PDA

View Full Version : Civvies

2nozee
11th Aug 2003, 23:14
Can anybody let me know their company policy on ties? When we coach around the country in civvies the stewards must wear a shirt and tie, even if we go LGW to MAN about 5 hours the day before we fly shirt and tie required, if you should arrive looking very smart without a tie you are called into the office to explain why. In the past trainers have made stewards go into the terminal to buy a tie. The other day I positioned on a coach with cabin crew all looking very smart myself without a tie and flight deck without ties. I am told the tie rule does not apply to flight deck.

cabin secure
12th Aug 2003, 21:20
Our airline likes us to dress as if we are attending an interview.
Displays a professional image to our travelling public.
As we all know, we are easily recognised by passengers as cabin crew.
Dead giveaway when operating crew address you in a familiar manner.

raintime
14th Aug 2003, 00:11
2nozee

Our company (perhaps the same one, MON) has the same rule and I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply to flightdeck; or at least it hasn't been pointed out to me.

This rule was first introduced to ensure that everyone turned up 'smartly' even though most of our positioning is done far from the eyes of possible passengers. These days ties are being slowly removed by upper management and indeed some UK cabin crew uniforms. Being 'smartly' dressed does not mean wearing a tie these days.

No doubt our company will change their mind but if past history is a guide it'll take some time. All they need to say is don't turn up wearing clothes like Beckham!

missleadfoot
15th Aug 2003, 10:12
I guess you mean by "coaching" is travelling by coach as I understand in the UK you guys have to do that occasionly due to the closeness of airports. How ridiculous to have a crew travelling by coach dressed in a tie. I do understand the company requirements, yes we have to maintain the standard of the company etc when we are paxing etc but even on a plane it's totally ridiculous. This is 2003!! Show me any latest fashion with a tie. Business dress these days is still on the conservative side but has a more liberal and relaxed attitude. I would certainly turn up for an interview in a suit and tie but paxing, no way.
As far as the tech crew are concerned I would argue the fact that we are all crew under the same banner, we represent the same airline and there for should adhere to the same dress standards when paxing. Aren't you a team?? Do you have CRM??
Chat to the relevent managers and get this sorted. You will probably discover it is a rule that was written years ago and no one has bothered to update it. With the right tact and assurances that no one will abuse the relaxed rule you should be able to get away with less stringent dress standards. Smart casual can still look as good as business when paxing.