PDA

View Full Version : Vision correction

hungry_flygal
17th Aug 2003, 21:46
Hi - not sure if this should be posted here or whether it's been posted elsewhere in the past (haven't been at pprune for very long) - if it has, could someone please point it out for me? Thanks :D

I'm a student pilot trying to head towards commercial aviation, but i'm short sighted - just wondering if anyone knows of someone who's had laser vision correction and is flying as a commercial pilot and if anyone would know if employers would prefer a "requires glasses" on the medical or a note saying that laser vision correction has been done ... :(

Either message me or just reply .... Thanks everyone !

Next Generation
17th Aug 2003, 22:04
My ophthamologist said I could have my astigmatism corrected for $5000 per eye, and that it could be done so well that it is almost undetectable.

In his next breath, he told me that there is no guarantee of success, and a small possibility of being left with permanent glare (whatever that means), so I decided to stick with the glasses/contact lenses.

Hope this helps.

sancho
18th Aug 2003, 17:08
My left eye was minus 10 dioptres short sighted ( I couldnt pass the medical for CPL WITH glasses, even the second line was very blurred) I had PRK Laser in Sydney in 1993 and it fixed it so that I can pass the medical now with no correction in my left eye, but its not perfect. I would recommend it if you cant meet the std now with glasses, but dont risk it otherwise. I had nothing to lose. That said my vision has been stable for about 7 years and hopefully it stays that way. There is a natural risk of retinal detachment in very short sighted eyes, which can be brought on with some of the medication used after this proceedure.
STAY AWAY from Pilocarpaine ( I cant spell it), it caused me to have a detachment but luckily they fixed it ok.

I believe the Lasers and proceedures are way better nowadays anyway.

Good Luck.

Counter-rotation
18th Aug 2003, 18:20
Had LASIK procedure several years ago now - prior to that was minus 6.5 and 5.5 right and left eye respectively. Could pass the medical with correction but obviously no chance without it.

I now have perfect vision in both eyes. The funny part is, I wasn't flying at that stage of my life, but when I returned to aviation, and renewed my medical, it no longer required the endoresment - "corrective lenses required". My DAME was glad to see I no longer needed them, CASA were not so enthusiastic. When the paperwork went to them, I received a letter stating my medical was suspended, (ie. YOU CAN"T FLY NOW), and I needed assesment for the next SIX months to evaluate after-effects! A bit excessive I thought, as the operation itself was over 12 months ago already, with no ill effects whatsoever. To put it bluntly, they were about as difficult and unreasonable as possible (this is CASA medical department remember, so the potential is huge!!!) The procedure was fairly new at that stage, maybe they've sorted it out by now.

I can say honestly the procedure changed my life...and I'm not being melodramatic. Whether you choose to undergo surgery or not depends on many personal things.
What level of correction are you wearing now?
What other activities do you participate in where this would make a difference?
Which particular laser procedure are you considering?
etc.....
I personally would thoroughly recommend it. That's just my experience.
But...
CHECK WITH CASA MEDICAL DEPARTMENT FIRST ON WHAT THEY WILL DO ABOUT YOUR MEDICAL AFTER THE OP. Get something in writing if you can. Remember if they decide to they can pull your medical.
I've worked for several employers (no airlines - yet!!) and none have ever asked me anything about my medical except "show me your medical, fine you've got one..."
Message me if you've got any other questions and I'll do my best to help.
(If you decide to go ahead, start shopping for cool sunnies!!!)

CR :cool: :ok:

DeltaT
18th Aug 2003, 19:27
The airlines arent worried about you wearing glasses as long as you have a medical, unless you are going for a cadet scheme.
However the Military will almost bawk.
I have talked with 3 people who have had the treatment, and after around 5-7 yrs it degrades and they are ready for glasses again.
However to have the operation today, it may be much better.
Not offering guarantees yet are they?

Torres
19th Aug 2003, 09:48
"I'm a student pilot ..... but i'm short sighted..."

Many commercial pilots, nay, most commercial pilots are rather short sighted............. :}

My daughter had laser eye correction about a year or so ago and found her vision is perfect. She speaks very highly of the procedure. Cost her around $2,500 per eye in Sydney. Not guaranteed, but I think the success rate is in the high nineties - around 97%.

Expect your eyesight to deteriorate with age, rather than the result of laser surgery.

:8

hungry_flygal
20th Aug 2003, 09:58
Thanks to everyone who replied !!

I'm still in two minds about it, but i'm thinking i should go talk to this opthamologist my DAME recommended first ....

I'm thinking i'll have to msg some of U in the near future ... hope no-one minds :O

corblimey
20th Aug 2003, 12:23
I had lasar correction in 1998, and have had no problems at all. I was a CPL holder and approached CASA before the operation. This put them in a tizz, but we negotiated on the down time etc, and it worked out well.
I get a little bit of glare from street lights and so on, but you learn to live with it, the same as if you had a wart on your finger. I now hold ATPL, working for an airline.

contact me on [email protected] if you want any help or advice.

hungry_flygal
21st Aug 2003, 12:41
Hey all ...

another question .... does anyone know of and recommend any of the laser eye surgery centers in Sydney ? Just trying to choose one of them to talk to ...

WaldoPepper
22nd Aug 2003, 17:54
I had laser surgery in June and work for one of the regionals. I took 2 weeks off work, sat the class one medical at the end of that, and was cleared to go back to work. A week later i received my newly changed medical in the mail with no restrictions.

There is a risk, as there is with any procedure, but I thought it was worth it.

I read an article from the Australian Defence Force saying that they actually promote it now rather than having glasses. Even for pilot's.

My surgeon is also an Aviation Opthamologist so he knew what CASA required.

Drop me an email if you want more info.:ok:

hungry_flygal
22nd Aug 2003, 20:49
Thanks WaldoPepper ...

Don't know your email so I've PMed you ...

thanks all ...

Cross Check
24th Aug 2003, 14:23
Had a very good optom who has done my glasses for the last 15 years and solved many a aviation-related specs problem. He became a qualified referrer for laser eye surgery (early cold laser LASIK days) and we discussed the percentages. Most were "acceptable" to me (< 2-3%), but the shocker was night vision - flaring of point light sources - at 15% ... couldn't accept that since I fly and drive a lot at night. I've been stable at -2.5 dioptres for over ten years now so not in any rush.

Last year or so in Singapore there was a new technique using 3D computer/laser mapping which would yield substantially better results overall, but the cost was quite high S$5K+/eye from memory. Know some of the surgeons who do it ... they wear glasses ... won't undergo the surgery themselves ... dunno whether to consider that an endictment of the surgery or not :uhoh:

Hawk
24th Aug 2003, 15:34
Flygal...Also see Medical and Health Forum, these threads.

[url]http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97880

[url]http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41221