PDA

View Full Version : 'Blue Star' Callsign Is History

Easy226
9th Aug 2003, 21:10
Hi everyone, just thought i'd say that with the recent chages going on with Maersk and Duo Airways, the callsign has now changed to 'Flyduo' as I heard it in use on the 25N service from Nice. I guess the change occoured today.
Many Thanks
Dan

P.Pilcher
9th Aug 2003, 22:40
Well, once it was 'Birmex' Happy memories!

Blighty Pilot
10th Aug 2003, 05:59
Actually it occured on the 7th of august at 0001 hrs. FLYDUO is a bit of a mouthfull and the french especially can't/won't pronounce it.They tend to resort to using the three letter code DAW and making the callsign Delta Alpha Whiskey 25 November etc etc. The only trouble is that on the radar screen at a glance DAW and BAW (British Airways) look very similar so sometimes we even end up being called Speedbird 25 November etc etc.:confused:

Easy226
10th Aug 2003, 20:31
Oh right, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm sure the callsign takes a little bit of getting used to. Incidently, how long has the traditional 'blue star' callsign been in use for?

BP, I take it you fly for Duo and I was wondering if you add on time to your flight if you know that 33 is in use say when arriving from the north? I'm off to BB on thursday for my hols to Majorca, you flying out that day?
Many Thanks
Dan

boredcounter
12th Aug 2003, 06:01
'Bluestar" at a guess around for 8-9 years as our callsign. I have been here for ten years, and can just remember the change.
Before that, as stated earlier, it was good old 'Birmex'. I cannot vouch for the c/sign 1992-3 as Brymon European, as that was just a bit before my time.

'Whitestar' was not available at the time, as it was I believe, being used by a Moller owned freight outfit, who's name escapes me. (StarAir ?). Anyone know if they have been dumped to fend for themselves?

Bored

Edit poor spellink.........

AirportsEd
12th Aug 2003, 21:42
Bored,
During the Brymon European bit, to begin with (Oct 1 1992) both B'ham European and Brymon maintained their original callsigns (Birmex/Brymon) and because the operational side of the merger took place so near to the start of the winter 92/3 season, the RPL's were already in place and so the callsigns remained the same until the summer 93 season when all were changed to 'Brymon.'
As you will know, no sooner had that taken place, it was all change again!
I remember that 'Whitestar', 'Bluestar', 'Viking' and 'Longboat' were amongst the names suggested before Bluestar was chosen. As you say, Whitestar (and Viking) were already being used elsewhere. (Whitestar would have made them sound like the Titanic anyway!)
Anyway, I'm off to the doctor to find out why I can remember such useless trivia, when I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing next!
Cheers.