PDA

View Full Version : Latest addition to Rotorheads 'Hall of Fame'

Heliport
12th Aug 2003, 07:25
Some of you may have wondered about the new member who started a thread teasing highly respected and popular Rotorheads contributor Nick Lappos, and may also have wondered why Nick took it in such good humour.
For those who didn't immediately recognise the name ……………..

Rich Lee is Boeing's Chief Pilot, Engineering Flight Test and Experimental Test Pilot assigned to the Apache AH-64D programme.

Rich (left) http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/crash%2001/AeroDoodes%20small.jpg

Rich has been Chief Pilot Engineering Flight Test & Military Training/Experimental Test Pilot at Boeing Mesa, Arizona since 1998.

Before that, he was Manager & Chief Test Pilot, Light Helicopter Division Flight Operations at Hughes/MDHS from 1986 – later MDHS/Boeing.

As well as being an FAA Designated Examiner (Private, Commercial, Instrument), Rich is Boeing/MDHS Instructor for High Mountain, Sling Load, Law Enforcement, Weapons, and Agility/Aerobatics.

A Vietnam veteran with 860 combat flight hours, he has more than 20,000 flight hours in numerous different aircraft (>4500 instructing) and 25 years of test pilot experience.

A few photographs of Rich's day 'in the office' to whet your appetite ………..

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/crash%2001/99-372-002%20small.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/crash%2001/99-372-014%20small.jpg

http://www.helicopterservice.com.au/photos/pprune/crash%2001/99-372-017%20small.jpg

Bronx
12th Aug 2003, 15:09
Big welcome Rich. :ok:
Swell to have you joining the ranks of Nick and Shawn.

Will you tell us a little about the pics of the Apache doing aeros. What's the routine? Is it right they perform fully-loaded?

Hilico
12th Aug 2003, 15:12
Errrr.....ah. Rich! Wonderful to meet you!

Hey, Lappos - we're through.

Vfrpilotpb
12th Aug 2003, 16:04
Hi Rich,

From one English heli man, I bid you welcome to this wonderful world of Pprune,,,,

Now the nice words are over please will you come over here and teach our Military chappies how the Ah64 works, we seem to have a few sheds full of them with no jockeys for them, I sent a text to our MOD suggesting that I would be happy to run them in for the time being, but it seems every one is on holiday! ;)

By the way, choppers don't loop!!:cool:

Many Regards
PeterR-B

GLSNightPilot
12th Aug 2003, 16:18
Maybe choppers don't loop (what kind of chopper - nut chopper, motorcycle, or what? ) but helicopters do.

Genghis the Engineer
13th Aug 2003, 23:10
Mind you there's arguably equally great respect due to whoever was flying photo-chase for that sortie!

Glad to meet you Rich,

G

vaqueroaero
13th Aug 2003, 23:26
Would you be the same Rich Lee who used to fly in Carlsbad, CA when Hughes was there?

If so, then I have been hearing stories about you from a guy called Roland, who I have had the distinct pleasure to be flying with lately.

The Crazy Burro is still in existence and he still wants to know:

How do you roll a 300?

Bullet Tooth Tony
14th Aug 2003, 00:13
Nice pictures.

That's the sort of thing Bloo Anderson used to do in Apache, Lynx and Gazelle.................Apparently! :E

Muff Coupling
14th Aug 2003, 03:58
Not impressed.....better than this was done by Lynx AH1 in 1979. It would be tempting main rotor head departure to do any of the profiles shown in the phots between 19,000lb and max op overload of 21,000lb in a 64D :ooh:

That said...new blokw has street cred :ok:

Rich Lee
14th Aug 2003, 05:56
To Genghis the Engineer

"Mind you there's arguably equally great respect due to whoever was flying photo-chase for that sortie!"

Agreed! Excellent flying and great photography by Bob Fergusen. Nice meeting you too. I have enjoyed your corner of the forum!

To Vaqueroaero

"Would you be the same Rich Lee who used to fly in Carlsbad, CA when Hughes was there?"

Si, Soy you amigo.

"If so, then I have been hearing stories about you from a guy called Roland, who I have had the distinct pleasure to be flying with lately."

I know Roland well, a fine gentleman of distinction!

The Crazy Burro is still in existence and he still wants to know:
"How do you roll a 300?"

Ahhhh, the Burro. Don't let Roland fool you-he's been around more than he likes to admit. He knows that it will only do a very crappy slow roll. Roll rate is almost nothing and pitch couple is nasty. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Tell him to show up at the next Helicopter Aerobatic Championships to see some awesome H300 maneuvering. The best helicopter aero guys all seem to be from the UK and Europe and that competition is where they show their stuff.

To Bullet Tooth Tony

"That's the sort of thing Bloo Anderson used to do in Apache, Lynx and Gazelle.................Apparently!"

Yes he did, and with great distinction I have heard.

To Muff Coupling

"Not impressed.....better than this was done by Lynx AH1 in 1979. It would be tempting main rotor head departure to do any of the profiles shown in the phots between 19,000lb and max op overload of 21,000lb in a 64D

The first loop in a helicopter I have know of was performed in a Sikorsky R-4 during WW2. There is a cockpit film of it running around somewhere. In that sense we are all standing on the shoulders of giants (I stole that from Newton or somebody like that).

I have been lucky to have flown helicopter aerobatic displays at nearly every international airshow (and almost all US shows). I have been flying aerobatic displays at shows since 1979. During that time I have seen several impressive Lynx displays by some incredible pilots. The rotor head design of the Lynx gives the aircraft great maneuverabilty. I have been impressed by each and every one of those displays. To this day I love to watch any helicopter perform aerobatics and still shake my head in disbelief that they can do so at all. Those of us who have survived doing this for 10 years or more do not consider displays to be competitive and have great respect for each other. The group is very small and we know each other well. We realize the each aircraft has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, I can do linked rolls all day in an Apache at mission gross weight, but the same maneuver set is a challange in the Lynx (in fact linked rolls are not allowed at most international airshows because of a Lynx accident). A Waddington flip in the Apache is dicey but in the Lynx it is great fun. An inverted flat spin in a BK-105 is inspiring but the same maneuver in an MD500 is "muy mal" as the Spanish say. Some helicopters are unbelievable when clean wing and veritable dogs when in a dirty configuration.

We do the Apache show at 16,500 lbs which is mission gross weight with externals. We use a stock Army aircraft and do nothing to it. We have tested loops, rolls, hammerheads, split-s and other maneuvers at 17,500 up to 7,000 feet density with no significant operational impact. As you are probably aware, you only see 19,000 and above with external wing tanks full of fuel. The problem with doing a loop at near limit weight in the Apache is that you can't get enough smash (g) before the blades stall so you tend to fall off before getting very far into a loop. You don't lose the rotor and the blades do not fall of the helicopter. The helicopter just stops flying until the blades come out of stall.

cyclic_fondler
14th Aug 2003, 06:56
Rich,

Looking at the picture of you infront of the heli wearing a parachute, I was wondering how practical would it be to jump out of the ship if you knew that there was no other way?

I hope you never have to find out for real either !!!

Steve76
14th Aug 2003, 10:08
So! all I need to do is fly upside down to get on the hall of fame...piece of cake.

ShyTorque
14th Aug 2003, 17:06
A big welcome, Rich!

However, I hope they pointed out it costs a round of beers to join...... ;)

Rich Lee
15th Aug 2003, 05:28
cyclic_fondler
"Looking at the picture of you infront of the heli wearing a parachute, I was wondering how practical would it be to jump out of the ship if you knew that there was no other way?"

Everybody comments about the parachute but nobody notices my big Breitling Emergency watch (you know big watch, big....)! To answer your question; in the flight test world, several people have successfully bailed from out-of-control helicopters. When we are conducting a particularly dangerous test at an altitude that allows deployment of a chute, we wear them.

Steve76
"So! all I need to do is fly upside down to get on the hall of fame...piece of cake." I don't know the rules myself....I thought I was here because I know a guy who knows Nick Lappos.

ShyTorque
"A big welcome, Rich! However, I hope they pointed out it costs a round of beers to join......"
Many thanks for the welcome....go ahead and put those beers on account.....on account-a I ain't got enough money. Should we ever cross paths I will be happy to by you a few...ah, beers.

3top
15th Aug 2003, 09:24
Hi Rich,

wellcome on board!

Is there any place one could take a couple of lessons with you or someone you recommend?

My interest is not to do rolls and loops (...for now :E!)

Unfortunately I am not with any Armed Forces, so to get sent to do some training with you is not an option!

I believe to know as much as possible about "the edge" is very helpful in "edgy" situations in everyday flying! Unfortunately hardly anyone is in a position to afford and/or risk to go beyond some rather tight limits on "exploring" the edge!
Knowing what to expect and reacting correctly would be priceless! ....of course being in an aircraft while being demostrated all the stuff and then getting to try things out under a watchfull eye!

Saludos,

3top
:cool:

Rich Lee
15th Aug 2003, 11:29
3TOP,

Hola! Almost every manufacturer has a factory course that will teach you special tecniques and specific knowledge about the aircraft they make. You can even arrange "special" courses with most of them.

If you want to "explore the edge" I would suggest that you look into the National Test Pilot School at Mojave. They offer a Rotary Wing Short Course for a reasonable price that teaches you aerodynamics of test, test techniques, and the reasons why things are the way they are. You will fly in one or more aircraft but more importantly you will learn more about your aircraft in a few weeks than most people learn in a lifetime. Shawn Coyle or Mike Hardey are both instructors at the school a PPrune members. Check it out, you won't be disappointed!

Adios amigo. Que la vaya bien.

newschopper
23rd Aug 2003, 08:59
I'm glad Rich is here. He gave me two excellent checkrides, for both PPL and CPL.

If there's anyone who knows the 300 better than he does, I'd be surprised.

I especially enjoyed my PPL checkride, which took place during a desert monsoon (no exaggeration) complete with towering cumulous clouds, winds gusting 40+, and the opportunity to report to the tower some brush fires started by lightning. Since rain does not mean cool in Phoenix, we had the doors off and got a nice shower as well.

The man knows his machines. He's forgotten more than I'll likely ever know.

Lowlevldevl
24th Aug 2003, 08:46
G'day Rich,
There's something I've always wanted to know.
Just how capable IS the 300 at aerobatic type manoevres? What have you done in them personally?
I have an aerobatic f/w rating (from eons ago and no longer current) I spent about 8000 hours flying one particular 300 which I owned. A few times I tipped the nose down hill and got about 1/3 of the way around a barrell roll before chickening out. I always suspected it would make it though I never felt comfortable to continue. I suspect that a loop is definitely 'out'.
About as upside down as I ever got was in high torque turns with a little back cyclic at the top to bring me back on a heading more like 210/ 240 degrees than 180.
Despite the disparaging comments made about them in other threads, I really liked the 300 and am just curious as to what it really is capable in the hands of a skilled pilot.
I no longer have access to one and in any event don't believe my sphincterometer would let me do any more than I have in the past. Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
Don.