PDA

View Full Version : Australian airlines recruitment

MIAMIA
19th Aug 2003, 07:08
Does anyone know when Australian Airlines will next be advertising for recruitment? Someone told me they are currently training people off waiting lists. Any ideas?
Cheers

SinSling
19th Aug 2003, 15:46
Currently all Cabin Crew have been given the opportunity to "pass on" an application form to people they know and think are good material for the job.

Having recently looked at the AO home page it does not show applications are open at present, although I know they are looking to recruit mid September.

You are right, we have just welcomed another group on Sunday to commence training and will welcome another this coming Sunday.

Business is great and we are short crew and aircraft. All is looking good for AO, so if you know anyone currently employed, pull out the favours bag and ask for one! Failing that, take it upon yourself to get in touch with AO and get hold of an application form. Keep your eye on the website too.

Interviews will only be held in CNS too by the way, so be prepared for a bit of travel to apply.

All the best!

:O

superK
19th Aug 2003, 17:13
Just curious, are positions with Australian Airlines limited to those with second language abilities? I know it states this is prefered, but the vacancies I've seen advertised to date seem to be exclusively for those with such skills.

mid assist
19th Aug 2003, 18:25
MiaMia

keep an eye on the website, The airline will most probably recruit early next year, maybe late this year.

Australian Airlines looks for people who are culturally aware, though a second language is an advantage. Remember this is for Cairns base only. There is no southern base.

Australian Airlines is here to stay. For those currently living inter-state it's worth the risk.

SinSling
19th Aug 2003, 21:12
Although AO have at times recruited solely language speakers, it is my understanding this next recruitment will be a general one and our brief asks us "if we know of anyone who will fit in with us and is as good at customer service as we are." It also states that "a second language is an advantage but not a pre-requesite but the applicant must meet the minimum critera" this you can find on the website.

All the best!

:O

Ranjha
16th Sep 2003, 22:55
Hi AO fellows

I just sended my application form 2 weeks ago.
Are they looking for 2 language skills these days. I know they expanding the airline to mumbai in feb 04, I can speak hindi,punjabi good but can write does it matter?

any tips in the interview..
my email address is [email protected]

;)

mid assist
17th Sep 2003, 19:23
hmmmmmmmmm slow and steady on the expansion idea for us i think. The airline is consolidating its network for the next 6 months. Yeah BOM has been a rumour for sometime now, Ranjah my tip for you is.... do your homework, find out all you can about AO. If you live in another state, fly up to Cairns on AO.

OZcabincrew
18th Sep 2003, 00:28
I'm guessing this is a big NO! but considering AO is owned by QF, why can't they use QF shortlisters? surely the recruitment process isn't that different & they would be wanting the same qualities/skills in an applicant (correct me if i'm wrong). it just makes sense to me, but then it would cos i'm on the QF shortlist! Rather than interview more people etc, why not use the QF shortlisters, some who have been waiting well over a year or close to it?

SydGirl
18th Sep 2003, 06:39
OZcabincrew they don't take QF shortlisters because although AO is a wholly owned subsidiary they are operated as an entirely separate company. They have their own staff, their own management and their own crew.

People that are on the QF shortlist are applying for QF, not for AO. If you want to apply to AO then you need to go through the proper channels and go through their own recruitment process.

It is exactly the same for all of QF subsidaries eg. Airconnex, Eastern, Sunstate, Australian etc. all are run entirely independantly of QF recruitment and if you want to fly for them you need to apply to them directly.

Hope that helps you!
SG
:D

Ranjha
18th Sep 2003, 10:40
To Mid Assist,,
Hey I was going to ask ya something about AO, whats your email adderss, its to long to type it in here in these confussing boxes..

Cheers
:} :suspect:

gargirl
19th Sep 2003, 15:10
F.Y.I. if interested,

I was on the AO waitlist for eight months passing all interviews, medicals, checks etc.
When schools were being put together I was dumped like a sack of potatoes with no explanation, although I hear they are still desperate for starters. Figure that one out for me please!!!!!!

Ranjha
19th Sep 2003, 20:04
So you were on the list for 8 months, and after that they didn;t take you in hey,, thats sad:* ...
Give me the full story what happend, well i got a interview comiing up in november.. i am happy
my email address [email protected] so we can talk about it more AO DUDES.........
CHEERS
:=

vdd
20th Sep 2003, 10:17
Hi there

Is there any more news on the 2nd base for AO?

There was rumours ages ago that it would be Syd or Mlb - anything more concrete?

Cheers
vdd:)

gargirl
20th Sep 2003, 19:03
Ranjha, I wish you all the very best of luck with your interview.
Given my circumstances, I may not be the best person to offer you advise but I would encourage you to learn as much about the airline and how to care best for their customers as possible. Think about how you would be an asset to the company.
I may not ever know why I was given the flick, I have previous experience and am about as dedicated as you can get, but I guess they had they're reasons.

Once again best of luck.

AOskippy
21st Sep 2003, 18:31
Vdd,

There is no positive answer towards AO's 2nd base. At the moment, management has never confirmed anything. From what I can see, it all came from crew who are from SYD or MEL and want to return home so badly, they hypothesised all sorts of scenarios then turn their dream into unaccountable rumour. You honestly can't build a career upon such a rumour.

Not to disencourage you, even if there is going to be a southern base in either(or other) city, you can imaging how long the base-transfer waiting list from current crew is going to be.

vdd
21st Sep 2003, 18:50
Thanks for that AOskippy.

I was just wondering if anything more had been said on the 2nd base issue as I hadn't heard anthing about it for ages.

The second base isn't something I would take into account if I got the opportunity to work for AO, especially as there isn't one (just yet) and yes....the loooong transfer list back to the South.:eek:

Thanks for the insight.

Kind regards
vdd;)

missleadfoot
30th Sep 2003, 16:12
It still amazes me after all the posts I have written people still ask the same questions.

A southern base is nothing more than speculation. As someone said it is something that they wish but nothing has been said by management. As far as those people being relocated to the southern base, hello, you were recruited for Cairns, to cater for the pax we have coming into and out of Cairns. Many of you are second language speakers and you are needed here, in Cairns, operating the flights we currently fly to. If and when there is a southern base they will recruit the crew accordingly. If AO is flying to South East Asia, why relocate Japanese speakers to Sydney??

Ranjha
30th Sep 2003, 16:56
I agree with you what you said.
And I think AO should keep just one base in Cairns, thats only the international airline that flys to all asia countries.
If they get a base in Sydeny it wont be that poppluar like Cairns Base. Imagine all the airlines in Syd go out daily and come in to Asia and from Asia heapsssss. :eek:

vdd
30th Sep 2003, 18:27
I kinda like the idea of living in sunny Cairns! Beats cold Adelaide any day!:} ;)

Cheers
VDD

Flying_Sarah747
30th Sep 2003, 23:59
Could anybody tell me what the interview process is like at AO? Is it anything like with QF where there's quite a few stages that are done over a few weeks, or is it more like EK, where the whole process is done in a day?

For my sake I hope it's more like EK, cause I don't think I could afford to keep flying back and forth to Cairns from Perth, but I REALLY want to give it a go when they start recruiting again.

THANKS! :)

Ranjha
3rd Oct 2003, 09:58
thats it vvd, you got it cairns rulz, its getting hot now to hot. whats its nice area to live here weather always keep changing thats good..
:ok:

vdd
14th Oct 2003, 19:22
Employment
Australian Airlines will shortly be seeking Flight Attendant Expression of Interest applications for possible future vacancies. All future positions will be based in Cairns.

The selection process will be held in Cairns only. Applicants who have previously forwarded and completed the Flight Attendant Expression of Interest form do not need to reapply.

All positions for this operation will be based in Cairns.

To determine if you meet the minimum essential requirements for future Flight Attendant positions, you will need to meet the following criteria:

Proven customer service experience in a multicultural environment.
Teamspririted.
Current Senior First Aid Certificate with 12 months validity at time of application.
Responsible Service Of Alcohol 'Statement of Attainment' current at time of application.
Passport that allows unrestricted entry to all Australian Airlines ports with a minimum of 2 years validity at time of application.
To meet our safety requirements:
Height (without shoes on) within the range of 163cm and 183cms;
Physically fit with the ability to swim 50 meters fully clothed and lift an aircraft door weighing 28kgs.

Minimum age of 18 years.
Permanent Resident of Australia.
Eligible to hold an Australian Aviation Security Card.
Excellent presentation.
Preference will be given to applicants who hold an advanced level of fluency (minimum 4) in one of the following languages - Japanese, Mandarin or Cantonese.

When recruitment opportunities arise, applicants will be required to provide proof of and an ability to meet the minimum essential requirements. As our operation develops, changes as they occur, will be advised via this website.

Australian Airlines is a wholly owned, independent subsidiary of Qantas Airways, however separate conditions of employment will apply. Employment with Qantas Airways or other subsidiaries will not be possible, without first resigning from Australian Airlines.

Updated: October 2003

sofresh
14th Oct 2003, 22:25
is there anyone here flying up to cairns from melbourne for the open day?
just checked the prizes for the airlines ticket and it's not that cheap..... especially if you are going back and forth. i wish it's going to be like EK , just a one off process.
pls send me an email
[email protected]
if you have any tips about the recruitment , cheap flights, accommodations , etc.
thanks in advance for any tips!

mid assist
15th Oct 2003, 18:33
Sofresh..... Despite what has been said on this thread and what you've herd, Australian has changed it's recruitment style.What they are looking for hasn't changed.

My tip to anyone who gets an interview is to fly on Australian up to Cairns.... Get the feel and vibe of it all, it could assist in the interview process.

Remember Australian is a low cost airline, not a no-frills one... It has 30% lower overheads than it's parent airline. Know its destinations, know what its market focus is, capacity of aircraft, fleet size etc etc.

Goodluck to all who apply (it's worth it)

missleadfoot
15th Oct 2003, 20:00
Australian is a great comapany to work for and good luck to all.

The recruitment process may change from time to time but they want "real" people, good people who can relate to our pax in a comfortable way, (and you dont have to model underwear).
My opinion of most of our crew are people who go to work and have a good time with our pax. Yes we work hard but with the team we get it done. We provide an Australian service that is unique to our culture, it's relaxed but also understanding to our Asian passengers. We provide a "g'day mate" to the Australians on Bali flights but also provide traditional greeting to our Japanese passengers. We have unique crew who can adapt to any situation. We have language courses offered to us from the company and through the experience of other crew members we earn a great deal of cultural awareness.

Put your application in, you will love it at Australian!!

OZcabincrew
15th Oct 2003, 23:14
If you don't speak an Asian language fluently, but know the basics, do they still consider you? I spent 6 weeks with a Japanese family which was great and learnt a great deal about their culture and everday life, as well as going to places like Bali and Singapore? Maybe a silly question, but is this something they'd be looking for and do they see it as an advantage?

your help would be great!
thanks!

Ranjha
16th Oct 2003, 19:55
Hey, Longest you gota proof you can speak basic.
I told them that I can speak level 6 hind on the applicatoin from and they still put me down an a non -language skills.
I didn;t have a certificate but still dong.
Longest you got something to proof ya will be alright.
proof proof:oh:

sofresh
16th Oct 2003, 20:09
how can i get the flight attendant expression of interest form ?
shall i send them a letter together with my resume and request for the form ?

Ranjha
16th Oct 2003, 20:27
Whats the point of sending a letter, all they going to say is just download it from the internet when our lines are open.
So no point just wait 1 or 2 weeks, the form will be on the net for download able. dont get to excited:zzz:

mid assist
17th Oct 2003, 09:29
Yes that is right, all details on how to apply will be available on the companys' website shortly.
Missleadfoot i couldn't have said it better, Your attitude is the reason why we are making a difference in the airline industry.

blondebomb747
17th Oct 2003, 12:25
Employment

Australian Airlines is now seeking Expression of Interest Applications for possible future vacancies for the position of Flight Attendant based in Cairns.

The selection process will be held in Cairns.

All positions for this operation will be based in Cairns.

The following criteria applies for future Flight Attendant positions:

Proven customer service experience in a multicultural environment.
Teamspririted.
Current Senior First Aid Certificate with 12 months validity at time of application.
Responsible Service Of Alcohol 'Statement of Attainment' current at time of application.
Passport that allows unrestricted entry to all Australian Airlines ports with a minimum of 2 years validity at time of application.
To meet our safety requirements:
Height (without shoes on) within the range of 163cm and 183cms;
Physically fit with the ability to swim 50 meters fully clothed and lift an aircraft door weighing 28kgs.

Minimum age of 18 years.
Permanent Resident of Australia.
Eligible to hold an Australian Aviation Security Card.
Excellent presentation.
It would be advantageous if you can demonstrate an advanced level of fluency (minimum 4) in one of the following languages - Japanese, Mandarin or Cantonese. The University of NSW Institute of Languages conducts a formal assessment of the above languages. Please see their website: www.lang.unsw.edu.au/languages/qantas/index.htm to register for this assessment. The Institute has assessors in most major cities and will advise you of the nearest assessor.

Applications are open until Thursday 30th October 2003 - you must register by mail. You will need to complete the four page Expression of Interest Application form and send, with copies of all required documents (in bold above), and a passport photograph to:

Australian Airlines Cabin Crew Recruitment
PO Box 1030
Mascot NSW. 1460

During the selection process, applicants will need to demonstrate their ability to perform the Flight Attendant role to our standards, with a passion for and an understanding of Asian cultures, as well as outstanding customer service delivery skills, communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team.

If required, applicants will arrange their own travel to attend the selection process in Cairns. Successful applicants will need to relocate to Cairns at their own expense.

Please note that our criteria may vary as our operation develops. Changes as they occur, will be advised via this website.

Australian Airlines is a wholly owned, independent subsidiary of Qantas Airways, however separate conditions of employment will apply. Employment with Qantas Airways or other subsidiaries will not be possible, without first resigning from Australian Airlines.

Updated: October 2003 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

missleadfoot
18th Oct 2003, 16:54
Ranjah,

Probably the reason you were not considered a "language speaker" is because although you may be profficiant in Hindi it's currently not a language required by Australian Airlines. If they do start flying to India then it may well become a recognised language. As the web site says they are looking for Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin. They are the 3 foreign languages officially recognised at the moment. There are crew that speak all sorts of languages but although they may be useful the 3 I mentioned are the main ones required for the routes they fly at the moment.
Also, to pass as a language speaker you must have the required documents as the web site states. Good luck.