PDA

View Full Version : Can't give it away!!!

wessex19
20th Aug 2003, 13:04
Watching ABC mid-day news today, Hugh White, head of the Australian Defence Strategic Institute, said that the ADF had fallen short $200 million for the last 2 years on allocated funds for defence aquisition. In my book, $200 million will get you a few reconditioned ex-RN Sea Kings. Considering the fleets utility helo availabilty is at about 35% of the required level, this could bridge the gap for another 10 years.
If this is not possible, $200 million would keep the boys (and girls) lubricated for a while in the Wardroom and Senior Sailors at Albatross. I'm sure they may even send a carton of Swan Light to the chaps at Richmond as a jesture of good will!!!!
Any Thoughts on how you think the ADF should of spent the $200 million last year???

Winstun
20th Aug 2003, 15:59
:rolleyes: How about giving it back to its owners...the friggin cheated Australian taxpayer!!.... :* Tired of watching millions $$ wasted by a B grade defence outfit on unuseful toys like dated helos and dysfunctional submarines......:ooh: A good reason not to pay tax..;) :p

mention1
20th Aug 2003, 16:19
Not entirely related but close....

The RAAF have released expenditure figures on the BBJ fleet used by upper MP's. Each flight hour was estimated at around $1600 per hour.

:eek:

Are these the budget figure used for all RAAF reports? That much moola would even run a Citation!!:ugh:

Groaner
20th Aug 2003, 16:43
Actually, $1600/hr seems low.

Depends on what's included, I guess, but with such low utilisation I would have expected maybe double...

colt_pa22
22nd Sep 2004, 09:59
According to Defence rumours, the wet operating cost per hour is approx. AUD $ 25000 with the expected expenditure over the 12 operating lease (purchase, lease and operating costs) being around AUD $ 650,000 (three Challengers and 2 BBJ's)

Not bad for a personal taxi service !!

Colt

Cougar
23rd Sep 2004, 00:38
Oh look, Winstun is back. And amazingly so, with nothing intelligent to say. Good one W :ok:

Going Boeing
23rd Sep 2004, 00:58
Winstun

The rest of the world looks at the ADF in awe of what they have achieved in recent years (Timor, Afganistan, Iraq, Solomon Is etc). They are definitely not a "B" grade outfit. Also the Collins class submarine is not dysfunctional - the negative publicity was orchestrated by "surface Navy" types who wanted more Frigates at the expense of the two optional submarines (No's 7 & 8) which are now not being built. There was some issues with the cutting edge technology on the Subs but they have largely been resolved and their performance in recent exercises have left the "experts" impressed.

Capt Fathom
23rd Sep 2004, 00:59
Posted Aug 2003....don't think so Cougar

Surditas
23rd Sep 2004, 12:45
From Wintsun: "Tired of watching millions $$ wasted by a B grade defence outfit on unuseful toys like dated helos and dysfunctional submarines"

I didn't realise we were B grade. Who are the A graders, W?

I don't know too much about the Seasprites, but a mate at P-3's says those Collins boats are actually very hard to find.

And tell me Wintsun, what would you be spending the money on (ie: which useful toys to help bump us up a grade)?

Wessex 19, I like your idea of it going over the bar...