PDA

View Full Version : Italy buys firefighting Cranes!

Cyclic Hotline
15th Aug 2003, 00:18
I hear that Erickson has sold the Italian government 4 S-64E SkyCranes for firefighting!

Anyone know anything from the Italian side?

PANews
15th Aug 2003, 06:46
I asked Erickson.... based on your rumour text.

I was going to let you know if they reply........

....but that happened quicker than I expected!

The quick reply was .... 'Not at this time.'

which I guess means 'Yes but the ink is still wet.... [or still in the pen]'

Cyclic Hotline
15th Aug 2003, 07:48
4 ships with 2 options (forgot to mention that part earlier)!

Next will be re-engining, composite blades and then NEW airframes.

Congratulations to everyone there. Persistence and hard work has paid off!

topcat450
15th Aug 2003, 19:33
So the final consensus is that yes they have? or no they haven't? :confused:

Granny
16th Aug 2003, 00:23
griffo
Whats with the --"We have been trying to sell etc etc" do you own Erickson

Jiff
16th Aug 2003, 03:30
Griffo,

If you don't mind me asking, what is your relationship with Erickson?

Jiff

PANews
16th Aug 2003, 15:34
So the final consensus is that yes they have? or no they haven't?

The fat lady has yet to sing, but [especially with Griffo's input] there are strong indications that they will buy.

The Forestry [Corpo Forestale dello Stato......zzzzz, State Forestry Corps!] people have a project requirement with sufficient money which would fit the bill. We just have to wait.... but do not hold your breath, this is Italy and this years season is ending even if Erickson could complete on time!

Vfrpilotpb
16th Aug 2003, 17:00
Hey you Pinko's

Big Al said notting abou thezze flyingo craneso, any contract should be givven out by the boss, anyone else who is trying to be involved will be sleeping wid the fishe's, Capish :E :ouch:

Check 6
17th Aug 2003, 20:29
I have seen sky cranes here at the Naples, Italy Capodichino Airport frequently this summer, but from a distance and unable to see to whom they belong. I suspect they are Erickson's.

We certainly can use their help this summer.

:ok:

captjohn1000
11th Sep 2003, 19:39
Griffo, dream on, you have been a contractor - not an employee - of Ericksons for under 12 months - even the staff who have been there for years still can't confirm that this has been signed!! Me thinks you should go back to your hammock!! You have trouble with your mouth!!!

craniac
12th Sep 2003, 20:10
Sure are a lot of opinions out here, does anyone work for Erickson or the "Italian buyers" or is this all just speculation?

Capt John????????????????Griffo??????????????

WHEEL TRACK
15th Sep 2003, 15:30
I heard that the Koren's are looking at selling their Cranes to the Italian buyers. t Heard they are cheaper than the Cranes from Erickson. Newer too!!!
By the way, can anyone who works for Erickson please tell me how to get a job with them?

craniac
16th Sep 2003, 00:48
C'mon Wheel... Korea would likely chain their crane (1) to the ground before it'd get outta the country. Are you really serious.

I think Griffo or Cap'n John work for Erickson Air Cranes maybe they'd hook you up, dunno though they haven't replied, see above

GMB 666
16th Sep 2003, 03:08
Wheel Track, you're way off track there, You been sniffin' Jet A again?

captjohn1000
24th Sep 2003, 13:11
Yes I am involved in Ericksons. I suggest you contact Ericksons personally if looking for employment.
Has any one noticed that Griffo has removed his gossip???:yuk:

GMB 666
25th Sep 2003, 04:00
Well, this thread is a little disjointed now that Griffo has retracted his snorkel and returned to base.
Cyclic Hotline (or anyone ) got any more details on what the Italians are rumored to have requested? Be a shame if this topic went colder than the weather in Europe.

craniac
1st Oct 2003, 09:12
Capt John.... how are you involved? Care to be more specific? Are you a pilot, engineer, management?

Cyclic Hotline
7th Oct 2003, 09:45
;) Lot of speculation about nothing, eh? (http://www.rotorhub.com/news/0310/erickson1.htm) :rolleyes:

captjohn1000
7th Oct 2003, 14:10
Any one heard any more about the Italians and their purchase, I believe it's gone through!!

Cyclic Hotline
8th Oct 2003, 00:55
Try clicking the link on my post above (between the smilies)!

Or this one, if its easier. (http://www.rotorhub.com/news/0310/erickson1.htm) :8

Autorotate
8th Oct 2003, 11:34
According to some of my Erickson contacts they said and I quote "The Italians dont know what the heck they have got themselves into". Looks like it might be very interesting times ahead and bet you they will rely on Erickson for support/help for quite some time.

:E

P.S. Wonder how Erickson will get on with this many spares taken out of their inventory, to support their own aircraft. Any answers anyone.

Cyclic Hotline
31st May 2004, 16:16
Ducommun announces $5M contract for Erickson Air-Crane S-64 main blades

LOS ANGELES, California (May 26, 2004) - Ducommun Incorporated today announced that its Ducommun AeroStructures (DAS) business has been awarded a $5 million contract by Erickson Air-Crane, Inc. of Central Point, Oregon to fabricate the Main Rotor Blades for the S-64 Air-Crane Helicopter. The work will be performed at the DAS facilities in Gardena and Monrovia, California, with deliveries commencing in the fourth quarter of 2004.

The Erickson S-64 Air-Crane has been in service since the mid-1960s and as a result of Erickson's continuous development program is one of the premier commercial heavy lift helicopters in the world today. The Erickson S-64 Air-Crane has enjoyed unparalleled success in the logging and firefighting arenas and is the most successful firefighting helicopter available today with the ability to deliver 2500 gallons of water on a fire in a single drop. The Erickson S-64 Air-Crane has six 32 foot long main rotor blades per helicopter. The blades have been out of production since the 1970s and the new DAS fabricated blades will incorporate updated processes and materials while maintaining the original design. The availability of new blades will allow Erickson to continue to supply blades to their current fleet and will also support Erickson's current manufacturing effort which is adding approximately four aircraft per year for Erickson's own operational fleet and sales to outside customers.

DAS has built over 100,000 rotor blades in the last 40 years and is currently producing the Boeing AH-64 Apache Rotor Blades and the Carson Helicopter S-61 Composite Main Rotor Blade. DAS has also previously manufactured rotor blades for Bell Helicopter's Model 47, UH-1 Huey, and Model 206 JetRanger Aircraft.

Joseph C. Berenato, chairman and chief executive officer of Ducommun, stated, "We are very pleased with the award of this contract which recognizes our extensive capability in the production of helicopter blades and reaffirms our focus on higher level subassembly and assembly work to increase our proportion of value added work."

Ducommun AeroStructures manufactures large, complex structural components and assemblies in aluminum, specialty alloys such as titanium, metal bond and composites for a wide variety of military and commercial aerospace applications. Founded in 1849, Ducommun Incorporated manufactures components and assemblies for the aerospace industry.

The statements made in this press release include forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. The Company's future financial results could differ materially from those anticipated due to the Company's dependence on conditions in the airline industry, the level of new commercial aircraft orders, production rates for Boeing commercial aircraft, the C-17 and Apache helicopter rotor blade programs, the level of defense spending, competitive pricing pressures, manufacturing inefficiencies, start-up costs and possible overruns on new contracts, technology and product development risks and uncertainties, product performance, risks associated with acquisitions and dispositions of businesses by the Company, increasing consolidation of customers and suppliers in the aerospace industry, possible goodwill impairment, availability of raw materials and components from suppliers, and other factors beyond the Company's control. See the Company's Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2002 and Form 10-Q for the quarter ended April 3, 2004 for a more detailed discussion of these and other risk factors and contingencies.