PDA

View Full Version : Re: Pathfinders

White Bear
18th Aug 2003, 00:11
I met a fellow last evening who told me his father was killed flying Pathfinder operations in a Halifax in Dec 1943.
He mentioned that Pathfinder operations were more dangerous than "regular" operations and that Pathfinder squadrons were required to fly tours of much longer duration, up to 60 ops!
If that was so, could anyone please explain the rational behind this?
Were these men so skilled and in such short supply, that they were 'pressed' into this apparently almost unsurvivable situation?
Regards,
W.B.

Onan the Clumsy
18th Aug 2003, 01:08
I read a book called Pathfinder once. The Author's name was Bennet. I don't remember anything about 60 opertion tours though. Perhaps there were many squadrons who could be rotated in and out of bombing missions, but only one group of pathfinders who were required for every mission and consequently had longer tours.

Flash2001
18th Aug 2003, 04:18
Well, Air Vice Marshal DCT Bennett ought to know. He was AOC 8 (Pathfinder) Group.

After an excellent landing you can use the airplane again!

Onan the Clumsy
18th Aug 2003, 06:13
That's what I though, but it's been ages since I read it. And lately, everything I thought was a fact seems to be getting discounted (with references).

I'm not ready for old age yet :(

PaperTiger
18th Aug 2003, 12:00
Rotations were codifed in an Air Ministry letter (PRO AIR 20/2859) May 8 1943 thus:
Bomber Command - first tour 30* completed sorties, then 9 months OTU, second tour maximum 20.
Pathfinder Force - a single continuous tour of 45* sorties.

Both were a reduction from the previous limit of 60 after it was found the loss rate in the last 20 (41-60) was unacceptably high and demoralizing for the remaining crews.

(* or less at the discretion of the Group Commander.)