PDA

View Full Version : Survival Kit

PAXboy
20th Aug 2003, 20:27
When I was caught by the power blackout at JFK last Thursday, I was glad that my standard mini-survival items were up to date. In my hand case I had:

* Bottle of water
* Sandwich
* Mini-Mag lite with spare batteries
* Mobile phone with battery at 80% and spare battery at 100%

However, the one thing that I did not have enough of - was cash. It was the end of the trip and I was running cash down. With the power gone - cash was king! The next day, with power restored, I still could not get all that I needed with plastic. The ATMs were either still off line or did not accept any cards to which I had a PIN. This was the one thing that ended up costing me more money! Had I have had even another $20, it would have made a big difference.

That said, the problem was unprecendented and it would be hard to plan for such an event. But cash was the one thing I did not have.

What survival kit do you carry?

jethrobee
21st Aug 2003, 00:38
I always try to carry some cash, normally around 50 US Dollars, about 50 Euros, and around 30 Pounds.

Great idea about the mag-lite, I've been carrying one of those with me for years but always been laughed at by my work-mates :-)

If only my laptop battery would last longer than about 15 mins, I would be totally self-sufficient..............

PAXboy
21st Aug 2003, 01:19
The Mag Lite has been my companion for many years. Normally for finding the way around unfamiliar hotel rooms at night to reach the bathroom, without turning on the main light so as not to wake up too much.

Many, many people were trying to use the 'light' from the display of the mobile phones to get around. Problem here is that you will flatten the battery for when you need it!

Memetic
21st Aug 2003, 23:34
Well the Maglite(s) have now taken a back seat to a PAL light - it's an LED torch with an always on glow that makes it easy to find.

The pen knife or leatherman has had to go... 'nough said.

Psion organiser - ok not vital but there is urban survival and real survival! But it's got all the info in that I need when traveling, plus email and web and a few games, the odd ebook and even work if I get really bored. Oh and a battery life of about 30 hours on 2 AA cells.

A few Dollars and a few Euro tucked in the back of my wallet.

Visa card.

Mobile phone.

A thick book.

As for getting laughed at, in my experince usually the same people who ask you for the tool, torch, phone number about a week later :D

You want it when?
21st Aug 2003, 23:42
Always travel with small bottle of water, a little torch and $100 USD, £100 sterling and about £50 of local currency. I also keep a credit card in the pack with loads of headroom. Mars bar or Topic (that way I get to eat it once a month as you must replace with a fresh one - eh?). Change of underclothes and one of those snazzy BA business travel / grooming kits.

I never put anything I need in the hold it's all in carry on - I'm amazed at the number of people who say "holiday ruined as they lost my bag" DOH.

PAXboy
22nd Aug 2003, 22:55
'Yes' to most of the above. My Palm Pilot was in good order and I had the book and magazine. My lap top was fully charged, so that gave me nearly six hours of work (or looking for things that were not in the Palm!). AmEx card to the fore and all was well. Just that wretched cash ... :\