PDA

View Full Version : FAA licences and the Caribbean??

df1
9th Aug 2003, 07:03
Hi,

Just a general question to see if FAA licenses, specifically Comm/Multi/IR, are acceptable for commercial flying in the Caribbean and surrounding areas. If there is a validation process, does anyone know what it is? And also, if applicable, are there many FAA pilots flying in that area?

The reason for my question is that I hold FAA licenses and I am looking at the global acceptance of FAA versus JAA (for example). Although living in the UK I have been happily flying on FAA for some time but I am pondering doing a JAA course, finances permitting!

Thanks in advance guys.
df1.

Panama Jack
9th Aug 2003, 16:51
It depends on what part of the Caribbean you are talking about. It also depends on your citizenship and work authorizations. For example, on islands like the Turks and Caicos the FAA Certificate is used. In other, European posessions, the Euro licenses are the only paper acceptable.

Always Moving
9th Aug 2003, 17:14
more details plz

blue_side_up
17th Aug 2003, 04:23
An ICAO license will be validated for 6 months in most Caribbean Islands, except for the French ones, where I believe you must have a JAR license, and speak French. In the non-French islands, you can sometimes get a second validation for another 6 months, but that depends on the mood of the person in the licensing authority, and the political sway/connections of the company you are working for. If you can't get a second validation, you can always write the local exams for a local license. In the Eastern Caribbean Islands that means essentially writing some old UK 'Tech' papers (strangely they don't ask you to do any 'Navs'), plus a type exam on your aircraft type.
In short, if the Caribbean is your goal, and unless you are set on working on a French island, forget the trouble of a JAR license.