PDA

View Full Version : Physical activity

Krallu
15th Aug 2003, 16:15
Hi there!

How much physical activity would a CPL person do?

How much to keep fit? Running 5 km once a week or 3 times a week? Swimming?

What about you guys who are active airline pilots, how much do you excerise, or required to excerise?

Thanks!

Krallu

Circuit Basher
15th Aug 2003, 19:03
Based on past experience, it's usually walking from the crew bus to the hotel reception, walking to the lift, pressing a button and walking to the room. You are then required to reverse the process, except instead of going to the crew bus, you go to the bar.

After re-hydrating, you then have to walk / stagger / stumble to the restaurant, where you exercise your neck muscles / eyes by admiring the passing totty, continuing to exercise the arms by frequent pouring of glasses of expensive wine. On completion of this, you then adjourn to the bar for a rest, before the exercise of returning to your room.

In the morning, once at the airport, you can then conduct your full daily exercise routine of:

Running everyone down
Jumping to conclusions
Leaping down everyone's throat
Jogging peoples arms when they're drinking coffee
Throwing your teddys out of the cot
Shooting your mouth off
Hiking your pay demand
Dancing around the subject

Have I got the wrong idea of my ATPL / CPL colleagues??!! :D ;)

redsnail
15th Aug 2003, 20:09
I try to get to the gym about 3-4 a week. If I am on a nightstop and the hotel has one handy then I'll use that. At the moment I am training for a 5km Fun Run in September so the emphasis is on cardio activities. I do supplement it with a light weight programme. If possible I'll walk every where rather than use the transport. It really depends on how heavy my bags are, how far I got to walk and how I feel at the time.
It's too easy to pile the weight on and much much harder to get rid of it.

(I do night freight in a Shed if that's any help)

carbonfibre
17th Aug 2003, 03:11
I agree with redsnail, i go about 4 times a week on average, run and cardio work everytime, and supplimented with light weight routine.

I think if i remember right, the official is to raise your heart beat by twice its norm 3 times a week, for 20 minute periods each time, but also depends on the person. Swimming is good for you because it works all the major muscle groups, without having to kill yourself , so to speak.

Also important to look at your food intake, type, amount etc, becauseit is like everything, nothing is that bad in moderation.

Best advice would be from your Doctor though, or a competent fitness instructor who can advise

Good luck :ok:

Krallu
17th Aug 2003, 17:32
Thanks a lot for your information. So 3-4 times a week is something to set the first goal at.

:)