View Full Version : what are they looking for?

tomcorcoran
17th Aug 2003, 04:10
hi all

im intending to apply to imperial college for their aeronautical engineering course, but ive heard that it is a very tough course to get into. does anybody know what would increase my chances of getting a place? any help would be fantastic. also, does anybody have any info or opinions on the course?

thanks

two speed prop 3
17th Aug 2003, 19:51
I studied Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial College and it is widely regarded as one of the best courses in the world.

I went through the application process a few years ago but as far as I know it has not changed. They do not make you sit any written tests like Oxbridge but the interview content depends on who conducts the interview. I found that some people were asked fairly detailed questions on principles of flight, including myself, and others were asked virtually nothing. I suggest you purchase a book called Flight without Formula by AC Kermode. This book explains POF and basic performance without going into mathematical equations. I was amazed by how much I knew in the interview and had no problems answering any of the questions.

Albertz is right about knowing why you want to attend the course. Do some research on what is involved in the course and make them believe that Imperial is the only University you have ever considered.

If you have any other questions send me a private message.

Best of luck.

TSP3 :ok:

tomcorcoran
1st Sep 2003, 21:00
hi, thanks for your advice

do you think it would be a large help if i had or was walking towards a ppl? It would need to be a really great help as its such a high cost.

tom

two speed prop 3
2nd Sep 2003, 00:11
I don't think it will be much help at all. From my experience most of the people on the course wanted to get jobs in the city. So if you show that you have a keen interest in aircraft and you do lots of reading on the subject that alone will make you stand out.

Good Luck:ok: