PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Perth Base

Flying_Sarah747
17th Aug 2003, 00:50
Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum, and would like to start off by asking a quick question! :)

I'm currently on the QF short list, and live in Perth, so I assume they will base me in Perth if they choose me from the short list. Anyway, I heard this information about the Perth base and just wanted to clarify if it's correct or not!

The Perth long haul crew only fly to Asia. The destinations they get are SIN, HKG, NRT and CGK. The longest trip is 6 days (NRT). That sounds great cause I love Asia, but...

Also, the patterns for the new Perth short haul base are only Western Austraila regional flying, plus DRW returns. No overnights were in the proposed patterns, and no flights over east!

What are the chances they'll offer me long haul when they start to recruit again?????

UpperDeckRight
17th Aug 2003, 15:29
A quick glance at the Long Haul bid books for PER revealed that the only slip (overnight) ports they have are SIN and NRT.

They do day trips to CGK ie PER-CGK-PER. And the next roster period they have one JNB charter, and a few PER-SYD-PER day trips for. And thats it.

Friends tell me that unless you are a fluent Japanese langauage speaker, or quite senior, you cannot get the NRT flights. One of my friends has been flying there for two years and can only bid for 3 day SIN trips.

With recruitment, I presume they will offer you a position in whichever division needs crew at the time. Although, I havent heard of any recruitment comming up in either division over here, but not too sure about PER.

Flying_Sarah747
17th Aug 2003, 16:26
Thanks for the info! :)

I'm starting to wish that I'd put down for a SYD base instead of PER, and just flown over to SYD for the interviews. Oh well, not to worry...If I'm chosen from the short list I'll just have to wait and build up my seniority. :)

peanut pusher
18th Aug 2003, 22:34
Don't loose sight over what your role is.
It's not a holiday it's work, PER will grow like all other new bases.
When we recruit we ask if you will take a basing anywhere and everybody says yes sir three bags full and then complain when they don't get the best trips.
Tip: take a basing in the south pole if it's for qantas cabin crew, then work your way to were ever in time.

Flying_Sarah747
19th Aug 2003, 00:10
Don't get me wrong! I'd be absoloutely extatic with ANYTHING! I mean just to be up in the air, flying for my career would be amazing, and there would be no second thoughts. I'd take ANY base they offer me with arms wide open! :)

Just thought that we were gonna be getting trained on the new Airbus and flying the PER-SYD city flyer sector.

Alpha Charlie Bravo
21st Aug 2003, 15:56
QF are keen to place Perth people in the Perth base, however, that desire is subject to other agreements in place at the time also. Yes, the flying for both long and short haul is limited at the moment but a week in aviation is a long time.

My advice, take the job and when you are six months in and feel like having a whinge about getting airport reserve for the sixth day in a row, stop and spare a thought for those who didn't make the cut! Lot of qualified people still out there.

Biscuitchucker, revise your figures, few more long haul crew in PER than 70+. Try 180 - 200.:hmm: