PDA

View Full Version : Crash @ Camden

Critical Reynolds No
15th Aug 2003, 10:25
Reports are etchy but I like this great description of the accident from an "observer":

"It is about a kilometre short of the runway and has also stopped short of a power line which would have meant the plane would have gone into flame."

Condolences to the family. Sad day indeed.

Dogimed
15th Aug 2003, 12:13
Another Citabria from what I've heard. Sad day for camden indeed

plear crop
15th Aug 2003, 12:46
Woman dies in light plane crash
August 15, 2003

A woman was killed when her light plane crashed into the front yard of a south-western Sydney home today.

Victa Airtourer: similar to the aircraft which crashed

The plane, a Victa Airtourer owned by an aviation company at Camden airport, plummeted to the ground about 10.40am (AEST).

The aircraft narrowly missed a house in Ellis Lane, Camden, NSW Police said.

The house was unoccupied at the time.

Two other people were taken to Camden Hospital suffering shock.

An ambulance spokesman said the woman, believed to be in her 50s, was the sole occupant of the plane and was a fully qualified pilot and regular flier.

The aircraft was reportedly taken up for aerobatic training and had been in the air for about 45 to 50 minutes before the crash.

Witnesses told police they heard a loud bang and the aircraft's engine stopped, before the two-seater plane turned on its side and nose-dived into the ground.

"Some witnesses raced to the scene and tried to administer first aid to the victim but when they got there they realised that she was, in fact, deceased," the spokesman said.

"Two people have been taken to Camden Hospital with what is essentially shock, but other than that they are uninjured."

Fire spokesman Ian Krimmer said emergency crews were attending the scene.

A witness, David, told Sydney radio 2GB the plane crashed about a kilometre short of a runway at Camden airport and had missed hitting the verandah of a house by about four metres.

"People here said the motor actually cut out and it crashed into the front yard of this house," he said.

"It is about a kilometre short of the runway and has also stopped short of a power line which would have meant the plane would have gone into flame."

A spokesman for Curtis Aviation, a flying school based at Camden Airport, confirmed that they owned the plane.

AAP

Desert Flower
15th Aug 2003, 14:28
I last saw this aircraft in May. I don't think Curtis Aviation actually owned it, probably just had it "on-line". Nevertheless, it is a tragic end to a beautiful little aeroplane and someone's life. Condolences to all.

DF.