PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft incident originating from BK?

RYAN TCAD
20th Aug 2003, 07:25
I heard from a usually accurate source, that a week or two ago, a Chieftain from a rather large company on the southern side of BK and carrying a very senior member of the NSW Police - had a rather BAD landing out west.

Apparently one of the main undercarrage wheels twisted 90 degrees on landing when one of the main bolts snapped. It was very bumpy indeed.

When told a replacement aircraft would be on its way, apparently this senior figure said don't worry about that, and hightailed it to TW in a hire car and caught a QF-link back to SY!

Now About these bolts - i'm told they don't have a life cycle on them but cost only about 8 bucks each.

Can anyone shed any light or confirmation on this?

Is this fact or fiction?

And does ISO 9002 as a standard, come into this equation?

Bendo
20th Aug 2003, 11:42
This incident was reported in the Sydney Morning Herald on a Saturday about 2 weeks ago.

Allegedly occurred at Coonabarrabran with minister and a number of staff or journos on board; naturally I threw out about 3 months worth of newspaper on Monday so can't add more. Sorry!:yuk:

Disco Stu
20th Aug 2003, 15:02
RYAN TCAD

As I know nothing about your ISO:9002 I checked with the International Organisation for Standardisation to see what I had missed. Damn it, they have missed it also.

Check for yourself at http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/ISOOnline.frontpage

It could therefore be said ISO 9002 had nothing to do with the matters you have written about.

Disco Stu

RYAN TCAD
20th Aug 2003, 15:24
Hi Disco Stu,

that depends on what you mean!

ISO 9002 refers to -

http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=16537&ICS1=3&ICS2=120&ICS3=10

ISO 9002:1994
Quality systems -- Model for quality assurance in production, installation and servicing

I thought the 'servicing' would at least get a look in.

Those bolts still only cost about 8 bucks each!! And if you have your own in-house maintenance, then that's even better in terms of having it carried out - in a cost effective sense.

Particularly when you have an a/c with so many hours on it, and inevitably a few hard landings along the way?

megle2
20th Aug 2003, 18:14
If you were operating under a true "perfect world" ISO 9002 system this old aircraft would be long gone!

In the "real world" I doubt that ISO 9002 would prevent this incident. The extra 10% approx they can charge ( in NSW ) for having it would help a little over time with the repair costs but won't retrieve the Client's trust / goodwill!

Disco Stu
20th Aug 2003, 18:33
RYAN TCAD

I'm not sure whether you are referring to 9002 'servicing' as in a workshop mechanical act or what it (9002)was, a management system.

It is easy for some to confuse Quality Control with Quality Assurance.

I've read and re-read your initial post to try and answer your question, I still do not believe 9002 as a system is relevant here and I think you are thinking it is a QC system which it is not.

With an eye to the future, the organisation mentioned obviously must hold a passenger carrying AOC, in that case they must be compliant with CASR 119 (Safety Management Systems)by Nov 03. There is little difference in the wording of that CASR and
ISO 9001:2000

Having a QA system is a step down the path of toward a decent management system.

Disco Stu
Edited to add>>>PS megle2 has fallen into the same QC vs QA confusion, only more so.

RYAN TCAD
21st Aug 2003, 06:21
Thanks Disco Stu for your input re ISO 9002.

Now the main bit i'd like to find out, is wether or not anyone can confirm this incident? And damage to the aircraft?

megle2
21st Aug 2003, 18:17
Disco - You are correct - 9002 is simply admin

It is an excellent lead in tool to other areas which can operate under its umbrella

Having it puts you miles ahead as long as you make it relate to what you do and remains workable

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
21st Aug 2003, 18:25
another great thread hijack, what and who actually happened ??.

RYAN TCAD
22nd Aug 2003, 06:17
Agree!

What we do know is that the Chieftain was from a rather large charter co. on the southern side of BK airport who i think like to make it known that they have the ISO 9002 tick.

As we have now worked out, having an ISO 9002 tick means didley squat at the end of the day in so far as aircraft maintenance is concerned.

assymetric
31st Aug 2003, 18:01
As I understand these bolts have no hour limit however they do get x-rayed every 1000 hours or so.

apache
31st Aug 2003, 18:49
I would like to know what RYAN's agenda is here. Accidents / incidents happen regularly, unfortunately, in GA. As I have no knowledge of the incident in question I cannot shed any more light on the subject.
If the company that RYAN continually refers to is the one I think it is, then I think that they have an excellent reputation and maintenance department. They are probably one of the better aviation companys operating piston twins.
Whilst this unfortunate accident may have been preventable, so also could most of the recent more disastrous ones also involving chieftains.
At least this company has a PRO-ACTiVE stance on maintenance, including having an OMEL system as opposed to just an MR reporting culture. ISO 9002 has nothing to do with it, least to say that they have held that approval for many years, and are one of the few in Bankstown to do so.

jerrry
1st Sep 2003, 08:22
Whatever you do just don't Fuk my Sheeftain!!!!!!!!!!!

You pilots cost me money!!!!!

OpsNormal
1st Sep 2003, 20:29
Now there is a name from the past.... G'day apache, how are ya these days? Hope all is well and things are going great. Is it really that long since your good self, jerry, OG3, pseudonymn and myself all sat down at what once was the General Bourke and broke the necks of many a fine ale?

Gotta do that again some time soonish! :D

Regards,
Ops. :}

apache
4th Sep 2003, 12:27
it certainly HAS been a while. I am back in town now, and the GB is STILL a fantastic watering hole! ( matter of fact , I was there the other week)

Speaking of blasts from the past, haven't heard from a few for a while. INCLUDING : Hottie, Bendo, Capt R.Sole, F111, GoGirl, Zarg, Thermal Bandit, 429CJ, Razor ... just to name a few.

Need to start a "where are they now" thread, using pseudnym's not actual names.

hen of course there is the fact that I have been without computer for a while, so maybe I just missed y'all ?

stremair
4th Sep 2003, 13:24
Hi apache

Rock on!!

love

Wheely boy.

OpsNormal
4th Sep 2003, 19:39
Heya apache! 'Ole 429CJ is still alive and well, but his login details got kind of lost in the switch to the new software/server change (or whatever it was), last year.

He=Me! I kinda had this nick spare.... :ok:

Have a good one mate, I'll be back in Sydney to make an honest woman (yeah, I get around to all things eventually..... and our big day is in mid November), of that poor girl I was dragging around with me that night back then. :ok:

God help her.... :}

Stremair, much new dude? How is it all going these days?

Regards,
Ops. ;)

Bendo
5th Sep 2003, 05:46
Ahhhh it all falls into place.

Gidday bloke, we'll miss you at Warbirds Over Scone 2003 (http://www.sconewarbirds.org) this year - we'll have a beer in your honour.

Good luck for november :eek:

Apache

I hear rumours that you are burning the right flavoured fuel - well done - a brew for yew tew.

Pseudonymn
5th Sep 2003, 09:32
I'll be back in Sydney to make an honest woman (yeah, I get around to all things eventually..... and our big day is in mid November), of that poor girl I was dragging around with me that night back then. :ok:
God help her.... :}

OpsN, Just because I don't post all that often doesn't mean I don't read the forums... You'll keep ;) :ok:

apache
5th Sep 2003, 15:02
Like cockroaches out of the woodwork!

BENDO .... is that your full time job now ???? managing warbirds over Scone!

that bloody sticker of yours is still on the fridge at Birdsville!

call me sometime.

Ops Normal.... I also have fallen prey to the (alledgedly) fairer sex, and will make an (semi) honest woman of her Next november... gotta give her time to back out!
Stremair gonna be the MC!

So... the rteally BAD part about these engagements, is that we are all following BENDO!!!!! How the hell did that ever happen ?

OpsNormal
5th Sep 2003, 17:21
Dammit, she busted me again!

Apache not you too!?! Bendo let the cat outta the bag in an email one day, and a couple of cohorts (one of them also bears your first name apache... ;) ) from the Hunter Valley have dropped timetofly in it as well! Poor buggah, dunno how anyone could even contemplate heading back down there where it's cold and wet all the time! ;)

It must have been something in the water..... :ooh:

You know, that's not a bad idea to find-out what happened to ppruners you just don't see anymore! :ok:

All the best all!
Ops.