PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair sells on-board insurance

charterguy
19th Aug 2003, 02:24
From irishnews.com

Ryanair has become the first airline to sell its own travel insurance on board its flights.

The service will initially only be available on flights from Ireland and Britain.

From today, on-board insurance is being offered at £15 (€21.35) for 31 days coverage within Europe.

Ryanair.com's commercial director Conal Henry said : "Travel insurance is not a luxury - it's an essential, and now we are making it even easier for passengers to get covered."

I don't see the point in buying travel insurance 'on board'. What if the flight doesn't make it to its destination? How would your relatives know that you had purchased a policy, and how would they be able to make a claim ? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Personally I would buy these on the ground and inform relatives of the policy number, just in case.

CG

747FOCAL
19th Aug 2003, 02:59
Maybe an email to let them know? :ok:

TimS
19th Aug 2003, 03:03
That'll be another £10 Mr Focal !!

stormin norman
19th Aug 2003, 04:54
If the claims department has as many staff as the customer
service department (6) a claim for lost baggage,late flight,
no wheelchair, will be a very hard to progress.

They'll be charging you to go for a p..s next.

MarkD
19th Aug 2003, 18:05
stormin

MOLs probably ordering the coinlocks for the lavs already! Don't give him any more ideas!

Capt Homesick
19th Aug 2003, 18:35
Hmmmm..... buying travel insurance from a company which denies it is ever wrong about anything...... hmmmmmm.....

PAXboy
19th Aug 2003, 19:37
Is this insurance that gets you fairly close to a full settlement? Should you want the insurance that gets directly to the centre of the situation, you will be able to buy a simple top-up policy on the bus that MoL owns, taking you to the centre of the Policy, from the 2nd Tier Policy that you bought on the flight. :}

newswatcher
19th Aug 2003, 19:45
If buying "last minute" insurance for a "solo" trip, make sure you tell your partner first! Once, took out insurance at airport for a two week trip away. Partner received policy document in post whilst I was away, and thought I had snuffed it!

come to think of it, now I know why she was so disappointed when I returned!

The Nr Fairy
19th Aug 2003, 20:37
For a moment, news, I thought you were going to say she didn't know you were going on holiday !

EastMids
19th Aug 2003, 23:28
So, Ryanair shaft you by cancelling the last flight of the day, thereby leaving you to find your own accomodation etc... The next day, whilst they're finally flying you where you want to go (or somewhere within 100km of it), they offer to sell you insurance to cover the problems they caused you the previous day...! :ok:

I think not! :\

Andy

XSBaggage
20th Aug 2003, 01:15
It is, of course, not Ryanair who provide the policy, therefore no worries along the lines of the "company who denies they are ever wrong" argument. They merely act as a sales agent for the insurance provider, whos name I have forgotten.

BAe 146-100
20th Aug 2003, 01:22
Hi,

Will this insurance be offered on short flights like MAN-DUB?

BAe 146-100 :)