PDA

View Full Version : Insurance & Renting

nulian
12th Aug 2003, 00:25
Hi folks -
I'd like to get a read on what people in the US who rent are doing for liability insurance.

I know that my school has a policy that if you damage the helicopter in motion you eat the deductible ($10k). Nothing said about other liability, which probably means that you're screwed if you damage other property or persons.

Any recommendations for insurance? Any advice? Horror stories?

Cheers

RDRickster
12th Aug 2003, 00:53
I just called one of the places where I rent, and they have the exact same policy. Pilot assumes responsibility for deductable and insurance covers the rest (unless you do something completely stupid and are grossly negligent - like try to fly the helicopter into an open barn). My home owner insurance will cover other folks property if I am responsible for the damage, but they require you to have at least a 1000 hours in type.

nulian
12th Aug 2003, 00:54
RD - so do you carry your own liability insurance? If so, what do you use?

I'm not real comfortable with being on the hook for millions if I have the misfortune to have to do a forced landing in someone's back yard and ruin their tomato garden.

RDRickster
12th Aug 2003, 01:18
No, I don't carry additional insurance. I guess it's a gamble, but forced landings and other items would be covered under the owner's insurance. You shouldn't be liable in that case; it's not your fault. On the other hand, if I was buzzing somebody's farm land and struck a wire, I'm sure the lawyers would go after the full amount. Just don't fly in a manner contraindicated by safe operations.

nulian
12th Aug 2003, 02:29
I'm sensitive to this issue because I've heard stories in the fixed wing world of pilots bending airplanes and getting reamed by the owner's insurance company.

Flying safely also doesn't make you immune from accidents, and it's possible to be on the hook for something that wasn't your fault.

Pessimistic, I suppose, but there it is.

RDRickster
12th Aug 2003, 02:52
I guess AIG insurance has an aviation branch that handles renters...

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-1-059x_2.html

Let us know what you find out (rates, coverage, etc).
You bring up a few good points that I haven't really thought through.