PDA

View Full Version : Newark Battle of Britain Night

ID90
9th Aug 2003, 19:08
Made my way up the A1 to Newark last night to see the 'Battle of Britain' evening at the Town Hall. Gerald 'Stapme' Stapelton - one of 7 BoB vets present - gave a very amusing talk about his RAF days and a good time was had by all.
Well done to the guys who put this event together - I look forward to the next one.

AirportsEd
12th Aug 2003, 21:11
Yes it was a good night. I enjoyed the banter that went on between the vet's.
After Gerald 'Stapme' Stapleton had finished his talk, Ken McKenzie stood up to ask the audience to remember the Hurricane and its huge contribution to the battle. No sooner had Ken finished saying his bit, 'Stapme' was stright in again saying that that the Spit was the easily the superior machine.
Hours later, right at the end, after most had gone home, I was one of a group of three or four people left talking with Stapme, when he suddenly asked "Is that chap who was talking up the Hurricane still here?" - I though he was going to ask Ken to step outside and settle it - man to man - once and for all!
Fortunately, Ken had gone home as he probably would have stepped outside!
Great characters all of them, I really hope I get the chance to go to something similar agian.