PDA

View Full Version : Qantas jet hits bird on take-off

Wirraway
18th Aug 2003, 01:00
ABC News Online
Sunday, August 17, 2003. 8:06pm (AEST)

Qantas jet hits bird on take-off

In far north Queensland, a Qantas passenger jet carrying 126 people has been forced to return to Cairns airport tonight, after striking a bird on take-off.

Qantas says the pilot of a Boeing 737- 800 immediately shut down the left wing engine and turned back to Cairns airport.

The passenger jet landed safely and is now being inspected by engineers for damage.

Cairns resident Scott Davis witnessed the incident.

"As it was climbing up out over the buildings we just heard a great big thumping noise, there was about four or five great thumps and with each thump there was a bright orange flash from the motor and it just sort of fell away from the plane each time."

========================================

SkySista
18th Aug 2003, 11:54
"...it just sort of fell away from the plane each time."

What did? The engine??? :rolleyes:

These people really do need to be a bit clearer about what they are saying...

SS

compressor stall
18th Aug 2003, 13:27
"Restrain yourself CS, restrain yourself"

:}

Torres
18th Aug 2003, 14:42
"...it just sort of fell away from the plane each time."

Kentucky Fried Seagull? :}

MIss Behaviour
18th Aug 2003, 14:56
Correct me if I'm wrong but in the testing on the B777 they tossed whole frozen chooks into an engine a max pwr & it didn't bat an eyelid figuratively speaking.

Can't remember if it was a GE or Trent one. :eek:

CS
If there is a village deprived of an idiot rest assured the papers, whether they be the Pig Breeder's Gazette or the Cairns Post,
will locate the said idiot & quote them verbatim on what happened. What's worse is the public seem to believe everything they read in the papers & see on the 'news'. :zzz:

Soulman
18th Aug 2003, 15:29
Looks like another mass suicide...

"As it was climbing up out over the buildings we just heard a great big thumping noise, there was about four or five great thumps and with each thump there was a bright orange flash from the motor and it just sort of fell away from the plane each time."

One in... All in. :p

Cheers,

Souls.

Just out of curiosity - what may happen if.... Let's say a pelican were to get 'up close and personal' with a jet engine?

woftam
18th Aug 2003, 19:59
Pelican VS Jet...........?
There would be no clear winner.

:ooh:

Pimp Daddy
18th Aug 2003, 20:39
Pelican VS Jet...........?

Pretty sure there was a Pelican v A-4 in NZ a number of years ago (may have been another large seabird - Alabatross?) anyhoo - A-4 lost, just made it home to Whenuapai where they pulled it apart and sent it to Woodbourne for repair.

Cougar
19th Aug 2003, 07:11
There was an F111 vs pelican incident in 80's (??). Pelican(s) 1, F111, 0. Very unfortunate accident, but shows the effect of a very large bird on jet engines. Sucked them into both, flamed out.

woftam
19th Aug 2003, 07:17
Are you suggesting the Pelican/s survived in these incidents?
As I said "no clear winner".
:D

gissmonkey
19th Aug 2003, 08:46
MIss Behaviour,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they use defrosted cooks rather than frozen ones. Mistakes have been made where the cook was frozen and basically destroyed the engine?:eek:

Desert Flower
19th Aug 2003, 09:08
OMG!! Frozen/defrosted cooks now!! That's a bit rough, isn't it?! :)

777Efoh
19th Aug 2003, 09:32
LOL!!

Frozen/defrosted/microwaved/steamed/deep fried/stir-fried/braised/baked....depends on how you like it. :-P

RR Trent, GE, P&W etc all like 'em defrosted though.

Cheers.

MIss Behaviour
20th Aug 2003, 06:41
GissMonkey
That would really spoil your week!!! Would the company bother to ask you for a 'coffee & chat' or would you get the dcm then and there??? :{

If it's fried chicken do they throw in fries with that too? :8

Desert Flower
20th Aug 2003, 10:23
Has anyone actually thought they had seen a plane about three miles away, and it only becomes apparent that it is a pelican as you get closer to it?????

Or a wedge-tailed eagle!!

DF.

Suffering Sucataash
21st Aug 2003, 10:37
I believe it was a couple of fruit bats they hit.

Think of bird strike stench and multiply it by ten.

:ugh:

Woomera
21st Aug 2003, 11:00
About 390 moons ago one of our people found himself sharing the cockpit of a Commanche with a very much alive and very p!ssed off big sucker Wedgetail who had launched himself on a stoop for lunch in the circuit area without checking for traffic.:rolleyes:

Apart from the shards of acrylic in the cockpit, for those who have not seen the talons on one of these mothers it was a very interesting few moments before he could get it on the ground.

The cabin looked liked a scene from a Terminator movie, the pilot remarkably undamaged.

OzPax1
22nd Aug 2003, 09:22
iwillflyajet maybe fit the pelicans with transponders???

squawk codes for pelicans.....!!! ;) :E Thought seagulls did that! :E

Ruffus
22nd Aug 2003, 17:28
Providing the offending feathered foe see's you coming I understand they pull in all lift surfaces and drop like a rock.....but how true this is I don't know...:suspect:

If true then pull back till it hurts! :\