PDA

View Full Version : Air Log Management opposes Pay Increase for Pilots...Surprised?

SASless
16th Aug 2003, 23:48
Received an e-mail yesterday from a friend who flies for Air Logistics in the Gulf of Mexico. It contained an attachment which I have included in this post......I found the letter to interesting reading. The background to the letter indicates that Air Log management refuse to bargain with the pilots union despite being in Federally mediated talks in Dallas, Texas.

I was told the union pay increase demand will cost approximately $8.5 millon per year over current labor costs and the company states such an increase will bankrupt the company.....and destroy the company....etc. The union reps also reported that 8 management staff took home $18.5 million in bonus payments last year. My math shows that to be $2.31 Million per Boss Wallah.

Simple math....even that which Helicopter Pilots can handle would suggest the difference between the Boss'es Bonus money and the cost of increased pay and benefits for the pilots still leaves room for a $10 Million bonus pool for the management. Now being split 8 ways.....lessee here .... errr....more than I can count on my fingers and toes....but seems like a pot full of cash to me.
My handy dandy calculator shows that to be....$1.25 Million per Boss Wallah. Gee....now I see what they mean by "What does it cost?"

There have been quite a few comments about the ridiculous salary that we pilots are asking for. We have been told how we are not worth our request; we are not equal to our brothers and sisters in OLOG North Sea. Our job has been compared to others, and various subtle and not so subtle threats and intimidation tactics have been hurled at our group. In light of the current situation, please allow us, pilots to give you a small glimpse into our world...

DON'T COMPARE MY JOB TO OTHER JOBS

...How many OLOG meetings have been disrupted by exploding engines?

...How many chairs in the corporate offices are as old as the airframes we fly daily?

...How many trucks cost 1 to 15 million dollars?

...How many doctors spend half the month away from their families?

...Do the children of media representatives cry when Daddy puts on his uniform to go to work because they know he'll be gone for a week?

...How many salesmen lose their jobs because they have high blood pressure or fail a stress test?

...How many lawyers spent Christmas alone in far away remote areas of the world?

...When your wife is watching TV and the program is interrupted by a news flash of an aircraft accident, does she momentarily freeze in fear for what she might hear?

… How many patients can you lose by carelessness and still have job? Try losing one passenger.

… How many other professional jobs require a 96 hour work week?

There is not another profession in the world where the consequences for mistakes are so catastrophic and unforgiving.

THE PRICE

...I pay the price when somebody when the passenger decides to lie about his weights.

...I pay the price when I do my job correctly and the customer disagrees with my judgment

...I pay the price when mechanics forget their rags

...I pay the price when operators fail to insure fuel integrity.

...I pay the price when Mother Nature decides to shift the winds on those hot days.

…I pay the price when the winter winds switch directions and the sea fog comes rolling in.

… I pay the price when the Foreman chooses not to manage the safety of his operators

… I pay the price when the rig decides to make additions in the area of the heliport

… I pay the price when management fails to meet their obligations providing a safe work environment (smoking)

YOU SPEAK OF THE COST

...Ask the CEO of OLOG of the cost of a blade separation in the North Sea...The Cost..

...Ask the CEO of OLOG the cost of not implementing and enforcing fuel handling standards...The Cost

...Ask the CEO of OLOG the cost of not taking stringent steps to insure the customer understands the importance of true weights.

...Ask the CEO of OLOG the cost of training and training hundreds of pilots who leave in less than 3 years...The Cost

...And if not for their Cool, Calm, Professionalism, what could have been the cost of 3 S-76s which blew an engine with passengers aboard? How much were they worth that day? Industry standard or 25 % below? ...... The Cost

WHEN YOU TRY TO INTIMIDATE ME, REMEMBER...

...It was I who flew Cobra gunships in the jungles of Vietnam while you worked on your Masters degree

...It was I who sat alone at the tip of an AH-64 in the silent instant before I launched the first volleys to free a nation. While you slept peacefully in your bed

...It was I who, one night watched my torque climb as the rotors grow heavy with ice, miles from the safety of the nearest airport praying that I had enough fuel to find a level piece of ground, while you watched Monday night football

...It was I who flew a MH-47s into Panamanian gunfire, while you decorated your Christmas tree in 1989

...It was I who faced head-on the fourth largest army in the world over the deserts of Iraq and brought it to its knees, while you watched it on CNN

...It was I who landed on the roof of an embassy to evacuate the remnants of fallen government no bigger than the patio in my backyard, while you mowed yours

...It was I who watched missiles and bullets blossom in my face, yet didn't turn and run, while you watched the flowers in your garden blossom

...It was I who buried a friend

...It is I who knows a little boy who will never play catch with his Dad, so that you may play with your grandchild

Sir, please don't try to intimidate me.
I am not your enemy, I am your asset, an asset who has experienced and accomplished things few others dare to try. Realize this and there few obstacles we can't overcome.

Author Unknown

GLSNightPilot
17th Aug 2003, 00:28
Gasp!! I am astonished! Bewildered! You mean there is a management somewhere in the world that wants to save money on labor costs??? No way, dude!! That can't be true.

Say it ain't so, Joe!

cpt
17th Aug 2003, 02:42
This "helicopter pilot blues" is so true when seen from this perspective of businness, and indeed it is this system of references can easily be understood by common (or just "normal") people.

The point is, we live in different worlds ;those who sign our checks know better than ourselves,we are ready to sell our soul just to have the privilege of spinning our blades, and it's exactly what they expect from us.

But, nice worlds "unknown author"

;) !

Old Man Rotor
17th Aug 2003, 10:34
But please remember that Air Log is part of the Bristow network...or other way round!!!

And Bristow UK and Australia have reasonably [not great but OK] salary and pension systems.

Perhaps its because they have stuck together and fought hard and long!!! perhaps thats also why they don't have to put up with substandard machines [see fatal post re L3] over open water.

Management arrogance will continue to be the root cause of the GOM terrible safety standard, aided and abetted by the pathetic attitude of my colleages who continue to put up with the crap that someone else is waiting for your job.

Thats why I now choose to never darken the doorway of MC again.

Its interesting to note that in other parts of the world, Industrial Negilence can put the CEO straight into jail....its surprising that some bright young lawyer has not persued this in the GOM.

GLSNightPilot
18th Aug 2003, 02:54
In the U.S., CEO's don't go to jail. We have the best government money can buy, & we follow the golden rule - to wit, them that has the gold make the rules. And American CEO's certainly do make lots of gold, no matter how little they pay other employees.