PDA

View Full Version : FAA licenses around the globe??

df1
9th Aug 2003, 07:19
Hi,

Maybe someone could help me out with a question that seems to remain unanswered (for me at least!).

With respect to the FAA licensing of pilots (specifically Commercial and ATP) what is the general rule on acceptance of those licenses globally? After having a debate with another pilot I admit to being confused as to where I may or may not fly.

I am aware that I may operate an N-reg aircraft outside of the US (in accordance with appropriate rules and regs), but what of flying foreign registered aircraft. For example, if i wish to obtain a Maldivian or Sri Lankan license or just simply fly one of their aircraft, is it simply a case of completeing paperwork?

Maybe somebody could let me know which countries readily accept FAA as a suitable licence for validation/conversion and which countries require a more lengthy procedure.

Thanks for the help with this one guys.
df1

kazumichik
10th Aug 2003, 08:13
After a few years flying in Japan and Africa I learned that the answer to your question is - It all depends.

For example, converting to Zambian licenses involved a cheesy technical exam and a $50 "examination fee" - payable in cash with no receipt, of course.

Botswana converted my FAA licenses after a very easy air law test for which the answers were widely available. Took about two weeks for them to do the paperwork.

Was trying to get a job flying for a South African company. Unique arrangement there where they had two levels of licenses - one allowed you to fly South African-registered aircraft but only OUTSIDE the country. This one was fairly easy to get - an air law test and some forms, I think. The other that let you fly them in the country was much more difficult to get involving some flight instruction, pricey course, etc.

Tanzania/Kenya. Buddies told me that converting your licenses there was straightforward if you had an ATP. It involved three or four months and a judicious application of "administrative processing fees" - cash, no receipt. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge. These were pressing $1000 US in '99.

Japan? Abandon all hope all ye who try to convert your licenses here without the help of a company. Want an ATP? A friend was told that he would have to supply a light jet for the checkride. C172s were renting there for about $300 an hour at that time so do the math. Very possibly the must anally retentive system outside of Europe.

Pick your country and make your phone calls is about the only general rule that I know of. The good news is that alot of the world's aviation regulatory authorities are small and accessible unlike the behemoth that is the FAA.

Your bigger problem will be getting a work permit.

weasil
10th Aug 2003, 12:57
FAA certificates are easily converted to a Sri Lankan License. Not a big deal.

Panama Jack
10th Aug 2003, 21:10
In General, the coversion of professional licenses from any country to any other requires at minimum one or more written exams and one or more flight tests. Some countries will simply allow a license to be processed over paperworkwise for Private, non-commercial, recreational flying. One or two might even take your FAA certificate at face value, but these are few and far between. Of course, as you accurately have observed there are N-registered aircraft flying workwide and all you need for those is the FAA Certificate.

DOH
24th Aug 2003, 06:07
In Ireland and the UK you can fly private, day VFR without formality, It does not matter what is painted on the side of the a/c, if you want to earn a living or fly in the clouds however things get more difficult.

airbus172
25th Aug 2003, 02:34
strangely, you don't have to have an FAA ticket to fly N registered aircraft outside of the US. All you need is the acceptance of the state in which it is flying, that your licence is sufficient.

Panama Jack
29th Aug 2003, 01:19
This is true and gives the US aviation industry somewhat of a leg up. In a way, the US is to aircraft registration what Panama and Liberia are to ship registration. Many N registered transport aircraft are leased to the world's airlines.