PDA

View Full Version : Pilot critical ater freak accident !!!

Gunship
15th Aug 2003, 07:06
:sad:Well known, Military, helicopter pilot, Andre Hattingh is in a critical condition after he had a freak accident on his motorcycle with a Dakota being towed out of a hanger.

It happened this morning at Ysterplaat.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children at this sad moment in time.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Check Revs
15th Aug 2003, 07:54
Gunss,

Any further news about the accident and how he's doing.

Thoughts and prayers with him, Annelien and the kids.

Check Revs

C4
15th Aug 2003, 08:56
If someone can let us "uitlanders" know how he is doing.. It would be appreciated.

freightboss
15th Aug 2003, 15:46
Andre is the only gentleman helicopter pilot I know. I hope and pray that he will recover.

Guns, Please keep us posted.

Gunship
15th Aug 2003, 17:07
It is not going well guys - sorry. Will get an update in an hour.

Cheers,

Gunsss :sad:

Check Revs
15th Aug 2003, 17:44
Andre passed away just after 6 this morning.

A real gentleman.

Your family are in our prayers.

Check Revs

Gunship
15th Aug 2003, 18:31
:sad:

From another news Group ..

It is very sad to formally convey that Andre Hattingh did pass away this morning at 06H20. On behalf of me, my family and 31 squadron, I would like to offer our sincere condolences to Anneline and her family as well as to 22 Squadron. Andre will surely be missed.

I just had a conversation with Lt-Col Mac McCarthy (OC 22 Sqn) who is on his way to Anneline at this very moment, and as far as he knows, the funeral will be full military, but he has no further details yet. We will publish the details of the funeral as soon as we know it.

RIP Andre ... :sad:

Gunship
16th Aug 2003, 06:16
Cape Town - A helicopter pilot of the South African Air Force has died after he crashed his motorcycle into a fixed-wing aircraft.

Major André Hattingh, 48, an Oryx pilot, was riding to work Ysterplaat Air Force base on his motorcycle on Thursday morning.

He apparently saw two vehicle lights approaching and thought it was a car, but it was the lights of a tractor towing a Dakota aircraft from the hangar to the runway.

Hattingh veered to the left, but crashed into the tail wing of the aircraft and his motorcycle slid to one side.

He was airlifted to 2 Military Hospital in Wynberg, where he was admitted with broken ribs and a broken nose.

An emergency operation was carried out, but because Hattingh's chest was severely injured, he lost a vast quantity of blood. His heart apparently stopped during surgery, but doctors managed to resuscitate him.

His condition worsened later and he died on Friday morning because of internal bleeding.

Hattingh is survived by his wife, Annelien and three sons, Joe, Koos and André.

Joe, the eldest, is also an Air Force pilot and is stationed at the Bloemspruit Air Force base, where he's being trained as an Oryx helicopter pilot.

Autorotate
16th Aug 2003, 12:03
To Gunship & All those that knew Andre,

Sorry for your loss and may be never be forgotten. I never knew him but he was a helicopter pilot, and thats all that matters.

Godspeed.

Autorotate. :(

francois marais
16th Aug 2003, 14:35
Deepest sympathy & hearfelt condolences to Annelien & Kids. André was a true gentleman that could'nt harm a fly, took great interest in nature and other things important, and most of all, never had a bad thing to say about anybody. RIP André.

helldog
16th Aug 2003, 15:09
Always sad to lose a fellow aviator. I cant say anything to console his family and friends. So I will just tilt a beer towards the sky for him today.

marc perkins
16th Aug 2003, 18:23
RIP Andre,

As one of your fortunate students, and on behalf of all those who were priveliged enough to be trained by you. Your kind and sympathetic approach, and priceless experience will be sorely missed.

A great loss to the "Chopper Manne".

Condolences to all the family, friends and 22 Sqn !!!

oryxs
17th Aug 2003, 03:56
RIP "Tang"

Ons sal jou mis. My familie se gebede is met Annelien en kinders.

Gunship
17th Aug 2003, 06:58
Message from Annelien to 31 Sqn (his old Sqn) . The funeral arrangements are at the bottomn for the non - Afrikaans speakers

Saterdag 16 Aug 2003

Aan al die lede van 31 Eskader oudlede,

Ek gaan in afrikaans skryf, verskoon asb.

Baie dankie vir jul almal wat meegevoel betuig het met André se dood. Dit is vir my en die kinders 'n verskriklike verlies. Geen mens sal verstaan wat ons ontneem is nie. André was voorwaar enige vrou se droomman. Ek dank die Here dat Hy hom vir my geleen het, en my so bederf het. Hy was 'n fantastiese Pa vir sy drie seuns. Al was hy baie weg van die huis, het hy altyd kwaliteit tyd saam met ons spandeer. Hy was 'n vriend wat in geloof vir mense 'n voorbeeld gestel het, sonder om dit aan mense op te dring. Hy was nederig, ook stout en 'n terggees. Hy het altyd so lekker gelag as hy iemand 'n poets kon bak. Sekere van julle weet sekerlik waarvan ek praat.

Hy het eendag vir my gesę: "As die Here my die dag kom haal, hardloop ek oop arms na hom toe, en ek sal nie eers terug kyk na jou toe nie" Dit is hoe graag hy wou Hemel toe gaan. Hy het so baie vrae wat hy vir die Here wou vra, en ek kan julle verseker hy is op die oomblik besig om die Liewe Vader se ore op te praat.

LOFDIENS RE'LINGS:

Dit sal DV Vrydag die 22ste om 13h30 in die AGS Kerk Goodwood Kaapstad plaasvind. Ongelukkig sal dit nie 'n Volle Millitęre diens kan wees nie, omdat ons seuns en sy broers ook aandeel in die verrigtinge wil hę, en omdat dit André se wens was dat Ds Johan Crafford eendag as hy sou sterf sy diens moet waarneem.

Jammer ek het skoon vergeet om af te sluit. My gedagtis is nie op die oomblik so mooi agter mekaar nie.

Dankie nogmaals vir almal wat geskakel het, asook die boodskappe op die web.

Liefde groete,
Annalien Hattingh's

C4
17th Aug 2003, 12:23
I am silent and humbled by the passing of a great helicopter pilot and human being.

RIP Andre'

"The Moon Is Yellow Tonight."

Craig K.

Gunship
17th Aug 2003, 16:22
English Version :

André's wish was that Ds Johan Crafford will lay him to rest one day. His sons and brothers also wanted to be part of the funeral arrangements - therfore it will not be a full Military Funeral.

The service will be held at 1330, 22 Aug in the AGS Church in Goodwood, Cape Town.

I will get a Sqn Contact person / number for finer details. Or if someone can get it in the mean time pse post but I do not want to post e-mail addresses here.

A sad cheers from Guns

Check Revs
18th Aug 2003, 06:47
Give 22 Squadron at AFB Ysterplaat a call for more details.

Person to speak to? Probably Brian Bell - (021) 508 6911 - always friendly and helpful.

Craig K - well said.

KS

:sad:

Sir Cumference
18th Aug 2003, 18:22
This is terrible news. Andre you will be sorely missed by family and friends of the chopper community.

RIP!

SL

Gunship
19th Aug 2003, 01:11
.. Check Revs ... :ok:

JC Kriegler I think is still 2 IC and of course Mac McCarthy the OC at the same number.

(021) 508 6911 - always friendly and helpful.

Cheers and best regards to those that can make it to the funeral.

Craig K ... long time bone dome :E Nice to hear from you mate ...:ok:

C4
19th Aug 2003, 20:24
Gunnss,

Not Bones.. Other Craig K.

Tassies is Koning!!!!

Tash Noon
20th Aug 2003, 02:31
Sat at my computer thousands of miles away, with goose bumps for skin, A great loss to the aviation world. Thoughts and prayers with the family....

Chopper Jog
21st Aug 2003, 19:39
To Annalien and kids,

It was with great sadness and shock when I was informed of the loss of a great pilot, friend and collegue. I use to fly with Andre in the SAAF up in 19 SQN and I can only remember what a true gentlemen he was!

The aviation community will greatly miss his presence and the SAAF has lost an irreplacable asset. My prairs and best wishes for you and the kids tomorrow for the funeral.

Best wishes,

Chopper Jog