lack therof) and distances to a/c stands. Full failue all right!

On a seperate note, wheres my other 400 posts gone from my stats??! Whats the story there?

Tom the Tenor
24th Aug 2003, 01:51
Just to reassure any other doubters out there Jetmagic are doing just fine on ORK-BHD.

Corcaigh agus Beal Feirste abu! :8