View Full Version : P1S does not count as P1 for CPL ISSUE

clearfortheoption
19th Aug 2003, 18:15
Hi guys I have got a letter from the CAA stating that I need more P1 time for my CPL issue as my P1S time does not count towards the 100hours P1 time required for the issue.

I have always been under the impression that it would count towards P1 as it is P1 under supervision!!!!

Any ideas apart the one that I have to go flying again!!??

M.A.

Fogbound
19th Aug 2003, 18:43
Were you a modualr or integrated student?

I was Integrated and had a CPL issued with SPiC time included, however when starting my FI(R) course I had to do another 50 hours P1 time as SPiC did not count towards the 100 hour P1 requirement?

Let us know how this resolves?

Good Luck

Evo
19th Aug 2003, 18:59
I've always believed that the CAA treated P1s as Pu/t when counting up hours for licence issue - this would appear to confirm that.

Out of interest, what sort of flying did you log as P1s? How many hours?

RodgerF
19th Aug 2003, 19:39
P.1/S only counts as P.1 during a successful skill test or LPC for the grant, revalidation or renewal of a licence or aircraft rating.

Token Bird
19th Aug 2003, 19:39
I'm sure I had some when I got mine issued, although not too many. I think there is a limit but you should be allowed a few. Check again with the CAA,

TB

clearfortheoption
19th Aug 2003, 19:47
Fogbound

I did modular training logged check rides and skill tasts(passes) as P1s .

RodgerF

The CAA told me today that for CPL issue when you pass a skill test you should log p1s and it DOES NOT count as P1 time for licence issue!!

Looks like i'll have to go flying again

Cheers,

M.A.

Evo
19th Aug 2003, 19:53
I did modular training logged check rides and skill tasts(passes) as P1s .

Check rides are Pu/t (and I agree it's daft) - you can only log P1s for a successful flight test with an examiner.

FlyingForFun
19th Aug 2003, 19:56
Looks like i'll have to go flying againI can think of worse things to happen to someone than having to go flying!!!

FFF
----------

RodgerF
19th Aug 2003, 20:12
clearfortheoption

I think that if you passed the CPL Skill test it falls under case J in 'recording of flight time'. If the examiner certified it is PIC.

However as the authority say, it does not necessarily count as P.1 for licence issue. This is analogous to the PPL case where 10 hours PIC is required, but cannot include the P.1/S logged on the Skill test.

clearfortheoption
19th Aug 2003, 22:35
FFF,

I know there's worse than having to go flying! however having just done all the training for CPL/MULTI/IR and having passed everything the last thing you want is having to spend more money .

I am not complaining of having to go flying

M.A.

Capt BK
20th Aug 2003, 03:38
Oh S##t

I went to do some hour building in the US last year and was caught in between the FAA bringing in the 60 day security check and my hols. Was going to cancel the whole thing but was assured by the FTO (considered reputable on these forums) that I could fly P1/S so I wen't ahead:(

It appears that 2 weeks and several thousand pounds have been poured down the drain. Consider this my first real battering by an FTO and boy do I feel stupid:{

Going to have to work out my finances when I get back to find where i'm going to get a load more hours from before I do my CPL/ME/IR in six months or so.

Gutted:(

Leigh Collins
27th Aug 2003, 04:44
The only PIC U/S time that can be credited towards the flight experience required for the issue of a CPL(A) is that carried out in the course of a succesful test with a JAA or CAA Authorised Examiner. LASORS page 40 (item J) refers.

machonepointone
28th Aug 2003, 00:32
Clearfortheoption.

Perhaps the reason the CAA did not allow you to count P1S towards your P1 total is due to the wording in JAR-FCL. While not exactly small print, what it says for all courses is that the flying hours quoted are training for the appropriate test. In other words, where JAR-FCL states a minimum amount of P1 time, these hours have to be completed on the course prior to the test itself. Without knowing your precise circumstances I cannot state categorically that this is the case, but it would make a certain amount of sense.

Hufty
28th Aug 2003, 22:52
Clearfortheoption,

Out of interest, when the CAA wrote to you, did they mention anything about you losing the 5 hour credit you get given for the IR as a CPL holder? I guess if you'd done the 50 hour course, they might get funny about it if you technically weren't eligible to have the CPL issued???