PDA

View Full Version : Blenheim wheels-up landing at Duxford

DamienB
19th Aug 2003, 05:33
Heard on the local news that the Blenheim has had a wheels-up landing at Duxford tonight - crew OK and another source said damage was 'minimal' so let's hope that's correct.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3162075.stm

EGGW
19th Aug 2003, 07:43
Saw it flying over my house in Hertfordshire about 7pm, sad if its had a prang. The aircraft can be repaired, as long as the crew are OK.

EGGW.

TC_LTN
19th Aug 2003, 18:10
I worked John Webb in the Blenheim through the Luton Zone on his way home last night. He kindly performed a fly-by along the Luton's runway which was much appreciated by the Tower. Very sad to think that the flight ended in disaster a few minutes later but very relieved to hear nobody was hurt. Considering the the dedication and professionalism that have been shown by Graham Warner and John Romain in their endeavours in keeping an example of this historic and important type in the air, one can only say they have been exceptionally unlucky in what has happened to TWO impeccable restorations.

ozplane
19th Aug 2003, 21:30
The pictures on BBC Look East this lunchtime showed the starboard engine partly off it's bearers and quite a lot of damage to the wing structure. I'm sure the team that look after her so well will get her back in the air as soon as it's humanly possible.

alexis_lambert
20th Aug 2003, 06:01
There's also alot of buckling fore and aft of the right wing. Broken back?

Bus429
20th Aug 2003, 12:37
I remember the feeling of utter despair we experienced when we first saw G-MKIV at Denham on that terrible Sunday in June 1987. Those involved then were slightly injured.
Fortunately, this latest accident seems to have injured nobody. I am certain that if it can be fixed, those at ARC will fix it.

proplover
21st Aug 2003, 20:00
The Bleheim is severly damaged - possibly close to a write off:(
I believe the aircraft clipped the earth bank that separates the airfield and the M11 with its wheels and then crashed to the ground, luckily not flipping over. The crew by all accounts were lucky to be able to get out and away.
Couldn't have happend at a worse time for Duxford.:(

Nopax,thanx
21st Aug 2003, 20:17
Clipped the bank? I'll have a look on my way home, but if she'd done that the wooden fence would have gone with it, and I haven't noticed any bits out of the fence.

She's up by the front of the Spitfire hangar being dismantled at the moment.....definitely buckled skin fwd and aft of the wings, but if anyone can put humpty together again, it's the ARCO team - good luck guys.

DragonRapide
21st Aug 2003, 22:14
Had a look at the Blenheim yesterday morning - very sad to see her like that, but not as bad as after Denham..... According to the guys that know, she is fixable; the port wing and engine look OK but the starboard engine is forced down and back, and the wing has damage in a few places. There are a couple of chomps out of the leading edge which look like fence-posts...rear fuselage creased but sortable. Just glad the two crew got out OK - says a lot for the strength of the design, the deceleration must have been pretty fierce.

We'll have to wait for the insurers to speak. I hope I speak for thousands in offering my sympathies to Graham Warner and all at ARC, my gratitude and respect for all that they have achieved with the Blenheim(s) and my hope that the aircraft will arise again soon.

Nopax,thanx
22nd Aug 2003, 20:15
Well, I had a gander at the bank last night and this morning - the fence is actually below the top of the earth bank, but there's no sign of any impact.....I'm sure we will hear the full details in due course.

alexis_lambert
22nd Aug 2003, 23:55
Just got back from DX. The Blenheim was being transferred to Hanger 3, i don't think the damage looks that bad. If there is to be a hold up, then i would say it's money. Judging by ARCO's previous record for getting things going again, if the moneys there i wouldn't be surprised if they haven't got it flying within 18 months.

hjc
25th Aug 2003, 15:51
For those who haven't seen them yet, there are now some photos of the Blenheim back in the hangar here:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mclaydon/newsmain.htm