PDA

View Full Version : Volos, Greece

Groundbased
13th Aug 2003, 19:49
Hi,

I would appreciate it if anyone could give me any information or a link about this airport, I can't seem to find out much except v short runway at 3900'.

Many thanks.

GK430
13th Aug 2003, 20:04
Do you mean LGBL - VOL - Nea Anchialos.

If so the Rwy is 9028 ft. Islansdflug operate there from BHX via JSI with 737-400.

Apologies if wrong location!

Groundbased
13th Aug 2003, 21:12
As far as I am aware it is LGVO and is a combined civil/mil aerodrome.

The reason I ask is that my folks are going there in sept and initially told me that they had been told it was an unpaved strip. I therefore assumed that they would put down somewhere first and get another flight.

However they told me it is direct from MAN, so I cannot believe the unpaved bit, all I could track down was runway 14/32 3900'.

Cheers.

Kelas
13th Aug 2003, 21:54
I can say with certainty that Volos airport can accomodate aircraft as large as the A320 as Virgin Sun use to operate there once in a while during the summer season.

expedite_climb
13th Aug 2003, 22:20
Believe that TCX use it as a fuel stop out of JSI as well. (A320).

Danny
14th Aug 2003, 00:34
Volos is a military airbase which allows civil a/c to use it's very limited ramp facilities. The runway is plenty long and can accomodate any of the usual IT type aircraft, certainly up to B757.

Ramp space is extemely limited and only two a/c will fill the ramp. No idea where the terminal is as a bus collects and dispenses our passengers.

Controllers are usually accomodating and will let you choose your arrival and departure if they aren't busy and subject to co-ordination with Macedonia control. I'll be flying there from Skiathos again on Friday.

moleslayer
14th Aug 2003, 00:48
bmi run summer charters MAN - VOL direct in A321.

Greece : LGBL : Nea Anchialos : 08/26 : 9810 ft = VOLOS.

Combined Civil/Military, never seen a terminal, park up near a gate by the perimeter fence. Gate opens, bus & bowser arrive, pax get off & swop places with bus pax, sign for the fuel, bus & bowser depart by same route. Wish it was half as simple at LHR!!

Boxcar.

Le Tirer
14th Aug 2003, 01:09
Holidayed in Greece a couple of weeks ago. Flew BMI A321 from LHR to VOL on a Sunday. Only other flight that day was EAF B737-200 from MAN.

Small terminal building located away from the airfield, with couple of check-in desks, small baggage conveyor and tiny shop/cafe. Crew and reps repeatedly advised absolutely no photography!

Only one baggage handler but still much quicker than the 1.5 hrs it took to retrieve bags on return to LHR.