PDA

View Full Version : flying and epilepsy

midouri
15th Aug 2003, 03:30
to all u pilots/doctors or anyone who may have some info. out there, i am a neuro technician,i am hoping to do a bit of research on flying and the eeg!what i would like to do is compare regulations in different countries.....so the more nationalities i hear from the better..can u please tell your country firstly and then what is acceptable for the class 1 there....i know europe is generally classed as a whole but i'd like to hear from south america, australia, asia primarily!! and of course....ANYWHERE!!!!!
cheers,
m

Flyin'Dutch'
15th Aug 2003, 04:10
Midouri,

I think your list would be a lot shorter if you asked where it was allowed for anyone doing some flying with a history of flying.

Here goes for areas where flying is NOT allowed with a history of epilepsy:

US; South Africa and Europe.

I would have to check the NPPL website but people who have been fit free for one year can reapply for their driving licence. If you are fit to drive a car you can apply for an NPPL medical. Gut feeling is though that a history of epilepsy is a no-no for this as well though.

FD

PS:Just checked and on the NPPL website (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/Epilepsy_protocol.pdf) is a link which will explain under which circumstances you can fly with a previous history of epilepsy.

In short you have to be fit free for a year to be able to fly solo and fit and medication free for 10 years to be able to carry passengers.

QDMQDMQDM
19th Aug 2003, 06:36
I'm prepared to bet you won't find any country where a history of epilepsy allows a pilot to fly fare-paying passengers.

QDM

midouri
19th Aug 2003, 16:02
hi QDM, thanks very much for ur mail, i agree very much with what ur saying!but i'm more interested with people who have had epileptiform activity on their eeg...also who have been maybe seizure free for quite awhile, what is happening to these??i'm wondering what the regulations are globally?
thanx, midouri