PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Baggage and claiming for it

SLF 999
19th Aug 2003, 18:38
I have flown to spain twice in the last month and each time had a case damaged in transit to my destination, are Spanish bagage handlers really that uncaring about throwing luggage about or is it the UK ones?

My second point here is claiming for damaged luggage - First time flew with KLM, claimed for damaged case, they couldnt have been more helpful, within a week new case was delivered to my home, great service.

This time flew First Choice holidays using Air2000 to Reus airport, 2 cases ripped !, filled in the form at airport, came home and called First Choice on what they would do with my claim.

The initial response was claim your holiday insurance, sorry I said , no chance of that happening, it was your or your agents fault you fix it, eventually they gave me the number of the handling agents number in Manchester airport (Menzies ?), again the handling agents couldnt have helped more, bring the cases to us with the damage form and we will replace them, oh you stay in Scotland, well your nearest airport is Glasgow, just go there. So sorted out no problem !

What should be pointed out is that if your baggage is damaged, and nowadays cases are not cheap, make sure that you report it as soon as you notice it at the airport, also DO NOT claim off your travel insurance, why should you , its not your fault, most airlines or their agents will replace the baggage without quible as long as you have the correct documents.

Boss Raptor
22nd Aug 2003, 16:04
In my experience...claim on the spot...at the airline/representative desk in the baggage hall...many airlines will actually just give you another suitcase there and then and usually one of good quality!

If you try to make a retrospective claim at a distance it takes for ever and you get nowhere...if you do it at the airport at the time there can be no question of the damage as the agent can physically see it. and they cant argue...

Travel insurance...as above...you're better making an immediate claim to the airline...

I cannot say for charter carriers but certainly on my few experiences with 2 major UK carriers, BA and Virgin, the claim has been upheld 'on the spot' and a new case handed over there and then 'what type and colour would you like sir?'

DistantRumble
22nd Aug 2003, 22:35
Ditto - damaged cases happens a lot; you should always inspect your bags on receipt off the belt