PDA

View Full Version : Qantas keen to embrace sexy Brazilian

Wirraway
9th Aug 2003, 22:43
Sat "Australian financial Review"

Qantas keen to embrace sexy Brazilian
Author: Ben Sandilands

This is the Brazilian pin-up that you will find on the walls in the back rooms at Qantas, Virgin Blue and REX. It's not a giant Airbus or a sleek Boeing Dreamliner; it's an Embraer 190.

JetBlue, the funky New York City-based low-cost carrier, has just ordered 100 of them, scaring the daylights out of the likes of American and United.

They can't afford to buy a Tiger Moth between them as carriers like JetBlue rack up monster profits from low fares and smart work practices.

Qantas has been especially interested in evaluating the sexy Brazilian, available in various sizes from next month, because it could see off its unloved fleet of BAE 146s and its much-loved but range-challenged 717s.

You should be interested, too. The Embraer has no middle seats, and each pair of seats is wider than anything in economy class in any domestic jet today.

It would beat the pants off the stuffy little Dash-8s that QantasLink flies to Canberra and Coffs Harbour.

With between 70 and 115 seats, it's probably the right size to bring regular jet flights to Tamworth, Devonport, Dubbo, Newcastle, Broken Hill and similar corners of the country without the misery of turbo-prop turbulence and children barfing all over you.

If ever there was a jet sized for developing tourism and improving regional links for business travellers, this is it.

But the Embraer 190 is not the only red-hot seller in a game where most airlines are still in a state of post-September 11/post-Iraq/post-SARS trauma.

JetBlue has bought another 65 of the twice-as-large Airbus A320s and could have more than 200 of those 156-passenger jets in service by 2011.

Virgin Blue, which lusts after a regional jet like the Embraer range, has helped Boeing keep its venerable 737 as top of the pops, including other huge sales to AirTran and Southwest in the United States and the rude, crude but oh-so-cheap Ryanair in Europe.

For those who would like to fly more comfortably when they go overseas, all is not lost.

Boeing's new 200-passenger Dreamliner has no prospects as yet, since it is waiting to see how many international carriers actually live to fly another day, but it is arousing intense interest with a jet designed for whoever survives.

The Dreamliner has seats as wide as those of the broad Brazilian, and such big, round windows and such a curvaceous tail that the stitched-up American could almost be accused of resorting to sensuous design to win over the airlines.

===========================================

pickle sandwich
9th Aug 2003, 22:56
Wirraway, with all due respect, if you get turned on by what you have written............................well,,,,,,,,,can i put it another way.................sorry to offend,,,,,,,,,,,well the planes crap!.....sorry.

Torres
10th Aug 2003, 06:51
Pickle. Whilst I defer to your obvious technical competence and particular experience and knowledge of Embraer aircarft, I'm yet to see a dud export aircraft come out of Embraer. Obviously the highly efficient and profitable JetBlue doesn't agree with you either!

Incase you missed it, Wirraway is an excellent source of impartial news items. I don't think he's suggesting he gets "turned on" by what he has written.

http://www.embraer.com/english/content/aeronaves/aviacao_comercial/erj190100/galeria/images/03g.jpg

Nice looking aircraft!!! :ok:

Torres
10th Aug 2003, 09:09
Maximum cruise speed (Mach .80): 470 kts 870 km/h
Time to climb to FL 350 (500nm): 15 min
Take off field length (SL, ISA, MTOW): 6,329 ft 1.929 m
Take off field length (SL, ISA, 500nm): 4,222 ft 1.287 m
Landing field length (SL, ISA, MLW): 4,524 ft 1.379 m
Range full pax, LRC: 2,300 nm 4.260 km

The performance figures give it away as a "regional" jet, rather than a domestic trunk route aircraft. Nice field performance - as you say BIK, tyre pressures may be a problem at Australian regional airports. And if it displays the same very competitive (for their day) seat/mile costs of the EMB110 and EMB120, it will be a winner. :ok:

The web site doesn't indicate what engines it uses. Any idea?

Soulman
10th Aug 2003, 11:25
Guys,

I'm with you - the Embraer is one nice looking bird! All agreed, it would look great in the Qantas livery, and the comments in "The Australian" justify it's performance and suitability in the Australian market.

The 170 performed at the Paris airshow in June this year, and from all accounts, the display was well received, as seen here (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/367288/M/). The cockpit (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/259345/M/) looks great and the cabin (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/257862/M/) appears very spacious indeed.

Look forward to seeing it around the traps!

Cheers,

Souls.

P.S > Questioning it's landing strip suitability ;) (i.e, hard, rough strips), I thought a Brazillian was soft, smooth and free of stubble! ;)

EPIRB
10th Aug 2003, 12:15
Rumour has it that they will be replacing the 717's as QF aren't happy with them for the long term.

hoss
10th Aug 2003, 12:36
Bring em on.

Safe flying, hoss:)

MoFo
10th Aug 2003, 16:34
The only Brazilian i'd like to check out ain't an aircraft.

Kanga767
10th Aug 2003, 18:01
The Embraer 170/190 series is the way of the forseeable future guys and gals.

By the way, the first ones in the country probably won't wear a white Kangaroo...

K

AIRWAY
10th Aug 2003, 20:03
Hi all,

Got some photos of the Emb170 cockpit, interior and exterior that i took in Lisbon/Portugal while they were presenting the aircraft to Portugalia Airlines a potential customer for Emb170/190 ( Already operating Emb145 ).

If anyone is interested in seeing them just drop me a PM.

Thanks

B772
11th Aug 2003, 10:52
I know QF were keen on the Dornier 728/928 and were planning a joint order with BA for 60 a/c.

This was in spite of the Dornier being more expensive to purchase than the Embraer due to a 128 inch cross section and stand up height of 86 inches etc etc.

There is now no other real alternative to the Embraer for operations in Australia.

Eurocap
21st Aug 2003, 17:32
Great move. A few other operators should look at it too.

:D ;)