PDA

View Full Version : Ranitidine

Splork2000
11th Aug 2003, 04:07
Hi, does taking Ranitidine have any impact on my medical? I have been taking low doses (75mg) to control heartburn.

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Aug 2003, 05:42
Depends what you take it for (the underlying condition) and what dose and when you take it and who is the issueing authority.

So may be yes may be no.

Talk to your AME.

FD

iainpoll
12th Aug 2003, 01:48
I used to use Ranitidine for acid reflux. Found that it becomes less effective over time, and the better long term fix (for me) was to cut out the fat, cut out the alcohol (or reduce it);) Plus keep a packet of Rennies in the flight back.

AME was not bothered in my case, unless the acid pain became debilitating. The diet adjustment means I rarely even take a Rennie these days.

ausdoc
12th Aug 2003, 07:32
As Flyin'Dutch' says, it really depends on the underlying condition. Ranitidine may mask the symptoms of more serious underlying conditions, especially peptic ulcers.

See your AME and get it investigated first.

Splork2000
12th Aug 2003, 13:32
Thanks so far. From what I see, Ranitidine itself is not proscribed, but a serious ailment being masked by it might be?

I don't think I have an ulcer or anything serious besides occasional liver abuse:} but I will check with the medico just to be safe.

Splorks

gingernut
14th Aug 2003, 16:36
Splork, you need a proper medical assessment.

There are a few issues with your post:

a) Yes, the antacid medication may be hiding an underlying serious condition, which could be treated properly.

(The risk of this depends on lots of things, which your doc. should elicit - it would be unusual in some one of tender years - ie under 45ish.)

b) There may be an underlying condition causing your symptoms which could be erradicated quite simply. (there is a germ which is sometimes responsible for heartburn called h-pylori which is simple to test for, and simple to treat.

c) My colleagues may disagree with this, but the dose of ranitidine you are taking could be seen as being sub-therapeutic, ie not enough to do the job properly. (if your symptoms keep returning then I would suggest you need a different dose / rgime of treatment.

Finally, don't forget the lifestyle issues- usual culprits I'm afraid - fags, booze and rock and roll lifestyle !

Final tip - chew your food well, let your teeth do the work, not your digestive tract, and sit down for 20 mins after eating.

Random Electron
18th Aug 2003, 18:47
Splork, I was in your position a year or two ago. Went to my GP who ordered a gastroscopy examination (fibre-opticc camera goes down your neck for a look see - don't worry, you are well out!)
A rather unpleasant patch of inflammation was found, which was easily fixed with tablets, (can't remember the name, but they were prescription only, and not ranitidine). Very effective, and the sypmtoms never returned. I am told my condition could possibly have ended up as an ulcer, if left untreated. So get it seen to - eh?