PDA

View Full Version : AirNZ rejects new NZAIP?

Hudson Hawk
20th Aug 2003, 05:10
Have been told that Air NZ has advised it's pilots NOT to purchase the new AIP as they feel it is of a poor standard and have asked or going to ask Airways to defer the introduction of the document until it is up to scratch.

Anyone else hear this? or have any more info??

HH

Bevan666
20th Aug 2003, 06:36
After receiviing mine in the post yesterday I have to agree. I received 4 books, all with 3 sections (GEN, ENR, AD) named exactly the same. I think I need to read the instructions to determine which section in which book has what information. This should be intuitive and not so complicated. (Eg, in the 4 AD sections, two seem to have approach plates (A-L and M-Z) and one seems to have VFR diagrams and approach routes and one seems to have some other airport info. (This is all gathered in the 10 minutes Ive had to look at them)

Here was me thinking the Australian AIP was bad.

Now I know why I love my Australian Jepps...

Bevan..

Eurocap
21st Aug 2003, 17:14
After promising consultation with the Industry it would appear that the author of this new mess decided that the process would take too long and went full steam ahead, lets rush it through, maybe no-one will notice, except the price of course tee hee.

It would be one of the worst examples of a non-user deciding how the user would use this document.

Considering that the author is:

1. Not a pilot
2. Not been actively involved as an active crew-member for a number of years and then not in civil aviation, I am not surprised.

It would appear that this is going to be another one of those unfortunate sagas that is going to cost every user of civil aviation in Godzone.

A sad day indeed.

:{ :{ :{ :confused: :\

Split Flap
22nd Aug 2003, 05:16
Eurocap,

Would have to agree in the fact that it is not very user friendly, for a start it is in a hard folder?!?!? I give that a couple of months on a flight deck floor before it starts falling to bits (and yes the holes are different so you can't put it in the old, soft, strong folder). And as far as I can tell the IFr section is split into 2 parts requiring 2 of these folders? I just crammed mine all into one.

:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

CT7
22nd Aug 2003, 14:51
Given that Air NZ uses Jepp charts, I think it may have been ALPA that suggested that.

GAMAN
23rd Aug 2003, 10:39
CT7 Air NZ national might use Jepps but Air NZ link crew have to supply their own documents (allowances given of course). These would most likely be NZ AIP manuals.

What a complete shambles these are.....

Reduce the size of the IFG? okay then lets give them two folders instead of one!

Make them Cheaper? Make everyone have to buy the new manuals and amendment service. No IFG pages can be carried over from the old IFG. Need to buy a new folder every year as the new ones are crap.

Put the documents on the net for everyone to download free? Mmmm maybe later.

nike
25th Aug 2003, 05:27
If the main operators are not purchasing these documents, and through this stand off it is decided that the new product is indeed deficient, do you think Airways Publishing Ltd. will reimburse those individuals (and there are a fair few out there) who have already purchased the docs?

History would suggest no.

Eurocap
25th Aug 2003, 05:49
My suggestion to you all, if you are stuck with these new AIPs, is to decide what information you need when you are flying, eg, all approach, landing and airfield charts, and any other pertinent information, and put all of that into one folder.

I believe you can obtain 3 ring inserts for your old IFG folders, but I'm not sure from where, and if you can, use the old folder for all the information you need while flying.

Anything is possible.

Its a pity that the AIP was'nt designed this way in the first place.
;)

nz_phoenix
29th Aug 2003, 18:10
I just started studying for my Diploma in Aviation a few weeks ago.

I ordered the new VFG (or as they now call it, the NZAIP Vol 4) and the Planning Manual (NZAIP Vol 1).

I had been through some law so I knew that I would have to be carrying my nice new VFG every time I went flying, including when I start doing aerobatics.

I can just imagine my nice new NZAIP Vol 4, with it brilliant piece of :mad: new hard cover, flying around the little Airtourer I fly and coming in and WHAM, into the back of my damn head.

Its just pathetic what they have done to it when compared with the older one (which my Instructor has been using). I cant even slide it down beside be because its so damn huge.

I wont even start on how confusing it is, when the index has every bit of the Gen, Enr and AD listed but we only get certain ones in certain Vols (thats enough to confuse a nice new pilot, trying to find his comms section for exams lol)

the maori mobster
31st Aug 2003, 07:04
Quite easy to get around this bros......

just photocopy someone elses and get the old justice of the peace to sign it..........

there you go..........

might suggest this to air new zealand........ then only 1 copy would ever have to be bought.......

i'm da MAN...........

splatgothebugs
1st Sep 2003, 14:48
Well Airways have indeed stuffed this one up, and believe it or not it is not the same guy who put out those state of the art VFR maps.

Would be interested to her from anybody who has got some ideas on what may happen with the new IFG ect.

I'm still sitting on my $300 till I hear what is going on. BUT TIME IS RUNNING OUT, tey are required in the next week or so for operational guys and girls :ok:

BattleSTARGalatica
2nd Sep 2003, 05:06
I it aint broke why change it?
I'm not going to buy one. Cant afford one on my wage. Dont want to afford one when I am having trouble feeding the young one. Have to prioritise. old one will do until I can borrow one from someone else or they are on the net