PDA

View Full Version : Carry on items

GustyOrange
10th Aug 2003, 20:36
Could someone please answer a question I have regarding carry on items ?

My father has an allergy which hasn't been diagnosed. This means that he has to carry an epipen and syringe with him at all times.

Could someone let me know if this will be taken from him when he boards an aircraft ?

He has a letter from the hospital explaining the need for the syringe to be carried at all times.

Thanks for any replies.

Gusty

galley-wench22
10th Aug 2003, 21:27
Providing he has a letter from a doc advising that he must travel with these items in his carry on, it is usually fine.

I persoanlly would check with the airline directly as policies do vary.

PAXboy
11th Aug 2003, 11:29
Contact the airline in advance of flight. Send them copies of the medical papers and get a reply. You may have to be hanging off the phone but get a paper from them.

I would not rate his chances of just turning up with the papers from his doctor that could be forged and expect to get on. If he has papers from the airline and his ticket file has a note attached, then it ought to be ok.

(Note I do not work for an airline and I am just trying to apply common sense to the problem. :ugh: )

pinni
12th Aug 2003, 01:04
Dear Gusty,

I agree with the others, phone the airline informing them of the flight and that your father will be carrying an epipen. They will advise you of the procedures.

They then should send a brief to the crew on the day, so all will know and there should be no problem. Unfortunately with so many peanut allergies etc these days it is quite common for people to have epipen. Being cabin crew I would rather someone with a severe allergy problem have the adrenalin than not!!!

Regards Pinni

GustyOrange
15th Aug 2003, 03:41
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have advised my father to contact the airline to inform them that he will be carrying the epipen.

Gusty

ExSimGuy
18th Aug 2003, 22:40
Sure - I can just imagine the bearded guy with the bandage on his head producing a letter from "Dr. Ali, Tehran Medical Centre" might just not cut it trying to board an AA flight :hmm:

GalleyWench
22nd Aug 2003, 09:21
Gusty, it should not be a rpoblem carrying noboard the syringe- diabetic pax as well as ones with severe allergies carry syringes. As cabin crew- my concern is where they are disposed of. if your father does not carry a container for safe disposal please notify cabin crew that you need to dospose of one so that they may use a 'sharps" container for proper disposal. DO NOT leave it in a seatback pocket, dump it in the trash or leave it on a tray. I have found them in all of these areas and had I pricked myself- you can imagine the worry. All longhaul carriers should have a safe disposal method for syringes- on a short flight you will likely need to take the used syringe with you.

PAXboy
22nd Aug 2003, 18:44
GW: I thought that I had heard most of the stupid things that people could do in an aeroplane but ... finding syringes in a seat back pocket? Since the standard way of checking would almost always be to 'scoop' with your hand. Staggering. :ouch:

Wot No Engines
23rd Aug 2003, 10:00
Whilst re-checking the list of banned items on Qantas last night, I spotted their requirements for syringes - you need to have the prescription with you and show it to security.