PDA

View Full Version : best time 2 "x" the states?

Crashlanded
13th Aug 2003, 00:51
Hello everyone :) hope im posting my topic in the correct slot.

Anyway just a question & some opinions from fellow aviators & anyone who has done interstate nav from YPJT to SA then VIC & back.

When would be the best period to conduct such long nav?
(weatherwise) I intend to do it mid/late Oct2003

what would be the best routes & stopover/layover points
between WA/SA/VIC?

What type of aircraft would best suit such long nav?
C172/177/182/M20?

Every great help, comments/opinions appreciated :)
Look forward to hear from all :) :ok:

Thanks in advance:ok:

Ovation
13th Aug 2003, 07:23
I have done the trip three times in a Mooney. It's a long trip but really interesting to see the countryside low down. Providing you have the range, suggested refuelling points are Kalgoorlie, Forrest, and Ceduna en route to Parafield. Places to avoid are Caiguna and Border Village unless you like a challenge. Caiguna can have howling all crosswind and the taxi over the rock strewn track to the bowser is hard on tyres. Always check strip conditions and fuel availability (and price) before departure.

If you have decent range and a strong bladder, go for the distance. I flew Albany - Parafield non stop in 9/2000 with the help of some good tailwinds.

Bevan666
13th Aug 2003, 07:45
Weather in October would be nice, usually. You must stop in Forrest - its an amazing place. I stayed the night there once and helped unload supplies from the train which stops one morning a week. Its not the cheapest place to stay but a much nicer experience than stopping somewhere like Nullabour hotel.

If you do stop at Nullabour hotel, be careful about which runway you use - some are growing back and are quite narrow now. I think they have recently sealed one of the strips though, which'll make things easier.

Also check for fuel availability at Forrest before you depart - sometimes they do run out and its a bit of a wait for the fuel truck to arrive (fuel arrives overland via Eucla, and not by train). Thats why its rather pricey.

Its a great trip - my memories of flying along the cliffs at 1500 ft amsl on a perfect morning will last a lifetime. I cant wait to do it again.

Bevan..

compressor stall
13th Aug 2003, 13:24
I'd suggest October - before it gets too hot.

Head over via the coast, and come back more inland. A greater chance of better winds that way.

Albany, Esperance, Cape Arid and the Baxter cliffs to Cocklebiddy are a must see.

You might see the readymix sign near Caiguna (the biggest sign in the world in the guinness book of records) from about 4000 feet but its a bit faded/overgrown.

The roadhouses are much of a muchness along the highway. Madura a few years ago was OK, although the strip a bit overgrown. Ring the owners prior to heading there.

Head of the bight is good, but you'll be too late for the whales.

Ceduna, Streaky bay etc, nice. Port Augusta, is the gateway to the Flinders Ranges from the west. Consider heading to Hawker, then down to Mount Gambier.

Or you could continue down the coast and cross the gulfs to Kangaroo Island, then to MTG.

From MTG Portland, the 12 apostles, the great ocean road, along to Geelong, cross the Port Phillip heads, the up the eastern side of Port Phillip bay to YMMB.

From YMMB, head north to Mildura, then to Broken Hill. Across Lake Frome to Arkaroola and other spots in the Flinders Ranges. Then to William Creek, Coober Pedy. From Coober try to make Forrest if you have the range (360nm and you'll have headwinds).

Great place, friendly couple although I think its about $50 pp now when I enquired when I was there a month or so ago. Meals included though I think. A bit of history there too with the old hangar.

From Forrest, parallel the transline to Kalgoorlie spotting all the caves in the hollow Nullarbor along the way. Then Kal-home however you wish.

As for aircraft, a 172 will do it, but no more than 2 pob by the time you have emergency water (Use 2 litre cokebottles - as tough as you'll get, and you'll need 6 of these per person) and food and your overnight gear. Are you hours building? Then work out the cost to your logbook per hour for the aircraft. If you want to see more in a shorter time, then look atsomething faster.

Got a spare seat? ;)

Crashlanded
2nd Sep 2003, 17:28
2 compressor stall matey :)

hey thanks for ur valuable info n insight into sucha long nav.
it's gonna b my very first time doing such a long solo nav.
Greatly appreciated 4all the tips.

I'd probably be flying a 172,172RG or 182.Depends on wats available.At this stage I could forsee just sticking to the 172's for the interstate nav.

what I'm planning to do would be leaving Jt for PKG then direct Forrest & Ceduna or Caiguna before direct Parafield.

then after one or two days of ADL sightseeing will head east for
melbourne.

so POB wise ...2 pax would b max am I rite?

This stage if it's confirmed,I'll b flying alone anyway & i know its gonna b a long,tiring nav.

wouldnt mind having a company onboard if u wanna share cost n all.Especially with someone who has done the sector before.

Will keep u updated as to whats on plan n all.
Thanks again for help. :ok:

2Bevan666 :)

Thanks mate for ur info n all.
Ive heard heaps about that cliff flying n so on.
wouldn't mind doing that for an experience of a lifetime!

will PM u for details or other infos if need arises

Thanks again :) :ok:

2Ovation in regards to Caiguna or Ceduna
i heard from some pilots that there's a seafood meal haven somewhere along the bight.where could tat be?

will take note of that crazy howling crosswind issue

Thanks mate :) :ok: for all the infos.

compressor stall
3rd Sep 2003, 16:51
Enjoy the trip. You will have a great time.

Thanks for the offer, but you will learn a lot less if you have someone who has done it before with you. The whole point is for you to get some command time up...make command decisions with noone to turn to but yourself. :D

I am sure you'll have no shortage of non people wanting an experience of a lifetime.

2 pax should be fine....

CS

Crashlanded
3rd Sep 2003, 22:46
CS Matey.. :ok:

great advice there u got for me :)

Thanks heaps... I shall keep u posted abt the trip :)

u might wanna hear some stories of the state crossings :) when im done with it .

oh yea b4 i forget...how long is the estimated flighttime from JT-Parafield?