PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Reds

WorkingHard
20th Aug 2003, 04:08
Today the Red Arrows had an exstensive transit down to Exeter and did so at 1000ft and received a FIS from London for at least part of the way. Why? Why not transit at a much higher altitude and get a full radar service from military and/or civilian stations? I am just intrigued as to the reasons.
Thanks in anticipation

Flt Lt Spry
20th Aug 2003, 04:45
Erm, is it because they are a display team and like people to see them?

Hilico
20th Aug 2003, 04:51
1000ft is positively stratospheric compared with the height they used to fly over the water tower at Harwich. Absolutely thrilling. Even nine jets together at 300ft-ish wasn't a noise nuisance, because Hawks are so quiet (glad (only for this reason!) that the RAF doesn't have that four-ship Lightning group still going).

They'd have been on their way to continental shows, of course, and the tower (just at the end of my road) was a useful landmark for them - just as it was for the Germans over sixty years ago.

S76Heavy
20th Aug 2003, 05:00
Their website actually mentions that they try and fly low enough to be visible to everyone while in transit. Why not enjoy your tax money at work?:)

BEagle
20th Aug 2003, 05:21
1000 ft is surely a very well chosen height. Above the low-levellers and below the civilian trash in their Golf-Alpha-Good-Mornings.... (like me these days!).

Some Red mate will normally give the 'heads up' to local aerodromes as they pass - thoroughly professional as always. It would be nice if others were as considerate.

(Although I still think that they looked better on the Gnat!)