PDA

View Full Version : Maldives with Monarch

FFP
16th Aug 2003, 21:21
Hi Everyone

The missus and I are off to the Maldives at the end of November.
We're off with Monarch on an A 330 (?) and have the choice of Premium Cabin. Do you think it's worth it (given it`s a 10 hr flight or so) ?

spunkydunkie
16th Aug 2003, 22:19
I definately think you should choose Premium Cabin if you are travelling Longhaul.
Monarch offer an excellent service in their Premium Cabin which includes a greater seat pitch and Seat Back IFE.
You also get a larger baggage allowance and deticated check in at Most Airports but that is never gaurenteed downroute.
On board you have a Seperate Cabin and are welcomed with a Drink and Amenity Kit.
In flight you are treated to an upgraded meal which is of a much higher standard that in Main Cabin. You will also have complementary drinks throughout the flight and a greater choice of In Flight Entertainment and approximately 8 films to choose from!
I also think the Cabin Crew work extremely hard and offer a High Level of Service on board! Hope this is of some help!;)

FFP
17th Aug 2003, 00:10
Thanks. It's a bit extra but on such a flight I think it's worth paying that bit more. I believe the flight stops in Sri Lanka on the way back. Is that true ?

spunkydunkie
17th Aug 2003, 23:29
I have also heard a rumour that it may be going Through Colombo! I think this may be new for the winter as the Male is direct at the moment, once a week, departing Sunday and returning Monday, will let u know if I here anything!

lovegerd
18th Aug 2003, 07:15
i must say monarch r not to bad for a charter anyhow,not ass good as some years ago,however i appreciate changes,but good ones for the better to itsss passenger,i fleww to maldives myself with monarch,yes good,but for heavenss sake sitting in premium,wqa good,but wen comming to eat my meal,my stomach turnss at th horrid yellow and black that doesnt compliment the crew.update it plse..

Whiskey Zulu
18th Aug 2003, 18:04
The yellow and black has gone. It's been replaced by a smart new uniform that the guys and gals seem to really like. :)

Definitely worth the extra cost for premium cabin imo.

FFP
18th Aug 2003, 19:42
Does Monarch have a departure lounge at LGW if you pay for this premium cabin service ?

spunkydunkie
18th Aug 2003, 20:00
No Departure lounge at LGW for Premium passengers but this would be the same if you were flying with any other charter airline in an upgraded cabin.
You will have your own dedicated check-in and be invited to board first but no special lounge!!
I flew with Virgin Atlantic last year and as one of their pax you can pay to go into their lounge at LGW (£20 approx).
Not sure if you can do similar when flying MON, ask ground staff at checkin!!!

FFP
19th Aug 2003, 19:05
Seems our flight does stop at Colombo on the way back !!:uhoh:

newswatcher
19th Aug 2003, 19:31
http://www.bcponline.co.uk Servisair at South Terminal c£17 each.

http://www.holidayextras.co.uk/products/products.asp?agent=WEB1&id=96 all lounges - c£18 each.

MonarchA330
26th Aug 2003, 23:30
Hey,

Im cabin crew at the mo with Monarch and I did the Male flight a month ago. We have 2 flights a week out to Male, both leaving on Sunday evening and returning Monday night. The A330 does a direct flight leaving at 2100 local and there is also a flight on the A300, leaving LGW at 2200 I think, which goes via Bahrain.

Premium cabin is well worth the upgrade, especially as the flight is so long. The legroom is noticably more than down the back, as is the seat width.

There is no louge available at LGW, but as mentioned before, there is priority boarding.

Hope this is of some help

FFP
29th Aug 2003, 23:25
Thanks that's great !

Is it much of a lay over ? (out and back ?)

MonarchA330
30th Aug 2003, 01:32
Yeah, it's a week layover :) It's an 11hr sector there and bout 11.5back so with only 1 flight a week, we're 'stranded' there for a week. Not complaining tho!

FFP
30th Aug 2003, 01:54
Very nice ! Heard anything about Sun Island on your travels Monarch ?

MonarchA330
30th Aug 2003, 02:12
Im afraid not, we stay at another hotel, the name of which Im not allowed to disclose, a short boat ride from the airport. The whole area is gorgeous, you'll have a brilliant holiday altho if ure into being very active on ure holiday, apart from scuba diving, wind surfing and probably tennis on ure island, there isnt much else to do.

Have a good one!

FFP
30th Aug 2003, 04:03
Sounds great!

May even see you on the flight out there...!

balance ball
30th Aug 2003, 18:08
FFP,

I did the same trip two years ago and had a superb time.

We also went with Monarch and opted for the upgrade but only on the outbound leg. I have to say that although I thought Monarch were excellent, I think we drew the short straw because we ended up in the last seats in the premium cabin which were at the back of the centre section in front of the loos!

This was a shame as if you are travelling as a couple and can bag a pair of seats by the window, you are guaranteed a more comfortable nights sleep than if you have to sit next to an oversized passenger as I did! In this position I did not really notice the extra seat width or the greater pitch. The IFE is good though and the menu definitely better, although in terms of my experience of comfort, I had a better flight in economy on the way home!

The upgrade might be worth it I think though, (about £200?) but make sure you can pre-book your seats (we were not given the option when we booked) or turn up extra early at check-in.

Have a great trip.

Jarvy
30th Aug 2003, 18:36
Without doubt its worth the extra. Went to Maldives start of last year Mytravel DC10-30 all one class ****e service, ****e plane,
nothing worked. Monarch flight with upgrade to Orlando very good!! Always upgrade on charters.Must return to rotorheads
as I'm not allowed out for long.

MonarchA330
30th Aug 2003, 18:49
one more thought, if you do travel in premium, try not to get seats 2D or 2G. May sound random, but they are kinda offset at the front of the cabin, right in front of the entrance to the galley where the aisle takes a funny turn (?!) and u end up getting bashed by the trolleys quite alot. (I wud know, have lost count of the number of pax ive bashed there!)

Try and get rows 2-7 AB or HJ

Fickle advice I know, but may get u a better flight!

Cheers

FFP
30th Aug 2003, 20:24
Great advice !

Will go for those seats I think !

spunkydunkie
31st Aug 2003, 23:31
I think that Kuoni is the Main or maybe the only Charterer on the A330 Male although I have not been to Male since last year, maybe A330 knows?
You should be able to contact them to pre-book your seats!
Probably better chance then contacting Monarch as I dont think they have any say in the matter!
Hope this helps!

expedite_climb
1st Sep 2003, 02:26
spunky - no TCX is as well - flights with either BY (MAN) or MON (LGW)

MonarchA330
1st Sep 2003, 19:27
yeah, Kuoni is the sole charterer on the A330 flight. Ring them and Monarch for your seat requests as ive lost count of the number of flights where people have booked seats with their tour operator, only to turn up and the check in staff have no record of it.

newswatcher
1st Sep 2003, 19:50
FFP, you were asking about Sun Island. Try this recent thread http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=99460&highlight=sun+maldives